Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's cut to the chase

Have you ever work in a big group/ small group with an ISTP?
what's your impression?
Memorable or forgettable?
Good teamwork or awful teamwork?

Feel free to write
No one will judge

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I work as part of a health care team with an ISTP doctor. I wonder if that qualifies for what you want since when he is working he is the boss, basically. He does a great job supporting me and other expertise. My favorite part about the ENFP ISTP dynamic is that ISTPs are not really judgmental but will help a person based on their current reality rather than waste time blaming or punishing people which they don't usually see as their job and this is very much shared with ENFPs and seems to create our only instant bond. When everyone else is doing their judgmental thing, he and I know we are instantly on the same page working to combat prejudice that would obstruct good patient care. ISTPs don't usually teach others much, usually you all don't see this as part of your role in life. This ISTP teaches a bit more than my ISTP dad does-- I like it. My experience with the ISTPs in my life is very positive as I have the benefit of a fair, gentle, loving and eclectic ISTP father and this particular doctor is our top brain, he's completely on top of his game and I like watching how he absorbs new information. I actually haven't worked with jerky ISTPs, but I also locate and adapt to Ti very quickly because of having such a good relationship with my father.

Oh. So that's my view, personally. What does the group think? He doesn't like to lead and doesn't step forward to leadership positions even when he is the obvious choice and everyone else is new, which I think we all see as unfortunate---however, I do understand his reluctance. He doesn't have a poor bedside manner, but patients find him not too memorable and definitely have no idea that he is by far the best most knowledgeable and most astute doctor on the floor. He doesn't charm or cajole, so they have no idea. Everyone on the employee side enjoys working with him, although he is aloof. He isn't the kind of ISTP who is going to talk much about his personal life or ask us about ours. ISTPs are usually fair in my estimation and I think everyone senses that. It's too bad that patients don't realize he's a secret weapon, but it wouldn't bother him. He saves more lives than anyone here, I'd say, and loves his work and a job well done. He also plays in a jazz band sometimes and enjoys his life the way he wants to. Hopefully there is nothing in what I wrote that is too exposing. No names or anything. I feel a bit weird to talk about it, ah well. I hope this helps give some feedback about what others might think of ISTPs in a group. I think most people are respectful when someone is very private. I know not every ISTP is aloof, though. Is there any particular aspect of ISTPs in groups that you are curious about?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Well, my only known experience with an ISTP was with a bad one... my father.

He didn't do "team" at all. Oh, haha, there is no "I" in team! I am funnies!

He had people working for him at various times who all expressed a pretty permanent state of discontent. There was no room for ideas that were not his ideas, and his ideas were not always reasonable seeming to most people.
When he upset anyone, instead of apologizing or fixing the actual issue, he would offer them a material item, usually of far less worth that what it was replacing... a repeating pattern that offended a lot of people, and lost him a few business partners.
I overheard someone, when I was a child, call him "a snake in the grass"... and even at the time it resonated, because that's how he worked - slinking along undercover pretending to be demure, while very intensely looking for opportunities (people) to exploit.

The moral of this story is, don't be like he was! Of course there are good ISTP's out there.

- Try to always keep in mind that not everyone is going to agree with your proprietary logic, and that doesn't mean that they're stupid - just that they're looking at things from a different angle.

- Be careful of the urge to "reshuffle the deck" when dealing with others. All such operations should be conducted with a yellow flashing alert behind your eyes... first, ask questions and listen to what individuals actually want out of a project.
Trying to rearrange the outer world to fit your logical system is often a chancy enterprise - it upsets people, which means they stop cooperating, and it's unlikely you'll be able to find the emotional reset button through inferior Fe attempts at placating them with what your Ti-Se thinks should be valuable to them (but often isn't).

- It's fair to not listen to what someone wants if they don't speak up about it... but if someone is speaking about what they want, try to listen and take it seriously.

- Stretch as much as you can to be open to other's ideas. There comes a point of not being allowed to fully participate where most everyone will eventually throw their hands up in the air and go home. I imagine this kills more ISTP interpersonal connections than any other factor.
Picture it like you've invited your buddy over to play a video game. If he never gets a chance to use the controller, and is just supposed to sit there watching you play, he's gonna get sick of it, right?
Ideas are like that too.

·
Registered
15,259 Posts
My partner of over 14 years is an istp - he runs a side business so my observation pertains more on what I've witnessed more so than working alongside with
° he doesn't like controlling or telling others what to do- however if somebody asked for help he can show them what to do quite swiftly yet thoroughly, he is very good with words and his patience relaxes others. He have always been good at explaining things - breaking information into simplicity and explaining it in a clear manner
° he jokes around a lot and pole fun at others however if their work isn't done or if a machinery of his doesn't get proper treatment then he would fired the person then and there . I notice he doesn't have much mercy when it comes to employees making a mistake- he does have a hard time telling them though - hence I get to do most of the dirty work which annoys me bc I don't know much of anything about his business or work.

° unsure if it counts as working together in a small group - however for one of my best friends wedding- the maid of honor ( my friends younger sister) was an istp - she seems very last minute with her planning of the bachelorette party - which didn't really surprise me but it was a bit irritating (as in she didn't book the house on airbnb until the day before we flew out of town . The planning and guideline of the trip was heavily relied on information that I provided - but she was very accommodating and poking fun at herself for being very laizze fair - I've always found her easy to converse with and nearly impossible to offend . I'm quite certain with her real work ( shes an event coordinator for Facebook) she thrives harder but it's always amusing to see Sp users in their last minute planning

° ooh do board game poker or escape room count as group activities?
My istp ( is more of an ambivert than introvert ) tends to bc excitable and talkative when activities are involved- I notice he becomes more lively - poke fun at other people more and his energy level can get pretty damn high - very fast pace - in the moment and silly even- he can lighten up the room with taunts of dares or sly humor- hes usually calm and quiet however I notice when having fun or engaged in something he can be extremely energetic and excitable-

° good team work imho - since the type tends to value fairness

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I work as part of a health care team with an ISTP doctor. I wonder if that qualifies for what you want since when he is working he is the boss, basically. He does a great job supporting me and other expertise. My favorite part about the ENFP ISTP dynamic is that ISTPs are not really judgmental but will help a person based on their current reality rather than waste time blaming or punishing people which they don't usually see as their job and this is very much shared with ENFPs and seems to create our only instant bond. When everyone else is doing their judgmental thing, he and I know we are instantly on the same page working to combat prejudice that would obstruct good patient care. ISTPs don't usually teach others much, usually you all don't see this as part of your role in life. This ISTP teaches a bit more than my ISTP dad does-- I like it. My experience with the ISTPs in my life is very positive as I have the benefit of a fair, gentle, loving and eclectic ISTP father and this particular doctor is our top brain, he's completely on top of his game and I like watching how he absorbs new information. I actually haven't worked with jerky ISTPs, but I also locate and adapt to Ti very quickly because of having such a good relationship with my father.

Oh. So that's my view, personally. What does the group think? He doesn't like to lead and doesn't step forward to leadership positions even when he is the obvious choice and everyone else is new, which I think we all see as unfortunate---however, I do understand his reluctance. He doesn't have a poor bedside manner, but patients find him not too memorable and definitely have no idea that he is by far the best most knowledgeable and most astute doctor on the floor. He doesn't charm or cajole, so they have no idea. Everyone on the employee side enjoys working with him, although he is aloof. He isn't the kind of ISTP who is going to talk much about his personal life or ask us about ours. ISTPs are usually fair in my estimation and I think everyone senses that. It's too bad that patients don't realize he's a secret weapon, but it wouldn't bother him. He saves more lives than anyone here, I'd say, and loves his work and a job well done. He also plays in a jazz band sometimes and enjoys his life the way he wants to. Hopefully there is nothing in what I wrote that is too exposing. No names or anything. I feel a bit weird to talk about it, ah well. I hope this helps give some feedback about what others might think of ISTPs in a group. I think most people are respectful when someone is very private. I know not every ISTP is aloof, though. Is there any particular aspect of ISTPs in groups that you are curious about?
Well, I didn't expect such a long written post
But nevertheless thank you

There's no particular aspect or anything
more like how's ISTP behave when working on a team
I've found a thread said that teamwork is nightmare (from ISTP)
Make me wonder what's the others feel.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my only known experience with an ISTP was with a bad one... my father.

He didn't do "team" at all. Oh, haha, there is no "I" in team! I am funnies!

He had people working for him at various times who all expressed a pretty permanent state of discontent. There was no room for ideas that were not his ideas, and his ideas were not always reasonable seeming to most people.
When he upset anyone, instead of apologizing or fixing the actual issue, he would offer them a material item, usually of far less worth that what it was replacing... a repeating pattern that offended a lot of people, and lost him a few business partners.
I overheard someone, when I was a child, call him "a snake in the grass"... and even at the time it resonated, because that's how he worked - slinking along undercover pretending to be demure, while very intensely looking for opportunities (people) to exploit.

The moral of this story is, don't be like he was! Of course there are good ISTP's out there.

- Try to always keep in mind that not everyone is going to agree with your proprietary logic, and that doesn't mean that they're stupid - just that they're looking at things from a different angle.

- Be careful of the urge to "reshuffle the deck" when dealing with others. All such operations should be conducted with a yellow flashing alert behind your eyes... first, ask questions and listen to what individuals actually want out of a project.
Trying to rearrange the outer world to fit your logical system is often a chancy enterprise - it upsets people, which means they stop cooperating, and it's unlikely you'll be able to find the emotional reset button through inferior Fe attempts at placating them with what your Ti-Se thinks should be valuable to them (but often isn't).

- It's fair to not listen to what someone wants if they don't speak up about it... but if someone is speaking about what they want, try to listen and take it seriously.

- Stretch as much as you can to be open to other's ideas. There comes a point of not being allowed to fully participate where most everyone will eventually throw their hands up in the air and go home. I imagine this kills more ISTP interpersonal connections than any other factor.
Picture it like you've invited your buddy over to play a video game. If he never gets a chance to use the controller, and is just supposed to sit there watching you play, he's gonna get sick of it, right?
Ideas are like that too.
A father who also ISTP are not a good combination I guess
But thanks for the input

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My partner of over 14 years is an istp - he runs a side business so my observation pertains more on what I've witnessed more so than working alongside with
° he doesn't like controlling or telling others what to do- however if somebody asked for help he can show them what to do quite swiftly yet thoroughly, he is very good with words and his patience relaxes others. He have always been good at explaining things - breaking information into simplicity and explaining it in a clear manner
° he jokes around a lot and pole fun at others however if their work isn't done or if a machinery of his doesn't get proper treatment then he would fired the person then and there . I notice he doesn't have much mercy when it comes to employees making a mistake- he does have a hard time telling them though - hence I get to do most of the dirty work which annoys me bc I don't know much of anything about his business or work.

° unsure if it counts as working together in a small group - however for one of my best friends wedding- the maid of honor ( my friends younger sister) was an istp - she seems very last minute with her planning of the bachelorette party - which didn't really surprise me but it was a bit irritating (as in she didn't book the house on airbnb until the day before we flew out of town . The planning and guideline of the trip was heavily relied on information that I provided - but she was very accommodating and poking fun at herself for being very laizze fair - I've always found her easy to converse with and nearly impossible to offend . I'm quite certain with her real work ( shes an event coordinator for Facebook) she thrives harder but it's always amusing to see Sp users in their last minute planning

° ooh do board game poker or escape room count as group activities?
My istp ( is more of an ambivert than introvert ) tends to bc excitable and talkative when activities are involved- I notice he becomes more lively - poke fun at other people more and his energy level can get pretty damn high - very fast pace - in the moment and silly even- he can lighten up the room with taunts of dares or sly humor- hes usually calm and quiet however I notice when having fun or engaged in something he can be extremely energetic and excitable-

° good team work imho - since the type tends to value fairness

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback
Take me awhile to read it

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
743 Posts
Haven't had the best experience working in a group with ISTPs. In high school I was grouped with an sophomore ISTP (probably amongst the few I could confidently identify). Problem was, he and another INTP didn't want to do any work so freshman me and the other freshman /genius ENFP did all the work. I think we got an B+, which dismayed my partner.

Me and an older ISTP were powerwashing the sides of my house. I'm very grateful for his help, but as far as teamwork goes, it didn't really feel like it. I had some suggestions on how we could be safer whilst working, but he had none of it. The job got done I guess.

I haven't the best experiences with your type, but my next interactions might be different.

But

I also suspect ISTPs would be the hardest type to work in a group with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts