Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard to explain in a title but what I'm curious about is, have you ever experienced a shift in mind paradigms ?

(I'm assuming you have of course , especially being infj, we grow by unearthing ourselves in a way, digging our way out where other types grow by diggin in their heads more). But those breaking molds aren't what I'm talking about.

Think bigger. Have you ever broken by choice, molds / previous mind paradigms because they no longer suit you/are practical, realistic maybe but no longer wanted enough to wait through uncertainty gambling.

Think of that idea that everyone has their limit. have you ever reached a point in your life where your limits were reached, maybe even breached and you shifted your mind to adjust / adapt in such a way that's beneficial, suits you?

I realize this is insanely vague. But I figure I'm taking to INFJ's so you shouldn't have that much trouble, plus, it's a large enough plate to accommodate everyone's meal as it stands in this place of time for them.

But that's the point now kinda isn't it. It's always changing ... Adapting and shifting to suit our wants and needs, regardless of our feelings. Maybe that's the difference between us and INFP's. While we are for sure idealists that strive for harmony. We never hesitate to do what our Ni dictates is in the best interest for us, or our loved ones, despite how we might feel.

So all that said. Have you ever significantly shifted (more so than the constant small trembles compared to the earthquakes). It's like we go through life sensitive to the shakes of the earth. But how many times have you consciously chose an earth quake to happen ?... (In your head. Talking metaphorically here :p)

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I'd say most INXJs the whole life is a process; a process of finding, discovering, contemplating, testing, and modifying. Be it identity, love, relationships, career, sickness and health, finance, child rearing....our dominant and tertiary functions would not stop receiving and filtering information; quantify, analyze, and correspond with the existing.

The result could be several shifts in perspectives and directions thru out the life time.

To me, being an INXJ is to live a life of fluidity and being flexible to changes. We change within and change with the outside world around us.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd say most INXJs the whole life is a process; a process of finding, discovering, contemplating, testing, and modifying. Be it identify, love, relationships, career, sickness and health, finance, child rearing....our dominant and tertiary functions would not stop receiving and filtering information, quantify, analyze, and correspond with the existing.

The result could be several shifts in perspectives and directions thru out the life time.

To me, being an INXJ is to live a life of fluidity and being flexible to changes. We change within and change with the outside world around us.
Yes. For me life is fluid ... But every now and then, my most inside 'me' causes a typhoon. It's as if I'm god and decide to flood the earth, and start over ... (Killing all ideas, thoughts, beliefs). And Noah's arc is all the ideas or beliefs I deem worthy.

I've had significant fucked up transitions in life (not of my doing. but I react accordingly) and I change so significantly like that stated above ... Like when you clip the bits and pieces off of a plant for it to grow healthier. People, beliefs, ideas. Anything and everything is subject for dismissal. I just out of nowhere, emerge from incessant worry and say to thoughts like people, "you are dismissed".

It leaves me feeling cold a little. Fiery. Animalistic. Like I've just picked the weak off the herd and I'm sucking the flesh (experience) off my teeth ... It's nearly like I'm me but more me only more, raw. Am I crazy ? o_O

this has happened a few points in life. It's super intense. Know, it doesn't help me relate connect with others so not so sure it's a good thing. Then again, I've a hard time relating anyways from such a unique lot in life thus far so I suppose it makes no difference.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Yes. For me life is fluid ... But every now and then, my most inside 'me' causes a typhoon. It's as if I'm god and decide to flood the earth, and start over ... (Killing all ideas, thoughts, beliefs). And Noah's arc is all the ideas or beliefs I deem worthy.

I've had significant fucked up transitions in life (not of my doing. but I react accordingly) and I change so significantly like that stated above ... Like when you clip the bits and pieces off of a plant for it to grow healthier. People, beliefs, ideas. Anything and everything is subject for dismissal. I just out of nowhere, emerge from incessant worry and say to thoughts like people, "you are dismissed".

It leaves me feeling cold a little. Fiery. Animalistic. Like I've just picked the weak off the herd and I'm sucking the flesh (experience) off my teeth ... It's nearly like I'm me but more me only more, raw. Am I crazy ? o_O

this has happened a few points in life. It's super intense. Know, it doesn't help me relate connect with others so not so sure it's a good thing. Then again, I've a hard time relating anyways from such a unique lot in life thus far so I suppose it makes no difference.
I was only painting a more wholesome picture of an INXJ's life journey. ;-)

The reality is, most of us have gone thru difficulties. Sometimes said difficulty can be a tidal wave that change us quite suddenly. Sometimes it's the catalyst (last straw) to propel a change we've been desiring (overhaul life style, leaving a relationship, moving out of parents' home etc.).

What I would caution is to not make big decisions at the heat of the moment. Some decisions can have long term consequences that may not be positive. Some mindset/value shifts may be going down a negative/destructive path (Hitler/Bin Laden much?). A good decision always needs some objectiveness and big picture mind. INXJs have this ability plenty, just not at the heat of the moment (tunnel vision or caught in a loop).

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
There were a couple of times (if not a few more) throughout my life where I felt I had to do a full quantum transition in my way of thinking and approaching everything out of a need for survival. It was more a survival of the soul or psyche. Without it I felt it would have been emotional suicide.

During these times were when I made my biggest decisions and did things that not only surprised the people who knew me, but I surprised myself.

These are the times that I felt the most alive and I opened another part of myself like another addition to myself which wouldn't have existed if I wasn't willing to change and learn on a completely different level. It could seem like I was breaking at the time and may be I was, but I was breaking into another kaleidoscope of possibilities.

It is amazing what we can become if we try.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I would caution is to not make big decisions at the heat of the moment. Some decisions can have long term consequences that may not be positive. Some mindset/value shifts may be going down a negative/destructive path (Hitler/Bin Laden much?). A good decision always needs some objectiveness and big picture mind. INXJs have this ability plenty, just not at the heat of the moment (tunnel vision or caught in a loop).
I will remember this.

I copy/pasted it into my iPhone notes :tongue:

though the loop feels are more obsessive. What this is (and I've experienced it before) is more of a calm. Like after all the guns are done firing and all that's left is smoke on the battle field. And me.

However, it is a tunnel vision moment similar to the loop. One is a calm while the other frenetic.

Have you experienced this? (Or anyone else). It's like the Ni overwhelms , or something. If it isn't an Ni loop. What is it?

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There were a couple of times (if not a few more) throughout my life where I felt I had to do a full quantum transition in my way of thinking and approaching everything out of a need for survival. It was more a survival of the soul or psyche. Without it I felt it would have been emotional suicide.

During these times were when I made my biggest decisions and did things that not only surprised the people who knew me, but I surprised myself.

These are the times that I felt the most alive and I opened another part of myself like another addition to myself which wouldn't have existed if I wasn't willing to change and learn on a completely different level. It could seem like I was breaking at the time and may be I was, but I was breaking into another kaleidoscope of possibilities.

It is amazing what we can become if we try.
yes, very much like this. It's like the survival of the soul. The most deepest parts of me. Like a snake that sheds it's skin. Only. I've done it so many times (and big shedding a mind you) that I often wonder where all those skeletons of whole I was before reside. It's like I'm forever enveloping myself ... It's so weird. it's not a Ni/Ti loop. So what is it ?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I will remember this.

I copy/pasted it into my iPhone notes :tongue:

though the loop feels are more obsessive. What this is (and I've experienced it before) is more of a calm. Like after all the guns are done firing and all that's left is smoke on the battle field. And me.

However, it is a tunnel vision moment similar to the loop. One is a calm while the other frenetic.

Have you experienced this? (Or anyone else). It's like the Ni overwhelms , or something. If it isn't an Ni loop. What is it?

:)

A loop that makes you feel frenetic or a noose getting tightened around your neck is destructive. It can cause a fight or flight mindset in the beholder. Panic attack or paranoid episodes may ensure in serious cases.

A calm like sky being cleared after a thunder storm would mean you've out of the loop. It doesn't mean you've found answers, just ready to be objective and ready to see the big picture. The decision or direction you make after the calm will be much sounder.

Reactions: petite libellule

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)

A loop that makes you feel frenetic or a noose getting tightened around your neck is destructive. It can cause a fight or flight mindset in the beholder. Panic attack or paranoid episodes may ensure in serious cases.

A calm like sky being cleared after a thunder storm would mean you've out of the loop. It doesn't mean you've found answers, just ready to be objective and ready to see the big picture. The decision or direction you make after the calm will be much sounder.
Sounder but. No where near the same choices as who I was before the storm to begin with ... Hence the title. Shifted limits.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Sounder but. No where near the same choices as who I was before the storm to begin with ... Hence the title. Shifted limits.
Same choice or a different choice, don't matter as long as it's a good choice the way you see fit.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
yes, very much like this. It's like the survival of the soul. The most deepest parts of me. Like a snake that sheds it's skin. Only. I've done it so many times (and big shedding a mind you) that I often wonder where all those skeletons of whole I was before reside. It's like I'm forever enveloping myself ... It's so weird. it's not a Ni/Ti loop. So what is it ?
At one point I felt like I was losing touch with reality and had feelings of derealization and somewhat depersonalization. It caused me to panic when in the worst throws of it. Thoughts of where I lost myself and how was going to get back to reality were real worries for me.

Not sure if you are going through something like this, but I did feel desperate and reading on depersonalization didn't help me feel better which is one of the few times that the knowledge wasn't helpful.

What I remember doing to help myself (not sure if it will help you) is that I needed to walk outside and reconnect to reality, to feel more grounded and really focus hard on what it meant to be real. As strange as it may sound I had to almost tell myself what I was looking at in order for it to have some kind of significance to it and to brand it into my brain that it was indeed real.

Not only was I rewriting reality for me to recognize it (again) but I had to rewrite who I was and how I was meant to be a part of reality and what it means to be a part of it all.

Whatever I could have been or what I've left behind doesn't really bother me as much because I felt that as I changed and became something new I was finding something that was more alive than I ever was before. It was like I was bursting out of myself and I couldn't look back at my old shell anymore. I'm not sure if you will miss what you were, but I actually don't. I relish the new me and the idea that I can be renewed and become whatever I want to be.

To feel whole again I meditated and talked to God. This is what is up to each person how to interpret this. But, I felt I couldn't neglect my soul or I would be left hollow and I concentrated on my spiritual needs and held tight to what I felt was my security in what God knew was best for me and trusted that. With that trust I was able to feel at ease and slowly come back together again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes!

I have significantly changed my life on several occasions. I would describe this as my Ni gathering tidbits of signals/ information until my brain registers the message " you need to change your life BIG TIME".

It was like waking up from my unconsciously lived life to make major positive changes. By listening to this clear internal voice I have accomplished the following:

-moved thousands of miles away from my toxic family and started a new life

- taken control of my health and lost a significant amount of weight and ran a marathon

-changed my major in college to a career that suited me better (4.0 GPA)

I'm not trying to brag ( us INFJs are actually very modest) but I'd like to share to give others hope for positive change and optimistic possibilities. Let's nots get stuck in a negative loop but use our imaginations to change our lives for the better!!!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
At least a few times, often revolving around the pursuit of meaning and differentiation from others that refused to acknowledge self development needs and why I must try to carve out more than a job path (previously being seen as a low achiever then suddenly very intelligent but misguided, assumed to nothing of the real world).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, twice. Once - breaking away from religious paradigms of upbringing and all the moral codes that went with it. Another - leaving a relationship. and all the assumptions of marriage/settling down/having children, to be open to other possible way so fliving my life.

These moments catch my friends/family unaware, and they are shocked by what seems a quick decision. What they don't understand is that my Ni has been pondering for a long time internally, and they may only have heard small snippets of this internal dialogue. It feels freeing, like shedding a skin, stepping into a new reality...the same person, yet changed somehow.

I wonder, though, whether many other types would be comfortable with this side of me in a long term relationship. They would have to be very comfortable with change and fluidity, and not threatened by it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Yes, many times.

Usually a feeling of terror accompanied those shifts.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes, definitely so. From an overweight, shy, addicted beta male in my youth (16 to 20) to a man with purpose. Working out, beat all the addictions, be courageous and many other positive things. I am now 22 and a lot more content with my life.

Acquiring loads of self-change knowledge really helped me in my pursuit.
Change happens when staying the same is more painful than changing.

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, many times.

Usually a feeling of terror accompanied those shifts.
funny you should say that. For me, it's a period of panic prior to the positive shift.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
In pursuit of truth, I have done this at least once, perhaps twice.

In my late teens, and early twenties, I went from being an atheist to a theist. While this seemed like a drastic change at the time, it was nothing compared to revelation of how very little I knew.

Being a theist, caused me to adopt theist beliefs... by the grace of God, one such belief was that, "through experience, you can judge a spiritual teaching to be valid or invalid."

So while I erred into false religion, I had a bit of truth. What I had not realized was that "experience can lead you astray, especially in the short term"... to put it another way, a belief sets into motion a series of events which are revealed over time. At the beginning, a certain belief may seem very positive... you may receive some kind of spiritual confirmation of it, yet as time goes on you may find yourself lacking despite the "truth" you uncovered.

Eventually, a belief bears its actual fruit, not the false indicators that our flesh grasps onto initially. When this happened to me, I realized the truth of the matter, that everything I believed was trash, it was all garbage, except for the foundational revelation that it was all trash.

Overnight, I threw out everything I believed and had spent years cultivating in my thinking. It took me another year to get much of the thinking out of my head, so while I changed courses immediately, habitual thoughts do not disappear overnight.

There were times, where by lack of knowledge, I was convinced that if I accepted the truth it would drive me mad. Yet at those times, I still chose the truth even if the consequences were negative.

I hold truth in higher regard than my own well being, or anything else.

This is precisely why I ended up a Christian.

2 Thess 2:10 - and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.

Conversely, you can say if you are a person who loves the truth more than yourself, you will be saved. Perhaps you don't even know what the truth is, but if your heart is right before God in this manner, I don't believe God will permit you to remain blind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts