Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm quite new here and let me explain a little about what I'm experiencing now.

I'm currently in the 10th grade in school. In my education system, the 10th grade is split into two streams, the arts and the science. When you're in the science stream you'll study Bio, Chem, Physics, and additional mathematics and you'll study Econs, Commerce, General Science and Geography in the arts (with the 5 core subjects, total for each student would be 9 subjects) . There is a stigma in my education system whereby the art stream students are regarded to be the less academically competent because only students who've scored well in their previous year are eligible for the science stream.

This year I started out in the science stream and was doing a horrible job at it, not being able to cope with add math and physics. Because I was doing quite bad, I was given an option from my school to either continue or switch. About two months ago, I switched to the arts stream. I'm still having problems accepting this cause part of me really wants to stay in the science stream to study chemistry and biology. Of course the stigma is bugging me real bad as well, it's a big blow to my ego because 'I dropped out of the science' and people automatically think that the Arts is an easier stream. Not to mention that by making this decision, I also won't be able to pursue science related careers in the future.

Is there anything I can do so that I'll just move on completely so I can study my current subjects in peace?

Argh, this is so frustrating.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've definitely been in similar situations before, and there is a lesson to be learned here. This quote may help:

"But let each one prove what his own work is, and then he will have cause for exultation in regard to himself alone, and not in comparison with the other person" - Galatians 6:4

The key is to evaluate yourself according to your own capabilities, not to everyone else's. If you continue to compare yourself to others, you will become chronically discontented, because you cannot emulate the gift that someone else has naturally. Ask yourself, "What am I good at?" Once you discover this, work hard to develop that talent, and as time passes, you can look back at your progress with a joy that is pure and complete.

This may seem like a hard thing to do, but if you develop this attitude now, you will save yourself so much unnecessary pain in the future, and you'll be able to pursue your studies free from concern of what everyone else is thinking. You'll also prevent yourself from becoming arrogant when you do become good at something, because you're not thinking of how much better you may be than everyone else. Hope this helps!:happy:

Reactions: KimberlyO
1 - 3 of 3 Posts