Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i think it was kateykinz? but someone posted a thread on here about INFJ bus-riding patterns and someone talked about how INFJs naturally start looking to the left when they go into "thinking" mode when they are daydreaming or whatnot.

i noticed someone i talk to recently... like when we are talking, he doesn't prefer to look straight at each other, or gaze/ stare at someone directly. when he talks, sometimes he is looking in one direction, so i have the feeling he is looking in that direction, but in reality, he is sort of studying someone out of the corner of his eyes. like, if we are sitting side by side, and talking before lecture together, it'll look like he's staring straight at the front, but i notice he is actually looking out of the corner of his eye towards my direction. for me, i'm pretty sure i fall into the pattern of staring/gazing directly at that person or if im aware of my staring, i take a break and look elsewhere, but i usually have to have my gaze concentrated somewhere. so if we sit side by side, i usually turn my body a little, so it's more accomodating, and i like to make eye contact or if not, i will focus my gaze somewhere else, but i don't have that "face in one direction/eye in another direction" thinkg going on.

So have you guys seen anyone do this? if so , do you know what preferences they've been? maybe not TYPE but just knowing any type of preferences would be helpful. as people -watchers, im sure many of us have seen SOMEONE do this? i wish i can know what preferences/types usually do this tho.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Eye contact - Men vs Women

curious0610,

I hope my post isn't disappointing. But to be honest, this is from what I understand a guy thing. For the most part they do not hold gazes when talking to people. Women do this more. It could be that he is actually looking at someone else, or just trying to break up the gazing into each other's eyes, for comfort level.

Have a friend or an acquaintance do a test with you. Is your gaze penetrating and a bit intense for others? That is a possibility here too. If I look closely I have been told that I can look inside a person, by some people that know me. So I often do not hold long stares of eye contact. Only with lovers or close friends. But anyone else, not really. I think there maybe be more information about this in body language articles and things. Maybe this person is nervous, or their attention span is dwindling.

Unless I am misreading your question...Is this about the cute guy in your office again?! tee hee

303 Posts
eye movements have little, if anything to do with type, to be blunt. Psychologically speaking, a person's eyes tend to move to the right when recalling a memory and to the left when being creative or making something up. This is something interrogators and behavioural analysis people have noticed. However, this pattern is usually reversed for those who are left handed.

If it has anything to do with type, it could be the dominant Ni. Ni users are considered left-brained, and thus analytical. This would seem to support the idea that an Ni user's eyes would tend to shift to the right most of the time. However, an INFJ is also known for being creative and having a lot of (internal) mental imagery. So it is possible that his or her eyes could shift to the left often too.
Doesn't seem like it would have that much to do with type in general though. It's not "an INFJ thing."
as far as not meeting a gaze directly, it seems like quite a few guys do this, including yours truly. I don't know...it's more comfortable and less awkward to look at someone out of the corner of your eye, rather than straight on. Unfortunately, it's also usually perceived as being rude, if not odd or creepy, so i try not to do it when i think about it.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
this IS about the cute guy. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: and of course, as an INFJ, it is my job to analyze everything he does. :crazy:
curious0610,

You are so cute! I just KNEW this had to be about him. It seems like he is shy, and clearly too smitten to look into your eyes, thus he may blush or something...OK, now I am making up fantasy! But you know best...you are there. It seems like he likes you a lot from what I've been reading. I'll post in your other Thread. I am curious about your next move.

Perhaps you can slip him an MBTI test website...Tell him it will help his communication skills or something office-y. Ask him his type. This may help you alleviate some of your curiosity.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I tend to not hold eye contact very well, I look down or to my side a lot during a conversation. Its a nervous thing, I do it even more if I don't know the person well.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
You should change your nick to "courageous0610". ;)

I heard once that someone is lying to you if they glance off to the left in conversation... I think I heard that on a TV show though. Haha. :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
I actually do this quite a bit. When deep in thought or really trying to understand what the person is saying I tend to zone out or not look directly at them. Sometimes I just need to experience things within my head, so I shut out the peripheral distractions.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
If I am in an interview or it's anything career related, I make a point to focus on their eyes during a handshake and try to focus on their eyes more throughout a conversation.

Otherwise, I look away quite often. I also know if I am thinking about something I prefer to stare at nothing so I can think (the floor, a wall, ceiling,etc.) straight.

Though, if it's a girl I fancy (hah I like using this word now for some reason), I will probably look into her eyes a bit longer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rolls eyes.....come on...do the coffee thing!!!:wink: The worst he can do is be flattered!

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I never look into anyone's eyes, I look past them.

Reactions: CyberSheep

·
Registered
151 Posts
I usually look at people's mouth when they talk, trying to read the lips to double check that what I think I hear is indeed correct. I have excellent hearing, but not so excellent ability to be truly present in the here and now...

And I tend to look to the side a lot, because I wander into my own mind to process what you just said. Additionally, I've been told that people begin to feel uncomfortable if I stare them in their eyes for too long, so I try to avoid that (unless I intentionally want to make them nervous :wink:).

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I always look at people indirectly when I talk to them, never full on stares, unless I want to penetrate their souls and INHABIT THEIR BODIES AND TAKE OVER THEIR WORLD!!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAH

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, I don't make eye contact unless it is necessary. I usually look around their body, like the outline of their form. I try to take in the whole image altogether. To do so you have to look at a person without looking at them. In cars when I with people I never turn to look at them, I look at them out the corner of my eye.

·
Registered
737 Posts
so i think it was kateykinz? but someone posted a thread on here about INFJ bus-riding patterns and someone talked about how INFJs naturally start looking to the left when they go into "thinking" mode when they are daydreaming or whatnot.
Damn, I do that! If I've confronted with something during a conversation where I need to 'think' about it, I turn my head to the left and look down.

I just did it now as I thought about this phrase.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I do the eye thing that you speak of sometimes.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I also do this :blushed: So what was said earlier might be right.. It could be a male thing. Though I never considered myself doing specifically male things :crazy: I am around women a lot, so I may take over their behaviours

1 - 18 of 18 Posts