Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had a "just knowing" of where you'll end up even if it doesn't look possible in the present moment?? Has it always been true??

So, as examples:
... a "just knowing" that a certain job is perfect for you.
... a "just knowing" that you'll end up getting married to a certain person.
... a "just knowing" that you will end up being good friends with someone.
... a "just knowing" that you will date this person for now, but it won't last beyond X amount of time.

Of course, there are surprises and twists along the way on getting there but the outcome is still the same as to what you initially felt that 10 months, 1 year, or 2 years before it actually happens.

Any INFJs out there relate??

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Sorry that I'm INFP :blushed:

I've had too many ''just knowing'' moments in my life. They always turn out correct, but I am often slowed down by doubt and negativity. *Sigh* Trying to fight it.

I think everyone has had their experiences of hunches.

Example, how I ''just knew'' some people hated me without telling me. Or that some people only want to take advantage of me. Even without concrete proof, but in the end I often experience much more regret during letting them in instead of turning away from them.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry that I'm INFP :blushed:

I've had too many ''just knowing'' moments in my life. They always turn out correct, but I am often slowed down by doubt and negativity. *Sigh* Trying to fight it.

I think everyone has had their experiences of hunches.

Example, how I ''just knew'' some people hated me without telling me. Or that some people only want to take advantage of me. Even without concrete proof, but in the end I often experience much more regret during letting them in instead of turning away from them.
I know INFPs have this as well. I remember watching a documentary on Princess Diana (INFP) and the interviewer ask her if she would ever be queen and she made the comment that she could not ever see that happening. She also made a comment during the interview on how before her wedding to Prince Charles she had much doubt in pursuing the marriage, but she went along with it anyway because there was just so much publicity over it.

Its also a bit eerie that she commented how she knew she was not going to live to be old. I think in one comment she made she implied that she felt like she was not going to live beyond 10 years and this interview was like right around a time of separation so like 1993-ish?
Interesting but also a little eerie.

Anyway... as you said, it does dissipate that doubt and negativity. After my last breakup I wasn't quite sure where I was going in that department and what exactly I really wanted... about 9 months after the breakup I finally went out with this guy (ENTP, go figure) and everything seemed to click perfectly -- trouble was that he lives two states away, works 14 hour days, and doesn't really want to be settled in a relationship at the moment for those reasons. I was upset of course and distressed, but then when I really sat back and thought of settling down I myself did not like the idea just yet because my immediate reaction was "But I want to have the chance to get my career going without a commitment...". Then kind of in a weird vision I could see myself ending up with him or someone like him and I could see it working 100 times better than anything else I've had -- but that will happen later, just not now.

Needless to say after that experience and realization I am no longer negative about dating or doubt my judgments when turning someone down. My faith is 100% in that vision that things will work out as I caught a little glimpse of.

Crazy stuff us N's experience.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, I have had this a lot with my current job and with people in my life. It happens more now than before because I can shut off the mind and second guessing everything a little better. The mind still getsin the way of intuition although to a lesser degree.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have had this a lot with my current job and with people in my life. It happens more now than before because I can shut off the mind and second guessing everything a little better. The mind still getsin the way of intuition although to a lesser degree.
... mind AND emotions get in the way. Once you shut that off, its clear.

Reactions: Susanna

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
uhm. not completely.
but to an extent I know.

I think I leave my life unexplained and unpredictable for a reason.
... sounds Ne to me. :wink: :laughing:

·
Registered
298 Posts
i feel more like, if i want things to work out in a certain way... they do no matter what. when i don't care if they fall through, they do.

i feel like i don't just "know"... i'm completely in control. (if that makes sense.)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i feel more like, if i want things to work out in a certain way... they do no matter what. when i don't care if they fall through, they do.

i feel like i don't just "know"... i'm completely in control. (if that makes sense.)
Yeah I think I get what you mean. I can relate by saying how I experience it this way: I see that vision, so that end result of what will happen but along with that I see all the steps I need to make in order to get there.

The vision also makes me very well aware that I can't achieve X if I don't do J, K, and L first.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dang girl.

a little obsessed with your mission for me to be a Ne user.
Haha... sorry. Just the whole "I think I leave my life unexplained and unpredictable for a reason" line sounds like something an Ne type would say. :wink:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I can SOUND like everytype.

thats a Fe thing.

hold on... I will find something I found to be pretty funny about INFJ, but it also rung true for me.

Ni - The Force: We shall see all.

Fe: We shall be all to all.

Si: We shall not brush our hair or wash the dishes. Only when we feel like it.

Te: We shall challenge your dowdy conventional ways--taxes don't really need to be filed!

Se: We shall go forth and conquer. Maybe.

Ti: We shall know all. Or atleast, we try.

Ne: We think opportunities are "okay" but the all-knowing Ni rules supreme. :D

Fi: We think saying please and thankyou is "okay" but your manipulative backstabbing is "bullshit."

·
Registered
1,869 Posts

and this:

My entire life so far has basically been a cobbled-together do-it-yourself project. I only think I know what I'm doing, but time will tell.
For me, it's a mixture of the above two quotes: I strongly believe that if I have a reasonable goal or outcome in mind, I can make things work out in the end. The journey there is completely random and may seem like a mismatched DIY project, but I believe that the goal I have in mind will happen.

My INFJ ex was like this though - he sort of "just knew" that something would end up a certain way. The difference between me and him was that he "just knew" but he would keep playing on with life even though he sorta knew the ending of something. Whereas for me, if I knew something would end up a certain way, i felt like i had to shift gears and readjust and optimize my goal or something.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, I hate that about being INFJ. Knowing isn't all it's cracked up to be. Give me some blissful ignorance sometimes. Fat, dumb and happy is so much easier.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i freakin' wish. but no...
actually, i feel at a loss for direction for the most part, and it's quite frustrating. my J is highly perturbed.
Well, I've had moments where I felt "at loss" as well, but eventually my Ni vision came around. :wink:

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Do I ever know? I think the better way of putting this question is How many times do you just know? or Do you ever don't just know?

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
Sometimes, I just know and knowing this I will second guess myself, just so I don't know! This game I play can drive me nuts at times. Somehow, I go back to the "I just know" and everything is fine! :happy:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts