Personality Cafe banner

If you have, please answer by choosing your type below.

• ESFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESTJ

• ENFJ

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • ESFP

• ESTP

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • ENTP

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • ENFP

Votes: 18 8.3%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • INFJ

Votes: 39 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • ISFP

Votes: 10 4.6%
  • ISTP

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • INTP

Votes: 41 18.9%
  • INFP

Votes: 58 26.7%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I was 18 at the time; the discussion came about when I brought up that I had been prescribed adderall at the age of 6, and I questioned the ethics of that.
Yeah it's weird how many kids get amphetamines these days and at six years old...hm. Given the side effect and how little is known about long term effects you'd think they be a little more restrictive with it. But in some states in America 10 percent of the schoolchildren take ADHD medication. I suspect that's largely for parents and teachers rather than for the kids.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Do you know what caused your adenoma? Just out of curiosity..
No. I'm not sure what causes them. My doctors didn't give me that much detail and I can't find anything that explains their causes. Mine is a specific type - a prolactinoma - it's an adenoma that secretes prolactin. I didn't realize I had it until I started to lactate. That scared the crap out of me.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
No. I'm not sure what causes them. My doctors didn't give me that much detail and I can't find anything that explains their causes. Mine is a specific type - a prolactinoma - it's an adenoma that secretes prolactin. I didn't realize I had it until I started to lactate. That scared the crap out of me.
:( Sorry to hear that.. I asked because some drugs are known to cause them. Specifically anti-psychotics. And I'm such a damn hypochondriac that because I took one for a few years I thought I might have one. But I don't ever recall lactating. Then again supposedly the lactation stops once you stop the drug.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
:( Sorry to hear that.. I asked because some drugs are known to cause them. Specifically anti-psychotics. And I'm such a damn hypochondriac that because I took one for a few years I thought I might have one. But I don't ever recall lactating. Then again supposedly the lactation stops once you stop the drug.
It wasn't caused by the Seroquel I was taking, I had only been on it for a few months. The tumor had been growing for at least 5 or 6 years.

I was scared because I had read that it was one of the symptoms of breast cancer in men.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Yes, and I'm a xNTJ. Most likely INTJ. I've always had an anxiety disorder since I was very young, though I don't acknowledge it as part of me. I fight it every single day. It's not part of who I am. It's truly a disorder that stops me from doing what I want to do. It infuriates me. I'm getting worked up thinking about it.

I also have had depression since I was young which has escalated to psychotic depression, mood disorder, paranoia, whatever. One doctor said I could become schizophrenic in the future. These disorders have made it difficult to find out my MBTI type and who I am in general.

Let me say that if you look at me from the outside it appears to seem like I don't have anxiety. Inside my thoughts can repeat over and over. I'm a professional in keeping my expression stoic and my moods level. It's not that bad currently though. I'm so close to finally be free. I am not going to lose this fight.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yes, and I'm a xNTJ. Most likely INTJ. I've always had an anxiety disorder since I was very young, though I don't acknowledge it as part of me. I fight it every single day. It's not part of who I am. It's truly a disorder that stops me from doing what I want to do. It infuriates me. I'm getting worked up thinking about it.

I also have had depression since I was young which has escalated to psychotic depression, mood disorder, paranoia, whatever. One doctor said I could become schizophrenic in the future. These disorders have made it difficult to find out my MBTI type and who I am in general.

Let me say that if you look at me from the outside it appears to seem like I don't have anxiety. Inside my thoughts can repeat over and over. I'm a professional in keeping my expression stoic and my moods level. It's not that bad currently though. I'm so close to finally be free. I am not going to lose this fight.
It may not be who you are, but I'm betting these things are related to who you are. Most people who have paranoia and psychotic symptoms are introverted. That doesn't mean you can't get rid of the symptoms though.

Your doctors prediction seems a bit unprofessional. Or is that part of some therapy?

I have that too, that it doesn't show on the outside. Not even under extreme stress or pain. Which can be a bad thing, like after a traffic accident they thought I was much better than I was.

Glad to hear you're improving. And even if you have a setback remember that's not the end of the world.

·
Banned
2,005 Posts
I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and given Celexa, which took the edge off while I was on the smallest possible dose. When the doctor upped me to the "full" dose, I was zombified. Felt nothing, wanted nothing, and did nothing above and beyond what was required for survival. It was a similar sort of mental deadness that I experience during depressive episodes (last diagnosis was Bipolar II, after which, I stopped bothering to see people for my issues), so I figured it wasn't worth taking.

Even when I was a small child, I was always extremely anxious and prone to melancholy, but I've found it more productive to structure my life in such a way that I can more easily cope with this tendency. Keeping to a schedule, eating right, exercising, and getting enough regular sleep works wonders. I'm not at 100%, and only vaguely have an idea of what 100% would feel like, but I believe I'm getting closer.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well, the poll result is kind of depressing. :unsure:

I'm an INTP and I have OCD.

Yeah, people reply but they don't vote for some reason. I thought this format would be great because it gives a picture of what (if any) type has anxiety disorders. My guess creating this poll was that INFPs would dominate, but so far it seems like a lot of INTPs.

Edit: just saw the results. INFPs are slightly above the average acccording to the @vanWinchester census. But INTPs are way above - 13 percent on the site and 30 percent on the poll. Interesting to see if that holds up. Maybe INTPs overthink things?

It seems like the Neuroticism of other personality theories has been spread out on I, F, N and possibly P in the MBTI. The theory has been criticized for portraying people as having only good qualities which may be related to this.

·
Registered
567 Posts
INTJ with a mild case of OCD; leaning more towards the obsessive side of it that compulsive.

I have tendencies which point towards Avoidant, Borderline and Narcissistic personality disorders (in order of most to least prominent), but I don't consider the signs and symptoms to be negligible enough to the point where even if I did technically suffer from them, they'd not be worth mentioning.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
INTJ with a mild case of OCD; leaning more towards the obsessive side of it that compulsive.

I have tendencies which point towards Avoidant, Borderline and Narcissistic personality disorders (in order of most to least prominent), but I don't consider the signs and symptoms to be negligible enough to the point where even if I did technically suffer from them, they'd not be worth mentioning.
I haven't given the distinction between obsessive and compulsive much though, but I'm clearly compulsive with very few intrusive thoughts. In fact, when I carry out my little "chores" I'm often thinking about how crazy it is. I imagine obsessive is worse because it's really in your head.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I haven't given the distinction between obsessive and compulsive much though, but I'm clearly compulsive with very few intrusive thoughts. In fact, when I carry out my little "chores" I'm often thinking about how crazy it is. I imagine obsessive is worse because it's really in your head.
Sure, things get into my head pretty damn easily, but it's not something that bothers me too much because I'm mostly just following really bizarre lines of enquiry to their absolutely conclusion, which compliments my irrational desire to know pretty much everything! In fact I've successfully managed to obsess over some pretty useful subjects in the past! I'd go in the opposite direction to you, actually. I think I'd find the compulsive side of it to be really frustrating and inconvenient. I guess we get used to what we have!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Sure, things get into my head pretty damn easily, but it's not something that bothers me too much because I'm mostly just following really bizarre lines of enquiry to their absolutely conclusion, which compliments my irrational desire to know pretty much everything! In fact I've successfully managed to obsess over some pretty useful subjects in the past! I'd go in the opposite direction to you, actually. I think I'd find the compulsive side of it to be really frustrating and inconvenient. I guess we get used to what we have!
Sounds like you get to choose what to obsess about, but normally intrusive thoughts are annoying and often unpleasant too. Maybe you lean more to OCDPD? I certainly can't use my compulsions in a constructive way; I just try to keep them at a minimum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
INFJ, I'm seeing the trend here on this poll. I had more severe anxiety when I was younger, however I never vocalized it to anyone and fear of hurting them or becoming a burden. So in a sense the anxiety attacks and general nervousness was almost entirely isolated in my mind. Having grown older I grew to enjoy my Ti tertiary function over my Fe auxiliary function do to my environment and experiences. I don't have many issues now and only minor anxiety, mainly towards family and finance's. My doctor did prescribe me some Xanax, which definitely helps when my thoughts don't want to let me function. To the point where I dropped 30lbs, because I would not remember to eat do to emotional input from my home. Going to a therapist and/or family or friends and just talking greatly helps. The only thing that struck me as odd though is when I would predict there reaction, advice, mood, and even words. So in a way it was almost as if I projected my subconscious thoughts and used other people more as a mirror to talk to myself. Just two pennies from my past.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
INFJ, I'm seeing the trend here on this poll. I had more severe anxiety when I was younger, however I never vocalized it to anyone and fear of hurting them or becoming a burden. So in a sense the anxiety attacks and general nervousness was almost entirely isolated in my mind. Having grown older I grew to enjoy my Ti tertiary function over my Fe auxiliary function do to my environment and experiences. I don't have many issues now and only minor anxiety, mainly towards family and finance's. My doctor did prescribe me some Xanax, which definitely helps when my thoughts don't want to let me function. To the point where I dropped 30lbs, because I would not remember to eat do to emotional input from my home. Going to a therapist and/or family or friends and just talking greatly helps. The only thing that struck me as odd though is when I would predict there reaction, advice, mood, and even words. So in a way it was almost as if I projected my subconscious thoughts and used other people more as a mirror to talk to myself. Just two pennies from my past.
The trend so far is that INFJs are twice as common in the poll as on the site. That was pretty much what I expected. I'm more surprised by the INTPs.

I have also noticed that I can predict what people will say sometimes, and I'm not imagining it because sometimes it's stuff that's completely irrelevant to the conversation or the exact words.

Also, keep in mind that Xanax and similar drugs are addictive and not for long-term use. But your doctor has probably told you that already.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds like you get to choose what to obsess about, but normally intrusive thoughts are annoying and often unpleasant too. Maybe you lean more to OCDPD? I certainly can't use my compulsions in a constructive way; I just try to keep them at a minimum.
Not choose, no. I just have some control over how I direct my obsessions. Researching into issues relevant into whatever thoughts have thrust themselves upon me helps relieve my anxiety.For example, I had an episode about two months ago where I couldn't get the idea of simple illnesses developing deathly complications out. This led to me learning quite a bit about the spread of disease, though I do get a little overly cautious now as a result!

I wouldn't say I use compulsions in a constructive way, really. Just in a less frustrating and wasteful way.

41 - 60 of 197 Posts