Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
People say this about me, too, and actually, it is rare for me to get angry. I tend to put that strong feeling on hold, and take to introvert-thinking it out, and then it cools generally before it can express itself outwardly. Plus I come up with excuses for people in my mind, always have. Very creative excuses for why they must have been having a bad day or were raised poorly so its not their fault.

I was just reflecting today that my favorite grandmother, now passed on, was likely ENFP. First time I ever realized this. She also, rarely, if ever, got angry. Did stew, though, with some bitterness and resentment, over her father (who was unkind to her mother who was a "saint") and her husband who had left her when my Dad was three, to remarry. In spite of this, she was the most loving, validating adult in my life when I was growing up, and is a reason for my sanity.

A student teacher/colleague was also an ENFP, and I also cannot imagine her angry. At least not ranting. It would be a quiet annoyance, not anger.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I've seen an angry ENFP, yes. I was on the receiving end of one when I informed her that, in her staff picture, she looked as though she'd "Been hit in the face with a bat". It didn't go down well / I got the silent treatment for a while.

She got over it. Eventually.

Actually, she didn't. Thinking about it, she rarely talks to me and often sneers when I look at her. Bless.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Yes. Yes, I have. It's not pretty. It's really, really not pretty. The ENFP I know will usually bottle up her anger so as not to "burden" me with her "overreactions". At some point later in time, when I am least expecting it, she will blow up in my face and will use whatever excuse to justify her outburst (I was being too sarcastic; I'm not paying attention to her, etc.) which would seem so trite to me only because I wouldn't know that the source of her anger was not tied to that particular moment but rather, it had to do with whatever she was mad at before.

When she explodes, I say nothing. When I say nothing, she gets angrier. When she gets angrier, I begin to become flustered. When I become flustered, she gets even angrier and starts slinging barbs at me. When she slings barbs at me, I get angry. When I get angry, she calms down and asks me why I'm so angry. When she calms down and asks me why I'm so angry, I pretty much just...

·
Registered
750 Posts
You wont like me when I am angry - The Hulk

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
@pmj85 >.> I'm not sure whether to laugh or facepalm. You probably hit a nerve and are now forever associated with some horrible event in her past that made her feel unattractive. :p

We seem to thrive on drama, so the little irritations and irksomeness of every day life are fuel for enthusiastic play-acting of anger. REAL anger is something that has been pushed past all of the safety mechanisms in place for me:

1. Humor. If there's something to laugh about, it's hard to really be upset.

2a. Cranky Bear Face. Sulking and grumping about, making a show of being upset. Depending on the time, place, and exact nature of the mood, can be folded arms glaring, sighing loudly in a corner, or stomping around with hands flailing wildly to an inner monologue.

2b. GRAAAAAAH!!!! The point where words are more of a frustration than anything else. Trying to explain what's wrong only increases the irritation with the situation. Desire to throw a temper tantrum at its highest - may be in the form of cursing, throwing an offending object down or across the room, or slamming doors. Still very theatrical.

3. Depression. Anger hits a wall and diverts into sadness. :( Want to be alone....but not really.

4. Self attack. Depression rises back into anger and is redirected at self. May start ranting about own shortcomings with bitter hostility.

5. Stewing. Unresolved anger sits at the forefront of thoughts, dragging up memories of every negative thing the person or people who provoked the anger have ever done. An internal monologue begins forming into a full-on rant toward that person/people.

6. Outburst. Some random part of the monologue that usually makes no sense whatsoever is announced, followed by a dramatic exit. >.> A second thought pops into mind and prompts a dramatic return to elaborate or make another accusation. This may repeat a few times.

All of these are still in the realm of the overdramatic, and therefore "safe" responses, still readily resolved. However, if I'm ignored, treated condescendingly, threatened, or is otherwise insulted and not allowed to resolve the issue, all bets are off.

Then there's a haze of red fury and pure feral rage. >.> In most cases, it probably won't come to a physical altercation (if it did, I think I'd be like trying to give a cat a bath; all claws, teeth, and weird contorting) - but even if it's just verbal, within that state I do not have the care or tact that keeps me from saying hurtful, destructive things. Things that would never be said otherwise.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes, Yes I have. Trying to counteract this anger is incredibly difficult. However, I've noticed it doesn't last long.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My husband wants to make an account on PerC just to answer this! Except he blames it on my red hair.

I have some anger issues which I also inherited from my Dad. I don't know what my deal is. I get mad and when I get mad I get really mad. I have done better the older I get. Im not really proud of it or anything and I think it is very immature. I actually really very patient, but if I get pushed is when I snap. Like spaghetti flying through the air kind of snap. lol!

·
Registered
825 Posts
When I get angry, I'll either stuff it down or if someone I'm close to asks, I will flat out say "I'm pissed because of XYZ."

My good friends know to leave me alone and not bother comforting me because I just need to brood in my own little corner or I will lash out my anger on someone, especially if they were the root of the evil. Sometimes I might cry if whatever made me angry hurt me, too. I usually run to the bathroom when that happens. :X

Ways to cure me when I'm in angry Godzilla mode:
1) Food
2) Taking a nap

:D

This behavior happened mainly when I was in leadership positions and since then, I've gotten a lot better at controlling my anger. :) Taking a leadership role forced me to show good face around people even if I was breaking at the seams with anger.

·
Banned
72 Posts
@SocioApathetic and @Alysaria have it exactly!
I'm very dramatic with my irritations! "You ALWAYS do that!", "um... that is the first time I've finished the milk..." Sometimes confuses people :p And it's usually done with a smile on my face because I know I'm being ridiculous...
It takes a lot to push me past the threshold but once I'm there, oh goodness... then I usually run from the problem to sort it out by myself before I explode and reek havoc on the world. I really hate being angry! Which makes me more angry when I get angry...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yes. I have an ENFP girlfriend and I've been in only one situation so far where she was -genuinely- angry. Like a fool I unknowingly insulted her and she displayed her fury by giving me the death glares and shutting doors and closets as loud as possible without making a crack. I'd notice all this and try to start a convo with her when she'd not even take a short glance at me and return one-word answers like some serious ISTP. This actually happened last night at her apartment. I then firmly told her that I know she is mad and asked why. From there she began to sob and her Ne and Fi went all over the place. I'm confident that your Ne can fill in the rest of the details. :wink:

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
LOL

I'm the opposite. My colleagues, friends, and family often thinks I'm angry when I'm not.

Reactions: Ahiko and Botanace

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
I was talking to some of my friends the other day and they were saying how they could never imagine me getting mad at someone nor could they imagine anyone getting mad at me.
I was wondering if it was the same for other ENFPs :kitteh:
definitely not. I have seen several ENFPs who have become intensely frustrated and angry in the past. if you ever experience an ENFP who's Fi has been pushed to the limits, be warned, their anger is downright terrifying.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I've seen an angry ENFP, yes. I was on the receiving end of one when I informed her that, in her staff picture, she looked as though she'd "Been hit in the face with a bat". It didn't go down well / I got the silent treatment for a while.

She got over it. Eventually.

Actually, she didn't. Thinking about it, she rarely talks to me and often sneers when I look at her. Bless.
So you insulted her picture, with a comment that was meant to be a joke but comes off as crude and not funny, and then you continue to insult her further by patronising her cold attitude toward you?

I've got to say.. i don't approve of that.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Question is, was my comment made in retaliation? What were the circumstances surrounding the event? Was she entirely blameless, the only victim? Was it justified? Was it taken entirely the wrong way?

Holy Ne, Batman!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Anger..well, I'm short-tempered to some extent. Though I try to keep my mind cool and calm.But it's really not a big deal. Now, when I really become angry, it's just like an earthquake. This phenomena is rare though.

Reactions: GeminiMoon

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have a friend who is always amused by the fact she's never seen me angry in all of the years she's known me. I keep telling her: "Trust me, this is a good thing". I have a lot of pent-up anger, just like the rest of you, because I tend to try and brush the smaller stuff off and end up bottling up so much rage. When I get everyday-angry (i.e. the kind of angry normal people would get) I tend to slam doors or cupboards, throw death glares and absolutely fume (I am sure my anger radiates off me in burning hot spikes - people shrink away in fear). But when I am legitimately angry, I have to pretty much be restrained. I will rip the head off whomever is in my way, it pretty much becomes blind rage. I can't even brain when I am experiencing full-blown anger. Thankfully, it takes A LOT to get me to that point. :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts