Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have graduated from college 4 month ago, I'm an economics major and all of the jobs offers are working as a customer service representative in a Bank (which I don't like,but I want to work in the banking sector). So basically my job will be working with people face to face all day long.

I'm generally OK with people, but I think that eventually my job will be full of hardship. I can switch myself into ENTP for sometime but my extroversion is 'PRECISE" or in other words I become extroverted for a short while to get the job done, then I go back to my bubble. In addition I have a very hard time understanding people.

For the more experienced people out there is customer service a dead end job? or if I proved myself worthy, they will give me a job that matches my preference (more technical and individualistic)I think as an INTP customer service is a great job since I will be forced to engage with people and develop our social skills (very valuable for life). BUT I don't want to be stuck in customer service or any related job for life, I want to work in the dealing room or in credit

YOUR ADVICE WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED

·
Registered
466 Posts
If you can do this job for a year, you will have experience and probably be able to look back and think, "Wow, I can do anything for a year." etc. However, if you think you'll be miserable, don't do it.

At my job I occasional have to take customer service calls, and I've gotten very used to it. I do think it has helped me grow in an area that is not very strong for me. However, I can't imagine being at a front desk all day at a busy bank and having to greet people and answer stupid questions all day, or constantly make small talk face to face with strangers. (At least when someone says something stupid on the phone I can roll my eyes. :rolleyes:)

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Change careers.

I worked as a sales rep for Sprint PCS (before nextel merge) and Radio Shack assistant for a bit about 11-12 years ago.

I had to play sales rep, tech rep, support rep, anything and everything in between except for cashier, since I wasn't officially a Radio Shack employee.

I, too, had to put on an ENTP front and feed technical details and specs of devices and updates to consumers. It was fun for the most part because of all the new gadgets and unique technologies being promoted at the time. It sucked because of having to meet quota and whatnot.

I now work in a call center for a fashion retail company. I've been here seven years starting as an in-store customer service rep, to ecommerce customer service rep, to ecommerce support technician, to call center analyst. In the beginning, as an in-store CSR, I had to check special order requests against purchase orders and proceed to let stores know whether they can or cannot get a special order item without having to interact with the customer.

Then as an ecommerce CSR, I had the opportunity to kick start our company's pilot ecommerce program / project answering online CS issues.

As a ecommerce support technician, I was handling things that happened on the back-end, systems wise. I dealt with the vendors, mapping out the workflow, identifying bottlenecks and areas of performance concerns.

Now as a Call Center analyst, I am working the backend of in-store CSR and ecommerce CSR, systems-wise.

Your knowledge and understanding of the systems will follow you as you grow with the company. It is your responsibility to keep up with the system changes and anticipated migrations. Although you may be comfortable with understanding and utilizing current software and applications, that may all change when IT decides to perform an overhaul of whatever backbone you're running on. Such change will require a learning curve and training to people / personnel who may not likely adapt quickly or as quickly to change.

As I've been here for seven years, my pay / salary as increased but not by 2x fold, but still a significant jump. I am fortunate because where my company stands, I had positions created specifically for me and I left it with an additional two people taking over those responsibilities as I hopped on to the next opportunity. I'm not sure how your relationship with your bank is, but if it's anything like mine where there are opportunities created, it won't feel much like a dead end job.

However, I know people who had started around the same time as I have but still stuck as an in-store CSR with pay raises +2% ~ +4% per year, and with a starting pay-grade / salary back then, such an increase is basically cents instead of dollars by the hour.

I recommend doing an assessment at least twice a year and see if there's any forward progress / advancement you foresee in your future with the bank. If there isn't, you must ask yourself why and how to get to the next level. If there is not an answer, it more than likely means you're trapped in a dead-end path.

From then on, you might want to figure out if you're comfortable with the pay rate and/or community, and you are comfortable settling down with such a foundation, more power to you.

But if you're bored or feel stagnant, better plan sooner than later to move on. You're not getting any younger. And most companies ignore seniority as it no longer holds any merit. Most big companies do not care much for longevity and/or loyalty. It's rather naive to think there's that card to play as well. Not to say it's non-existent, but it's very very very seldom and rare... especially within the bank industry.

Hope this offers some insight.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I used to be a cashier at the local supermarket, which is sort of close to the specified 'career'.

Do not tell jokes, the customers will complain and you will get fired for being rude.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can do this job for a year, you will have experience and probably be able to look back and think, "Wow, I can do anything for a year." etc. However, if you think you'll be miserable, don't do it.

At my job I occasional have to take customer service calls, and I've gotten very used to it. I do think it has helped me grow in an area that is not very strong for me. However, I can't imagine being at a front desk all day at a busy bank and having to greet people and answer stupid questions all day, or constantly make small talk face to face with strangers. (At least when someone says something stupid on the phone I can roll my eyes. :rolleyes:)

My problem is not whether I can do it or not (I think I can do it for a while), but the main problem is the fear of being miserable. While talking on the phone is definitely much easier, but I cannot imagine myself meeting strangers for 6-8 hours daily discussing their problems and above all that I have to tolerate their rudeness, stupidity and ignorance. I'm also afraid of being stuck with it for life. For me CSR is a means to an end, I think it is the only access to the banking sector.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I work in a grocery store as a cashier so hopefully my advice counts.

I completely understand the whole chameleon thing, I'm just lucky because the customers are so regular that you see most of them basically every day. They get to know you and how you are so it's less awkward. I think dealing with people all day definitely helps you in other areas, for one I'm more patient with customers and I help them along if they're confused about something, whereas before I would have to try so hard not to roll my eyes and give a sarcastic remark. I'm actually told quite frequently how patient I am and how sweet I am. Which makes me feel awkward because I'm just doing my job... Which makes me think about how shitty some of my coworkers are and why aren't I getting more hours? Okay sorry I went off on a tangent.

Anyways, like someone else said, try to stick it out for a year, you'll probably learn stuff from this job. Unless you seriously hate it then try finding another job.

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I worked front desk at a motel in the White Mountains one year. It was a little run down but nice enough, two two-story units of twenty rooms each that stayed empty most of the year the exception being foliage season. The lower ten rooms of the riverside unit had flooded one year and no amount of cleaning could eliminate the faint mildew odor of the rooms...as a result these were always rented only after all the other rooms were full and always (by me anyway) with the caveat that rooms did have this odor from the flooding.

Foliage comes around, the rooms get rented but this one guest found it unacceptable and demanded another room.

"I'm sorry, there are no other rooms available"

He then demanded a discount.

"I'm sorry, I can't discount a room during foliage"

He then demanded a refund he was going elsewhere.

"I'm going to explain something to you, you really should calm down and listen. There are no vacant motel rooms within 300 miles of here. The second you walk out that door someone else is going to walk in and I'll give them this room that you find unacceptable and they won't believe their luck. If you come back the room will be gone, trust me."

He didn't, said he'd take his chances and off he went with his refund. 15 minutes later the room was rented out odor and all to an ecstatic couple from out of state. An hour later and my irate customer was back demanding a room.

"What did I tell you before you left?"

He couldn't believe the room was rented out that fast. I showed him the registration slip and finished off the conversation with "I hope your Taurus is comfortable." I love customer service.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I'm generally OK with people, but I think that eventually my job will be full of hardship. I can switch myself into ENTP for sometime but my extroversion is 'PRECISE" or in other words I become extroverted for a short while to get the job done, then I go back to my bubble. In addition I have a very hard time understanding people.
I know what you mean by "switching" to ENTP. That "E" you speak of takes a lot of conscious effort and energy. You will be drained. It is like having to consciously think about breathing all the time to stay alive. Eventually you'll tire out and die. Extreme, but gets my point across. I work as a bagger at a military base grocery store (commissary) and each time I take an order out, there is that inevitable small talk with a stranger. Although brief, the constant withdrawal from my "observation mode" to complete spatial awareness becomes very exhausting. On top of that, it is the same thing over and over. Very repetitive and not intellectually stimulating. I've worked there for 3 years so far,but only stay because I leave everyday with a lot of tips. I will quit once I've finished college. (at least 3 more years to go)

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,419 Posts
Hi, I have graduated from college 4 month ago, I'm an economics major and all of the jobs offers are working as a customer service representative in a Bank (which I don't like,but I want to work in the banking sector). So basically my job will be working with people face to face all day long.

For the more experienced people out there is customer service a dead end job? or if I proved myself worthy, they will give me a job that matches my preference (more technical and individualistic)I think as an INTP customer service is a great job since I will be forced to engage with people and develop our social skills (very valuable for life). BUT I don't want to be stuck in customer service or any related job for life, I want to work in the dealing room or in credit

YOUR ADVICE WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED
Yah bra.
If you do customer service for a bit it may shed light onto why you aren't so great at dealing with people.

I approach jobs as experiences, in other words I quit once I don't see anymore growth.
That constitutes a dead end job for me.

So my advice is analyze if you think there is something valuable to learn, learn it and look for a new position or move on to a new job.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have worked in a bank for four years. What I can say for me it was a dead end job. It got boring pretty fast. Meeting people was exciting at first, but I drained me completely. After while I just couldn't care less about that job. I don't really think that customer service is for INTP.

My advice is : take the job, if You get bored jump to another job. You gain experience and that is priceless and You CV will look nice. Don't get any hopes or ideas just squeeze that lemon and after while throw it away.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
My problem is not whether I can do it or not (I think I can do it for a while), but the main problem is the fear of being miserable. While talking on the phone is definitely much easier, but I cannot imagine myself meeting strangers for 6-8 hours daily discussing their problems and above all that I have to tolerate their rudeness, stupidity and ignorance. I'm also afraid of being stuck with it for life. For me CSR is a means to an end, I think it is the only access to the banking sector.
I worked as a cashier, hostess, and a waitress when I was younger, and it did make me miserable. It made me feel meaningless and used by the businesses I worked for. I needed a few days off every week to emotionally recuperate.

·
King of Seduction
ENTJ
7,419 Posts
I have worked in a bank for four years. What I can say for me it was a dead end job. It got boring pretty fast. Meeting people was exciting at first, but I drained me completely. After while I just couldn't care less about that job. I don't really think that customer service is for INTP.

My advice is : take the job, if You get bored jump to another job. You gain experience and that is priceless and You CV will look nice. Don't get any hopes or ideas just squeeze that lemon and after while throw it away.
For some odd reason, I find gals that work at banks hot.
There is one at my bank I dig... I saw her out once and I had a hard time remembering where I recognized her.
Still regret not figuring it out sooner, could have hit on her.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your responses, I refused the offer. First it is a dead end job like many here said, and also I think it is very hard for an INTP to work in customer service.

Fortunately, I found another job offer that is similar to customer service but it is more focused toward companies than people.Which means that most interactions will be through phone calls(BIG DIFFERENCE, than face to face conversations) and a few annual visits.

I have no option right now but to accept this job, and despite its extrovert nature, I think it will be doable for an INTP.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts