Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a list of qualities for each side. I v E F vS etc.... and noticed i could jump from one side to the other all the way down.

How does one settle on one concrete side ? I mean i worry what others think about me but at the same time i talk for britian and tend to speak first regret later... but im very organized in my external world... everything in its right place... etc.

Yesterday during a work training course... i pointed something out that wasn't all the relevant to the training we were having but was something that the trainer mentioned they hadnt ever noticed themselves or had pointed out to them.. thats not to say someone else hasnt thought of it or noticed it but i was the first to splutter it out upon noticing it.

Training course was called ERO which stands for Event,Respone,Outcome... i just mentioned that if they added H to the beginning for hello then it would spell HERO which is exactly what the person would be as i ties in with emergency calls.

I have a habit of noticing things others dont... imaginative but also good at seeing patterns developing.. remembering faces... etc.. so im torn whether im infj or isfj.

thoughts ? im way to overly emotional to be ISFJ yet seem to lean towards S with the above example no ?

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
I preface every reply I make to threads like these the same way because it's always important to make clear to everyone: Remember that most of the information available about types or functions is stereotypical nonsense that people have thrown into the info pool off the top of their heads, which people take at face value and circulate.

It's important to focus on what each function is in its essence rather than the "qualities" that are associated with it. Just because you're a Sensor for example doesn't mean you'll never have any traits associated with Intuition, because the two aren't mutually-exclusive. An Intuitive prioritises abstracts, but still has five senses and a sensory memory just like everyone else and uses them the same way everyone else does. A Sensor prioritises literal information, but still has a pattern-seeking human brain just like everyone else which they'll use to connect dots and play with concepts. We wouldn't have advanced so far as a species without it.

Remember that if you use Ni, then you also use Se. If you use Si, then you also use Ne. And vice-versa on both.
If you use Fe, then you also use Ti. If you use Te, then you also use Fi. Vice-versa.
This is a helpful thing to focus on when working stacks out, I think. Process of elimination helps. It's also important to focus on what each function actually does rather than what they supposedly look like. How a function manifests in a person can vary, but what they do with it is universal.

ISFJs never beng emotional is just a stereotype. Any type can be emotional.

Reactions: fendertele

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a great post and again showing that just because our main functions are at work doesnt mean the inferior ones are dormant. my biggest issue is im hopeless at figuring this stuff out based on what you have explained.

And most of these tests rely to much on black or white.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
What stands out clearest for me from what you’ve written is J nature.

From what you’re saying you sound like maybe you are a double decider— someone whose F and T functions are in the middle. Although to give you 100% of that I’d have to know you better, but from what you said, you could be someone who can see what others want/think well and see what you yourself want/think as well independently of what others think. If you are a J then you would give greater weight to what others think than to what you yourself think, but both will play a part in your decisions.

If you are a double-decider and a J that means you are an IxxJ. For IxxJs control of ideas versus control of sensory is going to be a dominant theme, I only have what you’ve written here to go off of, though, and so since the J characteristics are what I most notice, feel free to think you might be a ExxJ if IxxJ doesn’t quite seem correct, but you sound like you are likely an IXxJ to me, especially from what you are saying about control of things around you.

So let’s explore how you organize material things:

Do you (Ni) focus on the concepts when you organize (why this way of organizing works for these types of items? The interest is not particularly in the items themselves but in how you organize?

Or (SI) do you look at each thing you are organizing and using that thing for the right reason is important? do you feel like you have a history with these items? Do you have regular routines for organizing?

Looking at what an Ni dom would suppress... they would suppress new sensory experience. They would get upset if people took them to places that overwhelm them in sensory info.

Looking at SI they would be suppressing and controlling new concepts. They get upset when people ask them to do something that they are used to in a new different way.

I hope I am describing that accurately since I am not an IxxJ.

ISFJs who I know are very emotions driven. I’m not sure where you heard a stereotype that they are not emotional.

There is also INTJ and ISTJ who are also IxxJs.

I have a hunch that thinking of adding the H to ERO is likely inferior Ne. It’s connecting the pattern that is already there and expanding on it. So that leads me to have a hunch that you are an ISFJ or ISTJ.

What are your questions about this info? What more can you tell us to help you get typed?

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Honestly, second to you knowing yourself the most is your family and friends (but family first because they know the true you from birth). If you have doubts, ask your family. They will help clarify things for you. Internet strangers can only decipher so much. But your family? They’ve been with you your entire life (from the time you were in your mother’s womb, in diapers, hormonal teenager, etc., etc.). They should also help solidify things based on consensus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts