Personality Cafe banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only remember hitting one of my.. friends in primary school.
He (and some others) used to run away every school break and even when I talked to him about how much it hurt, how very mean it felt and that he should stop, he didn't listen at all and would just continue to laugh and and did not take it seriously
So out of anger I took a quick but strong slap against his face and he would start crying... I felt bad afterwards, but in that moment I just felt like it was necessary :/

But that's an old story with not much of a meaning anymore. :laughing:
I wonder if there are any stories from you other INFP's!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do recall getting up in someone's face when they have utterly disrespected me and my colleagues, all the while maintaining a very calm demeanor and even voice. Does this count? I was so livid that my hands were trembling and I had to ball them into tight fists to prevent them from grabbing the nearest object and chucking it in their face.

And there have been other instances where I was prepared to let my fists do the talking if my words failed to deliver the message ( but I wasn't raging like I did in the above scenario I just mentioned.)

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
My mom and I used to have physical fights when I was a teenager, but that was par for the course in my household. I know there was at least one time when I physically attacked her without provocation, which I still feel bad about because I was 12 and should have known better. But most of the other times she started it.

I used to be physically abusive to my fiance...like whenever we have arguments and I want to be left alone, he just keeps bugging me and trying to talk to me, and eventually I snap. I guess I kind of thought it didn't count since he is much stronger than me and could kill me with his bare hands if he wanted to. But it really upset him so I stopped. There are still times where he pisses me off so much I want to hit him, so we have a safe word that means "please leave me alone for 15 minutes so I can calm down."

I also punched a cop four times when I was 18, but he was grabbing me and roughing me up for no reason, so I was trying to get him off me more than anything else.

In none of these cases did I seriously hurt anyone, because I am a total weakling and I really don't even know how to throw a punch. It was more symbolic than anything else.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Yes I have, far more and far worse than I really want to go into, its not something I'm proud of. I've discussed some of this in other threads, and the worst instances are difficult for me to talk about, its not something I can take back so the guilt I feel over it never really goes away, its just something I've had to learn to live with. I don't want my life to be defined by violence, theres far too much of it shared far too casually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No I have never seriously hurt someone. I just feel to bad about it and I can't bring myself to do it even if the other person possibly deserves it...

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have, far more and far worse than I really want to go into, its not something I'm proud of. I've discussed some of this in other threads, and the worst instances are difficult for me to talk about, its not something I can take back so the guilt I feel over it never really goes away, its just something I've had to learn to live with. I don't want my life to be defined by violence, theres far too much of it shared far too casually.
You don't have to tell anything of it here of course, it sounds bad reading this already.. :/

·
Registered
727 Posts
I've had a lot of fights with other kids in primary school :( but I don't remember starting them.

I once hit a grown woman because her 1 year old daughter threw a toy at my cousin.I waited to see the lady's reaction but after realsiing she wasn't planning to do anything I hit her with the same toy. :laughing: I think I was 8 at the time

·
Registered
123 Posts
I grew up in a relatively small farming town. Boys were expected to stand up for themselves. So I did. I even remember my grandma coaching me how to fight. I've maybe been in a dozen fist fights. I don't think I ever seriously injured someone. I never started a fight either.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
For some reason I feel that my brother can really bring out the worst in me. When we were younger, if he got mad enough, he'd hit me and I'd push him back -______-" I have to say, that feeling of hitting someone who hits you..it's not satisfying. It might help you feel like less of a "loser" but then knowing you even cared about that feels incredibly stupid.

·
Banned
132 Posts
yep but i've never started anything that would cause or result in physical violence. usually when someone is about to do something incredible wrong or tries to attack me then i feel somewhat justified (like anyone i suppose) and i'll be happy to do what is necessary in pursuit of the best conceivable outcome. in other words i'd be more than happy kicking their tail if things had to go that way. if someone attacks me and there's no way to talk it out, unless they're much bigger than me i won't runaway i'll try and "teach them a lesson" otherwise the perpetrator may develop more related negative behaviors and/or philosophies and other people will still at risk as a result of their ignorance.

generally if there is insufficient reason to fight or physically attack someone then i won't do it even if i was seriously assaulted by someone but the assaulter was immediately sorry (although that may be because i'm actually dead). however, i'll be sure that they feel the thorn of what i value to be justice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Eh... I'm relatively passive when it comes to aggression. There was a time when my ex disrespected me and gave me full permission to punch him in the face. That was interesting to say the least...

But yeahh, very much a pacifist here. As well as the fact that I've never really been in a situation where I've had to fight.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Several times, sadly. My family has a lot of boisterous personalities and physical affection and, of course, fights are really common--I've never been comfortable with either, so they get on my nerves constantly.

Usually my physical fights start a lot with my brother, an ENFJ, who is the stereotype of warm ENFJ with every person but myself. We have always been really different from the other, not exactly when it comes to personality, more like tastes (music, movies, etc) and we end up clashing because we're too stubborn/prideful to back down.

Also, several times at school. Not like hitting someone, but I used to restrain people when I was younger so that they listened to my point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was picked on a lot when I was a kid and I usually tried to just walk away and "turn the other cheek" most of the time. But every now and then someone would keep pushing and pushing, so I'd threaten them to back off. That usually just made things worse. I never started a physical altercation with anybody, but of the ones I have been, I made damn sure I finished it.

I despise violence and I avoid it for as long as I can. But when there are no alternatives and it's a choice between a loved one or myself getting hurt, I will react as violently as possible and as necessarily to make the threat go away.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I once hit a grown woman because her 1 year old daughter threw a toy at my cousin.I waited to see the lady's reaction but after realsiing she wasn't planning to do anything I hit her with the same toy. :laughing:
And in two sentences, you sum up exactly what is wrong with modern parenting!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts