Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they say everyone has a twin in this world. I for one think that there are copies of all of us out there, throughout history, etc., people who look like us and act like us (consequently, I love finding people who look like other people, because I find they usually have the same personality type). So, have you found anyone in real life/history/fiction who you think is another you?
I think Mary from The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova is very similar to me, in the way she is described and the way she acts (some things are off, but then I think some things are "off" about the novel - maybe not exactly well-written in parts, though parts I love).

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've never found my "twin" per se but definitely folks who think and act similarly. Many times I've had people say I look like other people they know so there I agree.

Reactions: candiemerald

·
Registered
319 Posts
"copy, another you"

I think it's easy for people that aren't twins to use these types of words and phrases. But to twins, they're painful. There's this stigma that twins are the same. Copies of each other. Interchangeable. Something deprived of individuality outside of the unit itself.

Twins are not the same. They're people just like everyone else with different personalities and dreams, and if the population decides to view them as such, then they have different friends as well, and people that can tell them how much they are worth. As a single person.

Maybe it's just that perceived individuality is worth so much more when it has to be fought for.

I don't mean to be rude. I understand that the purpose of your thread wasn't to imply that twins are the same, but I think it's important to make this distinction. Everyone wants to feel special. Everyone wants to feel different. Imagine how lonely you would feel if everyone you came in contact with stripped you of your individuality.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I doubt I'll ever "commit" to just one, as you say, twin. Self perception is fleeting and capricious. I alternate between being Stannis and Renly Baratheon, between being Holden Caulfield and Jay Gatsby, between whole troops of characters with sparse and subtle common traits. Perhaps I'll create my twin, perhaps I'll transcribe myself. More likely, I'll piece a motley twin together from many instances of characters.

I will say that I relate strongly to the following:

Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby); I understand the allure of dreams, I understand hope as a distraction from a dull reality. I also related a lot to the character from Winter Dreams, but I don't recall his name. These mens' dreams consumed them, and in reaching for their dream, or in seeing through their facade, they were damned. In a not-so-dramatic way, I am a dreamer.

Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice); I felt I was similar to her in the kind of passive perception of ridiculousness in others. She watches the folly of her sisters and mother, or sometimes her father, but does not condemn them nor hate them. She is far more sociable and amicable in company, though; in that respect, I may look more like Mr. Darcy.

Daenerys Tarygaryen (A Song of Ice and Fire series); I know that perhaps this'll come across as arrogant; I see loads of people claiming they're like her because they see themselves as powerful or beautiful or whatever, but hear me out! Many of her reactions are similar to mine: bafflement at certain customs or traditions, seeing not the "it's what's done" but rather based on my own perception. Unfortunately, my actions thereafter are less similar, I often distance myself from what I perceive as wrong but with a laissez-faire attitude. In defence of myself, I've not come across.. similar injustices in my life thus far, nor am I royalty.

Unfortunately, I probably come across as similar to Sansa Stark: weak-willed, ineffectual, role-fulfilling, dull and courteous. She has always been my least favourite character in the series (A Song of Ice and Fire), but I've found it's true that we haven't capacity to hate anything as much as those similar to ourselves.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's easy for people that aren't twins to use these types of words and phrases. But to twins, they're painful. There's this stigma that twins are the same. Copies of each other. Interchangeable. Something deprived of individuality outside of the unit itself.

Twins are not the same. They're people just like everyone else with different personalities and dreams, and if the population decides to view them as such, then they have different friends as well, and people that can tell them how much they are worth. As a single person.
Yep, I understand completely :) Didn't mean to offend...
However, I wasn't trying to discount individuality at all - no two people are alike, obviously, and I'm certainly not saying twins are identical or lack individuality. I was only suggesting that it is my personal observation that when two people look almost identical (regardless of biological ties) they often have similar traits - ergo, facial structure suggests type, or rather that personality is mirrored in the facial build. It's just a theory and I may be way off. I like to see patterns in humanity because for me it shows creative design - the way all sixteen personalities balance each other, etc., the way we need all the types to balance one another, is fascinating and beautiful.
However, I have heard an INFJ say that their twin was an ISFJ, so I'm probably completely off with this...probably just one of my cockeyed theories. :) Sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt I'll ever "commit" to just one, as you say, twin. Self perception is fleeting and capricious. I alternate between being Stannis and Renly Baratheon, between being Holden Caulfield and Jay Gatsby, between whole troops of characters with sparse and subtle common traits. Perhaps I'll create my twin, perhaps I'll transcribe myself. More likely, I'll piece a motley twin together from many instances of characters.
Yes, I don't generally identify with only one character either, or that one character all the time. My perception of myself changes as I learn more about myself. Also, we all have layers to our personalities, so we're not just one thing all the time.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
No, the closest I ever get is finding people with small life narrative similarities or pieces of shared childhood narrative in that 'birds of a feather birds flock together' kind of way a bit more as I get older, often being more drawn to older people.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yep, I understand completely :) Didn't mean to offend...
However, I wasn't trying to discount individuality at all - no two people are alike, obviously, and I'm certainly not saying twins are identical or lack individuality. I was only suggesting that it is my personal observation that when two people look almost identical (regardless of biological ties) they often have similar traits - ergo, facial structure suggests type, or rather that personality is mirrored in the facial build. It's just a theory and I may be way off. I like to see patterns in humanity because for me it shows creative design - the way all sixteen personalities balance each other, etc., the way we need all the types to balance one another, is fascinating and beautiful.
However, I have heard an INFJ say that their twin was an ISFJ, so I'm probably completely off with this...probably just one of my cockeyed theories. :) Sorry if I offended anyone.
I have an identical twin sister.

I wasn't offended, but I just wanted to comment that most of the population has this view about twins being the same.

·
Banned
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't offended, but I just wanted to comment that most of the population has this view about twins being the same.
Yes, I understand that society has that misguided notion. I certainly wasn't trying to perpetuate it. I loathe stereotypes in all shapes and forms, and the idea that twins are identical, or have "the same soul" (Nazi philosophy) is irritating. I can only imagine how aggravating it must be to have people limit your identity in that way.
Truthfully, though, I wasn't talking about biological twins at all; I just didn't phrase myself very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts