Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like you idealize things so much that you miss the target/reality/what needs to be done altogether?

examples:
I always idealize what a perfect body should be like, and the time of the workout and how it should feel. Never to do the actual workouts or sticking to it long term.
Or,
Currently idealizing coding in general..daydreaming of absolutely tearing chit up in this department when I have a coding assignment due and haven't written a single line.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I try to move the time/space continuum around so that I can do both.

Without my idealism, I am at a loss creatively, without meeting deadlines, I am at a loss materially (cash).

Maybe they are called deadlines because they kill off the idealism in favour of lining up with the others for our paycheques. Everyone's gotta eat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
What is pure productivity without thinking? Isn't that what a machine does?

I'm stuck at the either / or here or the continuum between human on one end and machine on the other because I really think idealistic thoughts are the stuff human life is made of. The people that pay us though, they want the product.

I agree with @The Shark.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
Mind gives rise to matter and thought gives rise to action. So even the most down-to-earth, unimaginative person is dominated by their inner world of thoughts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If there is no dream there is no tommorow, while it is true we all got to eat, dreams are food of the mind so I wouldn't go without them in the mix, balance is probably the best answer to your question, there is a time and place for everything :happy:

Reactions: Emerald Legend

·
Registered
536 Posts
I wouldn't say my dreaming kills my productivity. In fact, dreaming is what makes me so productive. It's what gives me the passion and structure to accomplish my desires.

My problem is when I'm not excited enough about something to daydream about it. If It doesn't captivate my imagination, It feels like drudgery.

Maintenance. Gross.

Seriously? I have to eat THREE TIMES EACH DAY for the REST OF MY LIFE?!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Daydreaming is one of the best ways to disconnect from a hectic period.

It's true that there are 800 better things that we could be doing (rather than drift off), but for our types of imaginations, getting lost in thought still seems like the best choice.

I like to think of it as painting a landscape without picking up a paintbrush.

I've literally spent several hours placing furniture I don't have into a house I don't have, in a country that I've never seen (and it was still better than being bitten by sand flies at the beach that day). :laughing:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes haha. Most of times.
Try to make a good plan and stick to it. Planing is essential for me if I wanna accomplish anything really. Without planing I often get confused and get to daydreaming again. It's better to know what is ahead of you. Good luck with workouts :) I do them too for like a month.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Hell YES! If I could have used 1/2 the time I spent daydreaming I'd be the top producer in my work place. Instead, I am forever playing catch up, doing what I have already put on the time sheet 2 weeks later. :-(

I swear, starting 4/6 I am going to be on top of my work assignment. NO MORE DAYDREAMING AT WORK!

The thing is, day dreaming is what I've been doing always, thinking about the possible scenarios, from impossible (being born in Britain's royal household with a title like Lady so-and-so or Princess so-and-so) to somewhat possible (when/where/how I'd meet a guy that'd rock my world) to very possible (my next dream vacation).

Everyday life seems so dull in comparison. The saving grace is that I have a good security radar, never going too far removed from reality. I've got to have a secure/stable job, savings enough for 5 years (in case I can't land another job), and plenty of retirement savings for when I am too old/feeble to work. I don't know what function it is to make me such a security conscious person. If not, I don't know what'd stop me from abandoning the reality altogether for my dream world, walking around mumbling to myself.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes!! I daydream wayyyyy too often! I have trouble connecting with people because of this, and getting things done is difficult. My head is constantly full of what-ifs and just dreaming up stories in my head. The only time I can actually be productive is if I'm writing, because at least my dreams aren't just going to waste in my head. I'm really worried about this honestly. :/ I fear never getting out of my head and what if my mind just swallows me whole and I'm gone from the real world? :$ I always have a dreamy glaze over my eyes. Luckily I have an understanding (for the most part) INTJ husband who knows me very well. He tries to make me more productive, but sometimes his efforts are offensive to me XD I guess I can't explain that very well. He tries to keep me out of my head, but I'm addicted to being inside of it. The only time I'm really out of it is if someone needs my help and counsel. Anyone else have this kind of trouble?

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
Daydreaming was a huge time-killer for me until relatively recently. I'm still prone to it now, but not nearly as much as I used to be.

My idealism is something that keeps me out of the real world. Or, rather, it wants me out of it. Just the other day I was having a melancholic bout of "Why isn't the world the way that my ideals want it to be?". Granted, it was productive (I came to some good conclusions that gave me some peace), but it was also very emotionally draining.

I think an important lesson for us to learn is to keep on pursuing our ideals in some measure, but to accept that they often can't be realized -- at least not during our lifetime -- and to keep ourselves from being heartbroken over them.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
As useful and pleasant as daydreaming is for me, and for most who engage in it, I know someone who suffers from maladaptive daydreaming. If it becomes a serious problem, an addiction that you substitute for actual achievement, it might be time to consider that possibility. Here is a link to an online support group for people whose lives have been negatively affected by their obsessive daydreaming.

Maladaptive Daydreamers - Wild Minds Network

Reactions: butterflyxcollector

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
It's the seed of my productivity.
It just takes time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes!! I daydream wayyyyy too often! I have trouble connecting with people because of this, and getting things done is difficult. My head is constantly full of what-ifs and just dreaming up stories in my head. The only time I can actually be productive is if I'm writing, because at least my dreams aren't just going to waste in my head. I'm really worried about this honestly. :/ I fear never getting out of my head and what if my mind just swallows me whole and I'm gone from the real world? :$ I always have a dreamy glaze over my eyes. Luckily I have an understanding (for the most part) INTJ husband who knows me very well. He tries to make me more productive, but sometimes his efforts are offensive to me XD I guess I can't explain that very well. He tries to keep me out of my head, but I'm addicted to being inside of it. The only time I'm really out of it is if someone needs my help and counsel. Anyone else have this kind of trouble?
I also have trouble with that. I'm usually in my head and I won't listen to a whole conversation without losing myself at any point. My reply will be like: ''What?'' (and I hate that people have to repeat me things again and again). Only if someone asks me for help I'll listen or maybe if it's something very interesting (or someone very interesting).

But daydreaming is also my inspiration when it comes to creativity.

·
MOTM Oct 2014
1,917 Posts
The answer and solution to this problem is simple...

You simply need to evolve beyond such ancient and antiquated concepts as "productivity". It's an illusion and a farce... you struggle all your life to "produce" and be "productive"... for what? To contribute to the overpopulation problem? Push the world further towards collapse? It's not like you can take any of what you "produce" with you reach the end of your rope anyway...
Just a cheerful thought :tongue:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts