Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take one for one of my classes my freshman year of college. It said I was an ENTP, but most of the "unofficial" tests I have taken have also said the same.

Have you taken it before? Did you get the same or different result than you expected?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've taken it SEVERAL times :) I'm also a certified MBTI Practitioner. With the official MBTI, there are profiles and reports.

Form M is Step 1 and shows your preferences and letters but Form Q Step 2 is where it gets really interesting! Step includes the facets within each preference. So while your letter type may not change, your facets' clarity might. For example, in my early twenties, I was in the midzone for Gregarious, which is a facet for E. Now, 12 years later, I have a clear, preference facet for Gregarious. This is considered "out-of-pocket" since I'm still an I.

I use this Step 2 for career, professional and personal coaching engagements. Here's a link to the different reports that One Leadership Group offers: oneleadershipgroup[dot]com/buy-your-mbti-feedback-package/. The rates are reasonable - CPP doesn't offer this report online. There are a few other companies but their websites seem antiquated. Would be interesting to know if your facets are in-pocket or -out-of pocket preferences :)

Attachments

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
I believe that there are two official tests - the European and the American if I am not mistaken. Correct me if I am wrong. I have taken the American test once. I was an ENFP but I never agreed with the definitions of thinking and feeling so what does it really say about me?

The more I study MBTI and Jung, the more flawed it became to me. Jung never really understood what thinking and feeling is. I regard Jung highly though, he was a very intelligible and spiritual man but never reached the highest state of consciousness and therefore his method is flawed. Thought is inherently limited and therefore MBTI is limited so why should I confine myself to a limitation?

I am supposed to be an ENFP 1w9 but I don't think I can be narrowed down to a type anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, there are over 12 MBTI official test, they are different versions of the preferences (i.e., for conflict, for organization, for college, for change management, etc). And depending on which norm groups used (i.e., different countries) - there may be variations in report/feedback/coaching session on how to use your MBTI data.

Hmmm, I don't see a preference for Thinking or Feeling as limiting. I see it as a natural preference on how to make decisions. I'm a F, I really care about people and how decisions affect people, this is my natural way of making decision but in my work life, I have to consider the T way of thinking. It gets me organized, and helps me drive sales and make $. So I don't think about tangling Jung so much into this assessment. Rather, I think about Briggs and Myers intentions for this psychometric instrument - to help people understand their natural preferences, recognize their learned behaviors, and be able to communicate their preferences to minimize the impact on others. I know I'm coming toward this from a professional and personal development perspective ;) I think absolutely agree with you that labeling oneself is a no-no, so we just use it as a guide for yourself, for others - have you taken the Form Q / Step II with the facets?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've taken the American version 3 times before, when I was being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. My psychologist asked me to as a favor, because she was curious to see how it might change as I became stable and medicated. The changes in my type actually fit with me being an ENTP as well as the whole 'in the grip/shadow' types. My first test I came back as INTJ, which fits considering what a hot mess I was at the time (scattered, obsessive, adversarial and neurotic, as I imagine an unhealthy INTJ). The second time was about 5 months after I had been diagnosed and had taken a few attempts at finding medication that worked. I typed as an ISFJ on that test (stretching myself too thin, inexpressive about my feelings- I was still afraid of them, and got pretty enraged by criticism).

The final time was about two years ago. I tested as an ENTP then, but having never tested officially or myself as an extraverted type, let alone a P, I rejected it XD Turns out it was actually a perfect fit for me all along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haephestia, did you take the Step 2 Form Q Interpretive with the facets? It so much more detailed, I wish they didn't offer the general Form M so that everyone can see their in and out of pocket preferences :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Haephestia, did you take the Step 2 Form Q Interpretive with the facets? It so much more detailed, I wish they didn't offer the general Form M so that everyone can see their in and out of pocket preferences :)
I know that I didn't for the most recent test, it was just the standard version. I think the very first one may have been, but I couldn't say... at the time I wasn't too concerned with my type, it was just another annoying test I had to do in order to get diagnosed and get better! I've been tempted to take a full-form test again in the last little while, just to see if I'm still changing; after I'd been stable on medication for a while, it really bothered me not knowing what my 'real' self was like. It still does sometimes, but I'm finding types that fit more consistently now, so I don't worry about it too much.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,593 Posts
High school.

INTP. Mistype. l wasn't expecting anything because l didn't know WTF MBTI was.

My friend-who-then-became boyfriend got INTJ and our teacher told us how special and important we were :happy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you MBTI certified person goes through the report with you, they should be asking you if you disagree and if you do, they are ethically responsible for running a second report for you with your self-identified type (you pay for the report again). Good, glad you're not so driven by the report, I see it as just a guide to better communications with people :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts