Personality Cafe banner

INTPs: Which Paranormal Experiences have you had, or believe exists (>80%)

• psychic/spiritual healing

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • ESP

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • haunted houses

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • demonic possession

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • ghosts/spirits of the dead

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • telepathy

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • extraterrestrials visited Earth in the past

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • clairvoyance and prophecy

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • communication with the dead

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • astrology

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • witches / voodoo

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • reincarnation

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • channeling

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • God or other deities

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have no belief, or limited belief in any of these phenomenon

Votes: 36 54.5%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
\(^_^)/ I jump right in when this topic arises!

I've never had any paranormal experiences, but I do enjoy finding out more about them. I'm a complete nerd on paranormal stuff because it's just so interesting to me. With all of the accounts I've learned about, it's hard for me to write them all off as nothing. I'm a very open-minded individual and try not to dismiss things, so I give everything a chance.

I find that it's interesting to think that there is more to life and death than we understand and know of. I love these types of mysteries.

... I've been saying a lot lately that can get my INTP card revoked.

*note: I've dabbled in a lot of things*

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
\(^_^)/ I jump right in when this topic arises!

I've never had any paranormal experiences, but I do enjoy finding out more about them. I'm a complete nerd on paranormal stuff because it's just so interesting to me. With all of the accounts I've learned about, it's hard for me to write them all off as nothing.

I find that it's interesting to think that there is more to life and death than we understand and know of. I love these types of mysteries.

... I've been saying a lot lately that can get my INTP card revoked.

*note: I've dabbled in a lot of things*
Wonder what. Don't think this is an INTP revoking thing, many historic INTPs had a belief or curiosity in the mysterious and unexplainable. The confines of scientific explanation can occasionally get stale. Current understandings in science are just a foundation for new understandings. Human understanding is a slow process, perhaps thankfully.

As a side note, when creating polls, the question must get posted first (before the poll) - unless you posted this in a few milliseconds!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Wonder what. Don't think this is an INTP revoking thing, many historic INTPs had a belief or curiosity in the mysterious and unexplainable. The confines of scientific explanation can occasionally get stale. Current understandings in science are just a foundation for new understandings. Human understanding is a slow process, perhaps thankfully.

As a side note, when creating polls, the question must get posted first (before the poll) - unless you posted this in a few milliseconds!
I've dabbled with whatever you can come up with in relation to what you put in the poll. I got interesting results, but restrained myself from going any further because things started to get freaky.

And like I said, I enjoy these topics, so my enthusiasm combined with lightning fast typing resulted in my post beating the poll. :p

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I would be believing in most of these things if I hadn't watched any of those paranormal documentary shows on Discovery channel.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I have had what I suppose you can call a paranormal experience when I was sleeping in my aunt's house in the living room and then I see this shadow looking like a very tall and thin man moving closer to the veranda door, touch the handle and then disappear. That was one of the freakiest things I've experienced in my entire life.

I've also done the Swedish version of the oujia board although reading up about it afterwards of course reveals that it was probably all fake because we may have moved the glass unconsciously.

But yes, I'm very open to the paranormal although I'd be careful to label it like that. Rather, I prefer calling it physical phenomena we have a poor understanding of. If it was truly paranormal then it cannot be a part of this physical world and that goes against my idea of holism.

Just a philosophical aside.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I unashamedly entertain the idea that the following exists/could exist:

- ESP
- haunted houses
- ghosts/spirits
- telepathy
- extraterrestrials visited Earth in the past
- clairvoyance and prophecy
- communication with the dead
- reincarnation

I have always enjoyed reading about these topics in books. The world would be a far more interesting place...

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have and interest in the paranormal and have done several paranormal investigations in alleged haunted locations. After watching such shows as Ghost Hunters I wanted to see if this stuff is real and the only way to find out is to go to the so called active locations and spend of lot of time. I've have some eye opening experiences and collected EVPs that seem to be direct intelligent responses.

At this point I have experienced enough to believe but this is something you must approach as a skeptic and with an open mind. However if you seek and are patient you will find.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I've been amusing a theory for years now that some people are more receptive than others. I wonder what or why that is. Generally speaking, I seem to unfortunately not be a very receptive person.

I am not sure if I believe in ghosts and spirits as a concept though. I've studied too much philosophy to come at the conclusion that there exist paranormal or supernatural entities just outside our scope of perception that would somehow relate to this world.

You run into a number of problems such as the origin of such entities. I am however willing to buy what we could call psychic energy that if strong enough might linger far after the deceased is gone, though. But as a monist I have to defy the existence of ghosts in such a sense since I also don't believe in the concept of the soul.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I believe that there is no such thing as paranormal. We name paranormal everything that we can't understand, or everything that we believe is there but we can't see it.
Remember the ancient times, people didn't have the science to explain thunders. Thunders were paranormal and were seen as an act of God. Zeus in particular. So, whatever we may be considering to be paranormal is either something science has not explained yet, or doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I have an interest in some paranormal topics. I have a half belief/half skeptic approach if that makes any sense (lots of questioning) I really need to experience to fully believe.

As for what I've experienced: Dreams that proved too accurate to be coincidence. Weird synchronicities (hard to prove one way or another). That's about it, no ghosts, UFO etc.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have had 2 paranormal experiences as far as I can remember.
One was when I was stoned trying to sleep and the spirit of Jesus came to me with a loving embrace.
The other one was when I was watching a documentary about paranormal activity and suddenly a pot in the window fell down to the floor(It really creeped me the fuck out)

I do not believe there is anything paranormal involved in this tho, the reason i whould believe otherwise is because I whould follow my human need to believe something, and believe what I want to believe even tho it is illogical.

For experience number one I don't think Jesus came and embraced me. I think it was the result of me being stoned and therfore I managed to create that powerful experience, but this experience was in the end never true outside my own imagination.

For experience number "two" I don't think the pot fell down because some higher spirit made it fall down. I think it was because the plant was growing, so in a way the plant "pushed" itself over the edge. And the fact that this happened while I was watching that documentary was just that it reached the point of growing where it whould push itself off the edge just when I was watching that documentary.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ever since the age of about 10 I have had what I can only describe as 'premonitions'. I would be thinking about something quite specific then it would occur a few moments later. It used to drive me mad as I couldn't find any rational explanation for it. I spent years going down many different avenues to try and find an answer but, to this day, I haven't found one. They don't occur as much nowadays as they did when I was younger but now several times a month I experience what Jung would describe as 'synchronicity'.
So even though I have had a great number of 'paranormal' experiences, I don't have any reason to believe that they are otherworldly in nature. I am still very skeptical when it comes to anything paranormal.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
No, but reading books about people like Aleister Crowley and people who seem "schizotypal" like that are interesting. Robert Anton Wilson had interesting things to say about Crowley's practices actually working for physiological reasons. A lot of ancient practices that are considered mystical in fact work according to very physical processes. People had thousands of years to perfect "mind-altering" techniques. I'm willing to listen.

The power of suggestion can be very strong, as well, which science has demonstrated. Eastern medicine seems more at peace with using the "placebo effect." Most cultures have used holistic medicine along with plant-derived medicines, many of which we still use.

Don't believe in ghosts or spirits or ESP.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts