Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello esfjs. I don't ordinarily hang out in your forum and I understand if some of you don't want to be interrogated by a curious ISTP. however, if it would be of interest to any of you I am curious: have any of you mistyped as an INTP? Have you ever read the descriptions of an INTP and thought "Man that really sounds like me."

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi! I can't speak for all the ESFJs here (there aren't many) but I'm happy to be interrogated. I have never been typed as anything but an ESFJ, although I can see where some people might type me ESFP (especially after a few cocktails), ISFJ (lots of baking and crafts), or maybe even ISTJ when I'm at work with my shoulder to the wheel and nose to the grindstone.

Interesting question - sorry I can't help (unless telling you no is helpful).

·
Registered
135 Posts
hello esfjs. I don't ordinarily hang out in your forum and I understand if some of you don't want to be interrogated by a curious ISTP. however, if it would be of interest to any of you I am curious: have any of you mistyped as an INTP? Have you ever read the descriptions of an INTP and thought "Man that really sounds like me."
Since everyone on the internet seems to be an XNXP of some type, it's pretty easy to. Especially with buzzwords about them dealing with mental illness. But otherwise, no. I don't even know what dom-Ti looks like.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was working with an INTP who appeared to be MUCH more Fe than Ti, who is now typing as ESFJ. Apparently this person mistook their Si for Ti. lol. I wondered if this was common. This person sees themselves as dispassionate and logical, but to me this person looks like emotions personified. I get that the Si helps to create structure and stuff, but in no was does dom Fe resemble inferior Fe, so I was being pulled into this person's ... unreliable narrator ideas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was working with an INTP who appeared to be MUCH more Fe than Ti, who is now typing as ESFJ. Apparently this person mistook their Si for Ti. lol. I wondered if this was common. This person sees themselves as dispassionate and logical, but to me this person looks like emotions personified. I get that the Si helps to create structure and stuff, but in no was does dom Fe resemble inferior Fe, so I was being pulled into this person's ... unreliable narrator ideas.
I think I may be in the same situation as your friend. I just did a Myers-Briggs typing video chat, and apparently my Fe come through much more strongly in person than I realized. I had believed that my strong attraction towards abstract ideas and strongly valuing objective reasoning meant I was an NT, but I'm starting to question everything I thought I knew about Myers Briggs. Yet again. ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello there :) It's not a problem, absolutely! By my pov everyone is welcome here!
Well, let's say I'm having quite a difficult time with MBTI, and I am receiving completely opposite typings from different people D:
I'm starting to think I really am an ESFJ (and typed like this by different users several times on this forum!), but, some months ago, I joined 2 Socionics forums and I was typed, by different people, as INTP! I was quite shocked, since I never thought my Ti could surpass my Fe D:
Let's say when I made those video I was quite in a stessful moment, and,on video, my emotions didn't came out very much, but, people I know IRL (that don't know about MBTI too much) would never type me as INTP (rather they all said i was definitely some kind of EF!), and, also, I know several INTPs that are close friends of mine and I definitely can get them, but we have compeltely different behaviours, that was why I thought something was off with that typing :)
I've done another video yesterday and lots of people agreed I was ESFJ, so, maybe it was just a bad coincidence :)
Maybe it's my Enneagram 9w1 that makes my emotional expressions more "suffocated"

I don't know if it helped, hope it did! Have a nice day!

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello there :) It's not a problem, absolutely! By my pov everyone is welcome here!
Well, let's say I'm having quite a difficult time with MBTI, and I am receiving completely opposite typings from different people D:
I'm starting to think I really am an ESFJ (and typed like this by different users several times on this forum!), but, some months ago, I joined 2 Socionics forums and I was typed, by different people, as INTP! I was quite shocked, since I never thought my Ti could surpass my Fe D:
Let's say when I made those video I was quite in a stessful moment, and,on video, my emotions didn't came out very much, but, people I know IRL (that don't know about MBTI too much) would never type me as INTP (rather they all said i was definitely some kind of EF!), and, also, I know several INTPs that are close friends of mine and I definitely can get them, but we have compeltely different behaviours, that was why I thought something was off with that typing :)
I've done another video yesterday and lots of people agreed I was ESFJ, so, maybe it was just a bad coincidence :)
Maybe it's my Enneagram 9w1 that makes my emotional expressions more "suffocated"

I don't know if it helped, hope it did! Have a nice day!
Have you read Lenore Thomson? When a person uses Si, it has a tendency to mute the outward expression, so I am thinking while yes, you lead with Fe, aux Si might be creeping in with Poker Face tendencies. Whereas I use Se, so even without effusive facial warmth (due to inferior Fe) you will see a lot of energy in my face, somehow some way, it doesn't have the cool detachment one sees in an ISTJ for example. Just an idea, by no means a fact.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have you read Lenore Thomson? When a person uses Si, it has a tendency to mute the outward expression, so I am thinking while yes, you lead with Fe, aux Si might be creeping in with Poker Face tendencies. Whereas I use Se, so even without effusive facial warmth (due to inferior Fe) you will see a lot of energy in my face, somehow some way, it doesn't have the cool detachment one sees in an ISTJ for example. Just an idea, by no means a fact.
I never read that and didn't know, thanks a lot for sharing!!! I'm generally a lot expressive IRL,on video, for several reasons, this didn't come out! But I definitely understand what you mean, I , in fact, think I can clearly see it now that I think about it!
I never met an ISTP, but I'd love to know some of them, but I trust what you said :)
Thanks for this interesting information!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not personally, but it's very possible. Many ESFJs and sensors in general don't think that they can enjoy using the Internet beyond social media and therefore think that they're xNxx. Some people are horrible at judging their level of cognitive extroversion, so they type as I as well. And the Ne-Si axis can seem a bit scattered in any position, so there's the P. And the F/T part can be a toss-up. Strictly speaking, Fe is a rational function, so I guess I could see how someone could think INTP.

Overall, people like to try on different types and adapt their behavior for a while when studying typology. If an ESFJ sees a couple of parallels between them and an INTP description, they'll try and act like that type so it becomes self-fulfilling. This happens with anybody though.

In the end, I think that it's possible, but ESFJs are so much more likely to mistype as ENFP. Like, it's crazy how many ENFPs on PerC and Reddit are ESFJ.

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Strictly speaking, Fe is a rational function, so I guess I could see how someone could think INTP.

Overall, people like to try on different types and adapt their behavior for a while when studying typology. If an ESFJ sees a couple of parallels between them and an INTP description, they'll try and act like that type so it becomes self-fulfilling. This happens with anybody though.
Everything you said was interesting, but these two interested me the most.
I never really tried to fit myself into a stereotype. Even when I mistyped as an INFJ, I just thought I was a rare asshole INFJ. It wasn't until much later I realized I am a different kind of asshole altogether, an ISTP one. LOL.

My ESFJ friend seriously convinced herself she was an INTP. I am a Ti dom. I swim in Ti and I was like... ummmm. Please stop confusing me, your mind is literally alien territory.

Thank you for your perspective. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a friend's son that I typed in his late teens with the Myers Briggs test, he came out ESFJ like his mom. Years later now, and he is convinced he is INTP. It seems clear that he isn't. He works hard at Ti but is just isn't there. His F is very strong - I grew up with and am surrounded by T's, I know their scene, and he isn't it. It seems like it is hard being an F man in a T man's world.

·
Registered
ISFJ 6w7 sp/so
27,953 Posts
Only when I get in the grip of my weaker functions because of stress, which is caused by things that I can't do anything about.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Yes, I think it’s still possible I’m INTP and not ESFJ(or maybe ISFJ or ENTP) but I’m probably ESFJ. I usually test as INXP and people irl usually think I’m INTX. I probably behave more like a stereotypical INTP in a lot of ways irl, and I can identify with the descriptions of both INXPs. I think it’s mostly due to anxiety and depression though.

I’m also mostly a hermit and pretty isolated/avoidant plus I have poorly developed social skills due to a lack of practice. This makes it pretty difficult for me to identify my Fe or relate to any ESFJ descriptions. :confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
yES. But oh man am I faaar from that :)) I think I mistyped as an INTP because I really take pride in being knowledgeable. I am also socially awkward for an esfj. I think i have a really developed ne and ti. But i am far too emotional and expressive for an intp. it was fun while it lasted but welp that WASN'T ME.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts