Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever watched a TV show and wondered if the actors talking to each other feel stupid, spitting back out their lines to each other, when the tv show was being filmed?

It's like, if I'm watching a sitcom on TV, and it's not fully grasping my attention, my mind starts to wander (nothing new there, lol). So last night, that thought came to my mind. I wonder if the actors feel stupid or anything. Just imagine you're hanging out with your coworkers at your job, and you have to pretend to be somebody else, and say an exact set of words at specific times, and have a series of conversations, with multiple feeling.

I don't think that I could do it - seems too weird.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Have you ever watched a TV show and wondered if the actors talking to each other feel stupid, spitting back out their lines to each other, when the tv show was being filmed?

It's like, if I'm watching a sitcom on TV, and it's not fully grasping my attention, my mind starts to wander (nothing new there, lol). So last night, that thought came to my mind. I wonder if the actors feel stupid or anything. Just imagine you're hanging out with your coworkers at your job, and you have to pretend to be somebody else, and say an exact set of words at specific times, and have a series of conversations, with multiple feeling.

I often feel that way when I see garbage on TV. What really weirds me out is that there are people out there who are actively enjoying this.

I suppose this is also what defines a good actor; when you completely forget that they're standing in front of a camera/audience.

Reactions: The Phantom

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've never tried it, but I think acting would be kind of fun. to me, interacting with people often feels like acting, anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah, but I do that while watching good TV shows too, although really good shows grab your attention from less interesting stuff like that. :p But an example for a poor show, Dr. Phil... When I watch it, I think half the time what are Dr. Phil's real motives. When he "just tries to make them feel happy", I'm sure he sometimes thinks "omg thank goodness I get so well payed for this... These people are just stupid, and the watchers too" at the same time. :D But even more than thinking about the TV performers' thoughts, I wonder how much they've planned what to say, when to say, what to laugh at, which jokes they should tell... Like, how the shows are written. And the emotions of talk show people... How planned are these too. :D I guess at least 3/4 of them are totally fake. Just getting money for crying etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done that in a school play and didn't feel absurd.

Then again, I was distracted by the fact that the narrator happened to be a guy in a dress.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Yeah I think that. They must be quite uncomfortable to be someone completely different after being normal off camera to the same person. I guess you just have to be into being pretentious.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
When I was younger, I used to take bong hits after work and watch TV televangelists on the religious stations. Their over the top absurdity and the effect on the audience I always found fascinating when I was high and tired. I wondered, exactly how do these people get so much money this way?

My roommate would always get mad and try and change the channel. I would stand up and wave my arms with unknown purpose and start saying, 'That is not the way of JEEZZUSS' and continue with my best impromptu zealot act. He would get so pissed that I thought he was gonna attack. Then I would calmly sit down, point at the TV, and say 'you have so much anger, you really need this.' I was the roommate from hell.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I was younger, I used to take bong hits after work and watch TV televangelists on the religious stations. Their over the top absurdity and the effect on the audience I always found fascinating when I was high and tired. I wondered, exactly how do these people get so much money this way?

My roommate would always get mad and try and change the channel. I would stand up and wave my arms with unknown purpose and start saying, 'That is not the way of JEEZZUSS' and continue with my best impromptu zealot act. He would get so pissed that I thought he was gonna attack. Then I would calmly sit down, point at the TV, and say 'you have so much anger, you really need this.' I was the roommate from hell.
LOL LOL LOL

My friend and I had this rather amusing habit of going back to his house after a night of drinking, and there's always the evangelists on tv at 2am, and it would be pretty funny immitating him, lol.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If the acting is really hammy (and not deliberately so, in such things like Naked Gun, for instance, think more of the old epics of Cookson and Archer novels the USA used to come out with) I think "Don't you feel like an utter putz quoting second rate lines?"

The best films are indeed where you completely forget you are watching a group of actors that have learned from a script. One such film was on the other night - Good Will Hunting. A lot of talk in that film, but mostly feels completely believable and unscripted (probably helps that a couple of the actors actually wrote it)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

That IS what my job is like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts