Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cannot recall being truly happy after 10 years old. You lose innocent as you grow old. I have had relationships with intelligent/handsome men, traveled around the world, got my Advanced degree, hobbies in music and a good job, but I still feel empty. I think the only thing that could help me become happy and peaceful is to have a faith in God. Prayer makes me calm. Nothing is permanent on this earth, everything is changing and this makes me feel uneasy.

·
Banned
133 Posts
mild amounts in childhood, then after high school for a bit when I was just letting life do it's thing wasn't to stressed about having a low wage job, now not at all. So I don't know if I can say I have ever fully known it.

·
PerC Waiter
2,398 Posts
Before a I went to Preschool, probably. Don't have many memories from that stage. Afterward, not really. It's always contentment, never true happiness.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Wow, this surprises me guys... I'm happy all the time :unsure:. I'm sorry you all haven't had that...

*edit* as to how long it lasts, on average, I notice it every couple of hours. I think i go through waves of strong moments of happy, and then depressed/stressed/tired for whatever reason, but then back to being happy a short while later.

This was different in high school. In high school I was pretty miserable. I'm going to art school in a new city, now, and I think that has played a huge role in my overall happiness.

Also, I would be lying to myself if I didn't acknowledge this-- my boyfriend who I just started dating recently makes me VERY happy, constantly. I don't think I anticipated when I was younger how much it would effect me for the better, having somebody fantastic like me back.

Change, excitement, mattering to people, having people matter to me, and doing something with my life that i find worthwhile-- these all seem to be requirements for my happiness.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
No, I'm depressed pretty much all the time and have been for many years. I was never really happy, at least not that I can remember.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would say never really. The earliest of my memories were of my parents disciplining me. Normally that wouldnt be so bad but it was coupled with the bullying in grade school . It ended with me not trusting my parents nor my anybody i knew. Well thinks been up and down since then but in general nope.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

It was a long time ago. We came from different worlds, but she and I shared one thing: what it meant to be an outsider. What it meant to be alone. She was beautiful, hair as rich as the darkest night, and eyes so blue, they betrayed a deepness that no one really knew. I was your typical, high school douche. While most people planned to learn about space, I simply took up space. They thought I was crazy, nasty, or on drugs. No one tried to understand that this is what happens to a man who has been deprived of love. I'd act mean and start fights, for it didn't matter, because I felt no one cared if I lived or died. She made it unto the scene, and she'd laugh at my jokes. I'd say something meaner, and she'd laugh more, more, and more. I wanted to yell and scream, "Can't you see what this is? This an alpha wolf as blood pumps out of chest unto the tundra that birthed his every regret. He fights forth, through dying breathe, his final howl as he sees the moon he once knew retreat. The skies weep whitness, blanketing forth all he was...Wiping off his existence. I'm an asshole. Im everything they said I was, so why is it that for longest time, I finally feel fear? Of you? Of what could come of us?" She had problems, and had no means to solve them. I was the placebo, that she used, to get through whatever she needed to get through. She was a rape victim, a victim of being touched too much. I was a victim of not being touched enough. I'd say anything to make her smile; a joke, a story, a silly face, for once she and I smiled, it created a small, secure space. It
was as if what was beyond us was gone. We were finally the winners. The champions, for we outlasted what sought to hunt us. Her anxiety. My loneliness. Her family. My incredible lack of trust. I don't form bonds much, and when I probably die alone, it will be me bleeding and cold, but at least I can go knowing what happiness was.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Sure, I'm a pretty child-like person though so maybe that's part of it. That being said, I've known sorrow just as much as any other human and have had my seriously bad moments. And there is a time for sorrow but overall, joy is a fruit that never really goes out of season. I start to lose it when I stop being thankful for what/who I have, focus on the negative and allow despair to consume me. It's always a choice.

Reactions: SunflowerSpright

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Happiness as immense as the universe. It's lasted during all this time since, and will continue to last. Once found, the true thing will never elude you nor leave you. It will be with you, always. It was truly always there to freely be discovered, I just hadn't been aware.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes and no. It's not a question of "am I happy right now?" as it is "am I content with life?". I haven't been content for quite a while, but I'm nearly there now. Childhood, up to about age 12, was when I was "happiest", when I had few worries. I've battled anxiety disorders for the longest time, so I don't remember what it's like to not have them. I'm happiest and most content when I'm not so stressed or anxious.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
For me, happiness is a state of recognition. A sudden awareness of someone or something that brings joy and great value to my life, and to whom I offer the same.

That awareness comes and goes. When it goes, it leaves quietly and without fanfare and without my noticing its departure. When it comes, it arrives in a burst of gratitude that leaves me feeling warm and renewed long after the fade.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Happiness for me is @confused girl28, and it's lasted for almost 15 months so far. :proud: I certainly wouldn't mind if it lasted for the remainder of my existence as well, but as she would be quick to tell you, "you never know", so I'll keep it open ended.

For now. :tongue:

·
Banned
133 Posts
Is its safe to say that the male INFJ have least known happiness?, due to the traits of INFJ being
less practical for a male in society. The female responses look more promising.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
The problem is I attach happiness too much to expectations or to circumstances I like or dislike, so it has been a turbulent ride. As I grow spiritually, I hope to generate the feeling more from within instead of without.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
For me, happiness is like the butterfly that passes by - always present, sometimes you see it, sometimes you're focusing on other things and 'happy' isn't part of the thought pattern.

Most days I am genuinely happy because I choose to be happy. I am working towards contentment, which for me is appreciating each opportunity as it arrives - be that sadness, closeness to another, self-fulfillment, joy, humility, pain. Every experience can leave us a better, more well-rounded person, if we but let the lesson rise to the surface as opposed to the emotion.

Life's a bitch, and then you die. But I'd like to suck the life out of that bitch while I can :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't think I anticipated when I was younger how much it would effect me for the better, having somebody fantastic like me back.
This.

I've always heard all the platitudes about how you have to be happy with yourself before you can be happy with someone else, but, to be honest, I think it's all a load of crap. Sure, if you have some profound disdain for yourself, it's doubtful that the presence of another person in your life is likely to significantly change that, but I don't think that it's necessarily unhealthy to be happiest when you have someone special in your life.

Anyway, I, for one, have always been at my happiest when I have some sort of significant relationship with another person--whether it be a romantic relationship, or simply a very intimate platonic one. As much as humanity, as a whole, frustrates me, I simply cannot imagine an existence without some sort of close relationship with another person. Regarding the original post, it's when I'm connecting on a deep level with another human that I feel truly happy. It's just nice to feel like you really know someone, inside and out, and to feel that they know you just as well. When I don't have that sort of a relationship in my life, I can, as many others have mentioned, feel very content, but I wouldn't describe it as being happy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have this happy little guy inside of me and he keeps the adult me happy. I take care of the inner child and protect him from negative influences, I have a garbage bin for these kinds of bad influences. I will get angry or sad but not for very long at all. If I feed from negativity then I will be giving them to my inner child. As the adult it is my duty to take care of my little happy guy inside of me. I have gone many years being happy with my lot.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes. I choose happiness. Life is too damned short to wail and woe about bullshit that doesn't matter in the end.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts