Personality Cafe banner

If you have, please answer by choosing your type below.

• ESFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTJ

• ENFJ

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ESFP

• ESTP

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • ENTP

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • ENFP

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • INFJ

Votes: 39 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • ISFP

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • ISTP

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • INTP

Votes: 41 18.9%
  • INFP

Votes: 58 26.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I was diagnosed with GAD in the past, but it seems to be fairly situational. I've done a lot of work in the last two years and this fall will mark 2 years since I've had a panic attack, and 2 years since it seriously affected my life, and 1 year since I've been off meds.

:D

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Yes, in high school I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and have since been diagnosed with panic disorder with agoraphobia, and ptsd.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've been diagnosed with Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Disorder. Right off the bat, I stated that I didn't want drugs. I have a feeling that this irritated my psychiatrist quite a bit, as we spent almost half the first session arguing about the ethics of prescription drugs, especially as applied to children as young as 6. Plus I didn't really feel comfortable opening up to her, and overall it wasn't really helping me, so I just stopped going after about 5 sessions.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder when I was 11 or 12. Since then, I have been on various anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drugs. I tried Paxil and Zoloft when I was younger and those two were evil. I felt like a total zombie while on them and they did nothing for my anxiety or depression.

Right now, I am seeing a psychiatrist who seems to be pretty good in her field. She doesn't want to just hand me drugs to shut me up. She is working with me on CBT. We'll see how that goes. Within the past several months, I have tried so many drugs that I have lost track of. But currently I am on Wellbutrin, Valproic Acid, Olanzapine, and Clonazepam, and I take Lorazepam when I am particularly stressed. Surprisingly, I don't feel like a zombie at all when I am on all of this medication, so I am thankful for that. The only thing is that I have this fear now that if I don't take a benzodiazepine before school or work that I will become overwhelmed. I feel like I need it and I'm afraid that this will turn into an addiction.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nope. owo

I was clinically diagnosed with depression back in middle school, but I eventually got over it. :)

Reactions: Staffan

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I've been diagnosed with Social Phobia/Social Anxiety Disorder. Right off the bat, I stated that I didn't want drugs. I have a feeling that this irritated my psychiatrist quite a bit, as we spent almost half the first session arguing about the ethics of prescription drugs, especially as applied to children as young as 6. Plus I didn't really feel comfortable opening up to her, and overall it wasn't really helping me, so I just stopped going after about 5 sessions.
You had this problem when you were 6 or was it just part of the discussion for some other reason?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder when I was 11 or 12. Since then, I have been on various anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drugs. I tried Paxil and Zoloft when I was younger and those two were evil. I felt like a total zombie while on them and they did nothing for my anxiety or depression.

Right now, I am seeing a psychiatrist who seems to be pretty good in her field. She doesn't want to just hand me drugs to shut me up. She is working with me on CBT. We'll see how that goes. Within the past several months, I have tried so many drugs that I have lost track of. But currently I am on Wellbutrin, Valproic Acid, Olanzapine, and Clonazepam, and I take Lorazepam when I am particularly stressed. Surprisingly, I don't feel like a zombie at all when I am on all of this medication, so I am thankful for that. The only thing is that I have this fear now that if I don't take a benzodiazepine before school or work that I will become overwhelmed. I feel like I need it and I'm afraid that this will turn into an addiction.
That's what I was talking about earlier, that perhaps the pills make you feel like the fix has to come from outside. But if your therapist is in to CBT she probably has some plan forward. And remember that loads of people get through this and end up without medication.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nah. I had a panic attack when I was 11, but it scared me into not worrying about things any more, if that makes any sense! :laughing:
Can't say it does, but then again I've never had a panic attack. If I'm in a really stressful situation like an accident I'll sometimes blackout. Fight, flight, freeze or faint - maybe it's just different wiring.

·
Banned
891 Posts
I forgot to mention PTSD. I had a traumatic upbringing, and after I left my parents' home and learned what it was like to be free of them, I started panicking at the mere thought of being around them. The more I encountered them, the more I panicked (and I experienced some repressed memories as well). Lately, I've been hit by a ton of repressed/traumatic memories from my past. I don't really "re-live" the traumas, but the memories make me panic.

I have a serious stinging-insect phobia as well (wasps and bees). When a wasp flies in my face (and they will do that- they are more aggressive than honeybees), I just lose it and start panicking. A negative encounter with a wasp will ruin my entire day- I just can't stop thinking about the encounter when it happens.

I have major depression as well, which seems to go hand-in-hand with anxiety disorders. No wonder I'm a wreck. :(

·
Banned
891 Posts
Nah. I had a panic attack when I was 11, but it scared me into not worrying about things any more, if that makes any sense! :laughing:
Frankly, that doesn't make any sense to me. I've only had a few panic attacks, but I wouldn't be surprised if being a GAD sufferer contributed to them.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I forgot to mention PTSD. I had a traumatic upbringing, and after I left my parents' home and learned what it was like to be free of them, I started panicking at the mere thought of being around them. The more I encountered them, the more I panicked (and I experienced some repressed memories as well). Lately, I've been hit by a ton of repressed/traumatic memories from my past. I don't really "re-live" the traumas, but the memories make me panic.

I have a serious stinging-insect phobia as well (wasps and bees). When a wasp flies in my face (and they will do that- they are more aggressive than honeybees), I just lose it and start panicking. A negative encounter with a wasp will ruin my entire day- I just can't stop thinking about the encounter when it happens.

I have major depression as well, which seems to go hand-in-hand with anxiety disorders. No wonder I'm a wreck. :(
From what I've read about it depression seems like a consequence of anxiety. Since anxiety is so draining and depression seems to be a lot about running out of energy and losing momentum.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
From what I've read about it depression seems like a consequence of anxiety. Since anxiety is so draining and depression seems to be a lot about running out of energy and losing momentum.
Right, it's analogous to two tops spinning in opposite directions striking each other at random; the feedback keeps the two spinning. The depression is often a result of a feeling of hopelessness and loss of control, or negative self-talk.

·
Banned
891 Posts
I have no idea whether that is true or not, just that they tend to go hand in hand. I know that psychiatrists have told me that in a case where both anxiety and depression are present, then the depression must be dealt with first. Apparently, it is almost impossible to do it the other way around- doctors have said that my depression is more damaging than my anxiety.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Not diagnosed as such, no. I do know that I probably have some kind of anxiety disorder though, and the therapist I saw before gave me a leaflet based on it as well. I was diagnosed with having depression a while ago though, not much has improved or changed since then either XD. Otherwise... yeah, never had panic attacks but I'm pretty afraid of most social situations, talking to people in person, on the phone, avoiding people... stuff like that x__x; it's quite annoying too...

Reactions: Staffan

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have no idea whether that is true or not, just that they tend to go hand in hand. I know that psychiatrists have told me that in a case where both anxiety and depression are present, then the depression must be dealt with first. Apparently, it is almost impossible to do it the other way around- doctors have said that my depression is more damaging than my anxiety.

That's maybe because depressed people often become so passive they can't tackle anything.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I can't leave the house without taking my Clonazepam in the morning and I can't sleep without taking it at night. I had been taking Seroquel but it had to be stopped because it interacts with my pituitary adenoma.
Do you know what caused your adenoma? Just out of curiosity..

21 - 40 of 197 Posts