Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone has had some experience, that's obvious. What I really want to know is- are you socially awkward? Having Ne as a dominant function, similarly to extraverted sensing, I feel like the problem of not thinking something through before saying it could be a more common problem. Its weird...I've seen this with introverts too, but I'm more interested in how it might affect Ne because of this and the fact that its more odd to see socially awkward extroverts than introverts. I think ENTPs can be socially awkward the only thing is they can hide it more in the moment because of their confidence and because they're firstly a perceiving function-judging function second, they might not feel the awkwardness or associated feelings of that till later.

I know for a fact, I've said stuff, just speaking off the top of my head and then afterward realised how awkward of a thing that might have been to say, but I can ignore it within that moment too. I'm also a nervous Nellie and it shows through fidgeting and moving around a lot or laughing which I'm pretty sure can be attributed to an Fe placement in a stack...right?

Anyway, this thread isn't so much about me but about how social awkwardness might show in an ENTP. I personally just want to understand social awkwardness in relation to cognitive functioning too.

So basically the real question is, how might you be socially awkward and how often?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I feel like w/ me I'm socially awkward around people who I don't relate to ... people who have different interests, outlooks, attitudes... people I'm not going to be close friends w/.. there's an awkwardness of not really being comfortable being myself around them and not knowing how to act.

I think that tends to/perhaps only happens w/ S types ..tho that isn't to say I don't also meet people of all the S types that I hit it off well w/.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
In a way I agree with @desire machine. Especially with Si doms/s in specific moments of their day in which they just want to sit down and talk about details in their lives, what time they've waken up, what they've eaten, and every single detail of their life until that same second. I find that extremely boring and I don't have anything to add about it, I just stay there, being socially awkward.
I wouldn't say it's a general S thing. They definitely are capable of having amazing and very interesting conversations but I guess that detail-oriented moments that they really need to talk about it's something we definitely do not see eye to eye.

Reactions: desire machine

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not an ENTP but i've definitely seen ENTP looking around and fidgeting when not having anything to add to a conversation or confronted with someone else's emotions they don't know how to deal with. And saying stuff and then being like why did I say that? Or being blunt and then being like that sounded worse than what i intended to. The 'say it first and think about it later' problem. Sometime though the realization will come way later, or never. They don't seem to be always aware of the emotions they induce in other people, and that can make things awkward or difficult quickly. Their natural confidence also makes it easier for themselves on the moment but can ultimately make them seem to others more like jerks than socially awkward.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
I'm generally quite comfortable in social situations.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have social anxiety and GAD so yeah...I can be pretty awkward. I mean I don't have aspergers (spelling)...like, I understand social cues and whatnot, they just come out weird at times because of my anxiety.

I've actually done a lot of thinking about it and my social awkwardness is at its worst when the dynamic between me and the other person/persons is different. At work I am very awkward, to the point where I know people notice it. I can't enter a group of people that is already formed, I always feel like the guy who is intruding and it comes off as awkward. They have their little inside jokes and their daily conversations and I never know what to say, and quite frankly I don't really care to begin with. Any time I feel like I am forced to be in a social situation, I get really awkward. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am a very direct person and I tend to be disrespectful...not in a malicious way, but I speak my mind without a filter and at work this is an obvious no no, and if I feel like I can't 100% be myself, it's almost like I have to create another personality or something and my brain gets confused so I appear awkward. Any time I have to act "professional" I can't do it, I just can't. There's too much I can't do and too much I can't say. The worst is when someone above me at my job tries to bullshit with me in a casual conversation...I don't want him to see that I carry around an "I don't give a shit" attitude, so I have to fake it, and I come off like an awkward robot. The GAD just makes it worse for me...like, I know how to chill and have a conversation, but in these situations I just can't and I don't know why. My mind can't stop thinking "these people are above me, they are professional, so I have to make a good impression". I feel like if I let my guard down and acted like myself I would get fired. At my most arrogant, I can be the worst kind of ESTP you know, but at my most socially awkward I can be the INFP who can't even carry a conversation. I like to flirt with girls that I like and I usually curse a lot when I speak, it's just how I talk. Both of these things you can't do at work so I just don't feel comfortable at all, among other reasons. I find it really hard to relax, and it's also why I can't deal with customers at a job. You're expected to act a certain way and it's so draining to even attempt it.

You know what, now that I think about it more...I think it also has a lot to do with small talk. I'm REALLY bad with small talk. I think it's stupid and I usually don't care about it, so I have nothing to say. I usually just awkwardly go "oh really? That's cool". I need to be on the same wavelength as somebody, somebody who seems as relaxed and as laid back as I am. If I get that impression from someone I'm usually a lot more fluid in conversation. In a casual setting you get people like this all the time, but at work every seems to be in "work mode" and to be honest, I don't have a "work mode".

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'm not an ENTP but i've definitely seen ENTP looking around and fidgeting when not having anything to add to a conversation or confronted with someone else's emotions they don't know how to deal with. And saying stuff and then being like why did I say that? Or being blunt and then being like that sounded worse than what i intended to. The 'say it first and think about it later' problem. Sometime though the realization will come way later, or never. They don't seem to be always aware of the emotions they induce in other people, and that can make things awkward or difficult quickly. Their natural confidence also makes it easier for themselves on the moment but can ultimately make them seem to others more like jerks than socially awkward.
Right back at you. ENTPs might be big dumb bulls in a China shop, but INFJs can be poisonous snakes that kill someone days later.

That was unkind on both our parts, but don't think we don't notice.

Granted, it isn't all, but don't play the delicate flower with passive aggression.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Right back at you. ENTPs might be big dumb bulls in a China shop, but INFJs can be poisonous snakes that kill someone days later.
That was unkind on both our parts, but don't think we don't notice.
Granted, it isn't all, but don't play the delicate flower with passive aggression.
I'm not even gonna deny that I can be passive aggressive, I know who I am lol but i'm definitely not playing anything, i'm not a delicate flower. It's fine to be a bull in a china shop, it all depends on if you're only gently tossing people around or straight up breaking them and then be like hey that's who I am. I've had difficult relationships with ENTPs in the past and it's definitely tainted my opinion of them, it doesn't mean i think they're all jerks just that they can be, like all types really.

Reactions: Haldir

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'm not even gonna deny that I can be passive aggressive, I know who I am lol but i'm definitely not playing anything, i'm not a delicate flower. It's fine to be a bull in a china shop, it all depends on if you're only gently tossing people around or straight up breaking them and then be like hey that's who I am. I've had difficult relationships with ENTPs in the past and it's definitely tainted my opinion of them, it doesn't mean i think they're all jerks just that they can be, like all types really.
That's fair. I can get on board with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts