• Here for the answers

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MOTM January 2013
10,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I’m curious about the drawn out discussions about Infps mistyping as Infis and if there is much credit to it. I see this is still a point of controversy in corners of the MBTI community(believe it or not). I myself haven’t typed as Infj but was wandering about if others have here and also, if they feel confident in their own Infp typing as of the current time.

If you could kindly tick a box above and elaborate or anything else regarding this topic that you think is worthwhile for discussion, interest. If you have mistyped as an Infj, how long did you mistype for and how did you reach an Infp typing?
Thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can see how an INFP could mistype as INFJ based on descriptions alone. But, most folks (especially INFPs) research further before settling on a type. I remember first browsing PerC and checking out the You know you’re an INFJ when … thread, and in less than half a page, I knew for certain that I did not fit with the type.

I actually don’t think INFJ is a common mistype for INFPs. That secondary Fe adds a flavor that is unrecognizable and grating to my dominant Fi.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
I sort of rambled on. Sorry.

I think that the arguments or "controversy" has to do with one camp following strict cognitive functions and one camp strictly following the Dichotomies.

I love the dichotomies. I/E, S/N and so on. I picture the MBTI testing my preferences, on a scale, (left // right). I is on the left, E is on the right. I am way, way to the left on the I, to the left on N, almost NO T at all and P/J... I tested P, but the older I have become I have noticed more J in me. Soooooo... I guess I'm inching toward INFJ. winky winky

I think I may have, in the 1970s, got a copy of Keirsey's book, taken the test in the front of the book, and possibly came out INFJ once. Memory is not too good, now.

However, through the years and another million online tests, I do not remember testing INFJ often. On the official MBTI, I was a solid INFP.

Do I doubt my type -- you ask. No. I am an INFP through and through.

Could I have tested as an INFJ on the official MBTI? Sure...... all it would have taken was a few more "tics" on the "J" side.

I hate Jung. Anything to do with him. Jung is caca. I am fully aware, of the love the mother and daughter had for him, but I am a lover of their blood, sweat and tears, not his excrement. :poop:

·
4,854 Posts
I have actually never ever gotten infj on a test, but then I have never gotten other ones either... except on a cognitive functions test once, where Ne was slightly higher than Fi so I got enfp. I think I usually get pretty clear results, but F/T and P/J are the once that are slightly closer to the middle. My guess is that on tests that don't take Fi and Fe into account, I am pretty close to intp, as I am pretty lacking in the Fe-ish department. I am almost a bit uneasy sometimes actually when taking some test that just slightly correlates with type, and I almost always end up getting the one that lots of infps get... it is starting to get annoying, haha. Being so predictable.

When it comes to descriptions, the point where I seem more infj than infp, is that I am not fine with just keeping my opinions to myself if I strongly believe in something, if I value something. I want to influence the world and people in it, and that is supposed to be a sign of infj-ishness I hear. But really, I think it is part of my values, I feel that I have a responsibility, that "the person that don't do something about the matter is not allowed to whine about it either"(saying). This only goes for the things that needs more people to agree though. I don't feel an urge to make people agree with me on matters where we can disagree without it being a problem (I feel strongly about skirts being superior to trousers for example, but if others want to wear trousers, fine by me (as long as they don't try to shame others out of wearing skirts)). But when animals live short and very miserable lives and are then slaughtered, when rich people make laws that allow them to legally steal the wealth of the poorer, when people ruin the planet and make lots of species go extinct... then I will try to meddle. What are my values really worth if I won't try to do something? We live interrelated lives, what they do affect me and those I care about, why shouldn't I do things that affect them? (sorry, bit of a ramble, trying to sort this out myself, not sure why it seems like this should be an infj trait... but I hear it time and again)

I agree with @Sily that part of the confusion is likely dichotomies/cognitive functions. when it comes to infp/infj, it seems to me that the groups (that seems relatively rare, but exist), who are not at all rigid in thought/categories, who can handle Ne-ish sproutings of thoughts, but who are still being able to keep their lives well in check, and who likes some routine to their time, and system of their environment - might feel confused as to if P or J. A few other typingvarieties (don't remember which) have sort of separated this, which I think is a good idea. I think I have seen a pattern that lots of NPs relate a lot to being so, and I can't really say I have seen many around here saying they used to be typed infj... more intps I think... but that is just a feel, I have not been keeping statistics over it.

Dichotomies won't take into account the difference of Fi and Fe, this will likely also make people confused if sometimes going by it and sometimes cognitive functions or a mixture.( I usually take the two first functions into account myself, but also E/I as socially relates extroversion/introversion, and to some extent P and J (know I have made this up myself, but it seems to be a compromise that works ok trying to navigate these things where there are so many cooks). ) For me myself, my low Fe (and almost a physical feeling when reading about it, of wanting to push it away...) is a clear sign of infp over infj, but if going only on dichotomies, it would make me move more from typical infp, on a scale, and more towards intp.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,242 Posts
It is my general impression that more often the case is INFJs mistyping as INFP because they aren't as organized as they think a J should be due to the fact that their Perceiving function is actually stronger than their Judging (it's just that J/P indicates which is used for engaging the external world, and that is not an Introvert's primary focus).

·
Registered
Cringe Connoisseur
95 Posts
I took a test meant to clarify whether I'm an INFP or INFJ:

Your Top Results

More Details
50%

INFP

More Details
50%

INFJ

I guffawed.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,017 Posts
There are quite a few F dom NFJs here mistyped as INFPs but I guess they don't relate to either ENFJ or INFJ descriptions because the former is too social or domineering and the latter is described more as N dom. As for the opposite it prob happens too because INFPs are actually adaptive feelers which the typology community thinks that's FJs when it's not.

·
Registered
INFX 4w3
121 Posts
I've gotten ENFJ before surprisingly. I don't know how you can go from always testing as introverts to randomly as an ENFJ but I actually got ENFJ quite a few times taking some tests. I don't know why, I don't think I'm really an ENFJ that's pretty far-fetched.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts