Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am more and more starting to doubt my type. When someone posts a thread like this I always say something like ‘yes it’s okay, we will never be a 100% sure if we really are an INFJ’, but the point is, I hate this lack of closure. I don’t want to be an imposter and I don’t want to pretend being an INFJ. I don’t want to think of every INFJ-post I see ‘gosh, (s)he thinks so differently, I'm not an INFJ’.

Is this feeling familiar to you? Could you please share your experiences? What made you realise you are an INFJ? I would love to hear some advice.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're doubting your type, I highly recommend looking at the cognitive functions more closely. INFJ and INFP are only one letter apart, but their cognitive functions are completely different, thus they're not as similar as you'd think. Not too sure if you're familiar with the functions?
I never really doubted if I was another type, I just sort of "knew", from tests and researching more on cognitive functions :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're doubting your type, I highly recommend looking at the cognitive functions more closely. INFJ and INFP are only one letter apart, but their cognitive functions are completely different, thus they're not as similar as you'd think. Not too sure if you're familiar with the functions?
I never really doubted if I was another type, I just sort of "knew", from tests and researching more on cognitive functions :)
Oh yes, I know about the functions!
I am no Ne/Si user; I'm almost certain of that.

I am just not sure if I am an Ni-dom...

Thanks for replying, by the way!

·
Registered
25,970 Posts
Take a free online Jungian cognitive quiz. I did the one at similarminds as was recommended from lurking an INTP thread not long ago. I doubt the preciseness and validity but it gives a rough idea.

Don't worry if your ideas or opinions don't mirror those of others. I see myself in a lot of types and I see a lot of people who just talk a lot. *shrug* humans, whachu gonna do?

Reactions: Retrospective

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes, I have gone through times of doubting my type, and I'm sure there will be more of that to come in the future. Currently I feel confident about my type. The problem with doubting my type, though, is that it's never just one other type that I'm debating about. If I'm unsure about being an INFJ, it means I'm going to be considering multiple types at the same time. Because when I'm unsure, I start to distrust everything I think, which makes trying to learn about myself very difficult... I've started to accept, though, that when I'm THAT confused about my identity, it's probably not the best time to try to discover my type. haha So I always come back to INFJ...

The thing about looking into MBTI so much is that you're always learning new information, which means more info that you have to go over and wonder "hm.. does this fit?" So, with that in mind, I don't think doubting your type is a bad thing, but it can certainly be frustrating! I can relate to not wanting to feel like an imposter or 'pretending' to be a certain type, but at some point I think you realize that it is all part of the process. The thing to remember is there are going to be people who share your type (whether it's INFJ or otherwise) who are quite different from you. Sometimes differences you see really will show that you're a different type, and sometimes they just show variance within a type. But I would try not to become too distressed about it. If you are going to doubt your type and look into others, I would advise doing so not based on comparing yourself to others, but by reading up on the various types and personality theory in general. Don't do it due to comparison, it will drive you mad.

The other thing about not wanting to pretend... if you did happen to switch types or seriously consider others, how confident then do you think you would be? I assume you'd be just as unsure of your XXXX status as you would be with your INFJ status, and therefore would be in the same boat. Unless you come across something in your reading and exploring that really sticks out as being "off" or if you come across something about another type that makes you go "WOW. I have been wrong all this time; this explains everything!" I would advise you to stick to and try to be comfortable with your current typing. If most of the time learning about INFJs helps you and makes you feel understood, I would say to stick with it. While keeping an open mind, of course.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was totally certain I was an INFJ for a while, but the fact that I'm so much more socially inept than an auxiliary Fe user would be finally got to me, and I decided to re-examine my typing. I knew I valued Fe, but I didn't have a grasp on it, and I was finally like, "Wait, shit, what if I'm an INTP?" I'd never considered the possibility of being a thinking type because I'm not an asshole*, and most MBTI thinkers on the web act like assholes, but it all fell into place after a bit of research.

The most important thing to remember, in my opinion, is that MBTI has some flaws. It's far from a perfect system, so if you don't fit neatly into the description of any type or don't relate completely to any of the function stackings, that's all right. That's the boat I'm in, but INTP makes the most sense right now, so that's how I'm identifying.

Are there any other types you're considering as a possibility?

*Usually.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Not really, if anything I have always been more concerned with emotional stability and trying to embrace my feelings more through therapy, new experiences and cutting negative influences out of my life so I can practice humility and be more sensitive to balancing others needs and my own more.

Indirectly personality traits and types have been more of a baseline rather than a typology need, enabling me to measure emotional wellbeing and character expression needs better rather than fitting a type (morals and values seem more important tbh).

·
Registered
930 Posts
I really don't think anybody fits into one type perfectly. It's absolutely fine to flow through different types. There's people on this forum who I've seen type themselves as eight different types. It's all a part of personal growth.

As for me, I have always typed as ISFJ but more recently I have increased my intuitive side. And now whenever I take the test, INFJ. I use Si and Ni dominantly. And if anybody says that's not a possibility, well... they aren't me so they can't judge my daily experience :p

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes! I have considered INFP, but Ne/Si never seemed right.
I have also considered ENFJ and INTJ in the past.
Something that helped me accept that I'm probably an INFJ is that all the types that I considered were the ones here:
INFJ vs INFP, ENFJ, ISFJ - Personality Junkie

So, INFP, ISFJ, ENFJ, and INTJ. As it turns out, they're all one letter away from INFJ. I know that doesn't say anything about the functions, but in a way it does make sense that they would be the ones we'd consider. Oh whoops, INTJ actually isn't compared there, but it would still fit the pattern.

If you have never read that, it's possible that it could be helpful for you. It still sounds kind of vague, but it could be worth the read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts