Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel as though I fit both so much, and then again I think the two are very similar in many ways. It's really hard for me to decide whether I'm an ENTP with strong feeling characteristics or an ENFP with strong thinking characteristics.
Thinking
Let's see, one thing that makes me believe I am ENTP is that I love to debate and will argue about almost anything. People see me as that one person that has to argue about everything anyone says because they believe they're right. People see me as the smart ass who always has to be right and correct people on any mistake. I'm that one person who never studies and appears to not listen, but consistently has extremely high averages on tests. My mind moves between different ideas all the time, and always goes at a fast pace. I completely lack self discipline and always need new things or I'll get bored. I am very logical in the way I think, seeing as though I am excellent at Algebra and the logical part of it, but I absolutely hate geometry! I hate making mistakes and try to constantly make everything perfect. People see me as the "nerd". I absolutely can't stand( I can't say I hate but I can't stand these type of people) ignorant and stupid people.
Feeling
I am great at understanding other people and have an odd essence of making people feel better just by being there. I am great at starting things but can never finish them unless I am very interested in what I am doing. I am the most hyper, talkative, and loud person you will ever meet once you get to know me. I absolutely hate having people point out my mistakes, I strive to be the "perfectionist." I am the one that is always there for people no matter what. I have a nurturing quality to me and my goal in life is to be a parent. I have very feminine ways of thinking about things and am very in touch with my feminine side( as many enfp males are). I am constantly told I should be a psychologist. I am always acting happy so that people around me don't feel sorry for me. I smile at people just to see them smile back, and when they do I get a very warm feeling inside me. I am a very romantic type of person that strives to have a "soulmate" in life. Whenever I get mad at somebody I may start cursing them out, but in the middle of that I keep saying I don't mean, because even though they deserve it I don't like the feeling of making someone feel that way. If I was asked to fight someone, I wouldn't because I know that hurting that person would hurt me more then it would them. I need people around me and need to feel appreciated by people. I hate seeing others argue about problems between them and want to stop the argument ( I hate personal problem arguments and strive to stop them, but I love theoretical debates or arguing my point on something). I absolutely hate ignorant and stupid people, but I don't tell them that they are, because I don't want to hurt their feelings. I don't like being confrontational to people I dislike as I hate the feeling of calling people names to bring them down. Even when I'm very mad at someone that I'm close to I can't just tell them to leave me alone or fuck off like most people can.
Thanks for any help y'all may give. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You could be ENTP with a well developed Fe.

One of my best friends is ENFP and one of the major differences between us is how we deal with people. She's more focused on relationships...Forming them, building them, maintaining them. If you were to give her a job, she will place just as much importance on getting to know her coworkers and building relationships with them as she will be getting the job done. She will deal with people to the point that she exhausts herself emotionally and like an introvert, she sometimes needs time to herself to "recharge". ENFP's are the most introvert extroverted type for that exact reason. Her Ne, which is responsible for forming new ideas, aims itself towards people. What new things can she do to improve the relationship she has with so and so? What would be a fun thing to do on Saturday night? She can be incredibly random and silly.

Me on the other hand, I'm more interested in ideas and facts. I'm not out to hurt people, but I'm not so afraid that I might that it alters how I behave. Give me a job, and I'm not going to be very concerned with who I work with at all, as long as they are competent. If somebody is really bringing me down or can't respect me, I will cut them off. Like my ENFP friend, sometimes I need to "recharge", since ENTP's are next in line when it comes to introverted extroverts, but its not because I'm emotionally drained, but mentally. I find a lot of people to be difficult to deal with when working together. They don't always see eye to eye with me, or can't appreciate a different point of view, so its mentally draining to work with them. My Ne aims itself more at improving ideas or objects. This is why ENTP's are often inventors. We tinker with whats out there and try to improve it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading in the ENTP forums especially the ones about dealing with ENTP children I have discovered that I am most definitely ENTP with a well developed fe. I could relate to everything they said about the disorder, the argumentative side, the being more introvert as a teenager and talking more to adults than peers, the starting and never finishing, and the "I'll do it later" type of attitude. Thanks for the help. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hmm. I was about to tell you you are ENFP! It can be difficult to tell the difference, as Fi is quite a "separate" kind of people skill, so could look like tertiary Fe, I suppose.

The key thiing is, how do you make your decisions? No matter how much someone might feel personally affected, would you tell them the uncomfortable truth or make the decision that must logiically be made and feel happy with that? If so then yeah, ENTP. But the business of feeling other peoples' pain is more ENFP. I have good Fe but I'm still pretty insensitive. My ENFP daughter shows a fair few Ti characteristics, but is definitely a feeler.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You started off with "I feel" instead of "I think."

I guess you should look at the definitions for Fe and Fi and decide which one you use. ENTPs use Fe, ENFPs use Fi.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Debate and argue are actually Ne traits - ENFPs poke people around same as ENTPs - actually it is extravert trait in general because extraverts want interaction out of their environment and feel bad if they don't get it. Thus prompting others into conversations.

ENFPs make internal judgements based on feelings, whether something feels or doesn't feel good to them personally, but express judgement according to extraverted logic, whether or not something is logical to do by some outside standards.
ENTPs make internal judgments based on logic, whether they personally think something is logical or not, but express their judgment according to extraverted feeling, whether or not somebody else's behavior is ethical or not.

ENFPs are independent feelers whose feeling isn't dictated by norms or other people around them. But their logic is objective and aligned to what other people around them consider logical.
ENTPs are independent thinkers whose logic isn't dictated by what is considered logical by those around them. But their expression of feelings abide by what is considered to be the norm to feel by outside standards.

When ENTP is introverting he or she probably feels more like an an INTP - more focus is shifted to introverted thinking. When ENFP is introverting he or she probably feels more like an INFP - more focus is shifted to introverted feeling.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Debate and argue are actually Ne traits - ENFPs poke people around same as ENTPs - actually it is extravert trait in general because extraverts want interaction out of their environment and feel bad if they don't get it. Thus prompting others into conversations.

ENFPs make internal judgements based on feelings, whether something feels or doesn't feel good to them personally, but express judgement according to extraverted logic, whether or not something is logical to do by some outside standards.
ENTPs make internal judgments based on logic, whether they personally think something is logical or not, but express their judgment according to extraverted feeling, whether or not somebody else's behavior is ethical or not.

ENFPs are independent feelers whose feeling isn't dictated by norms or other people around them. But their logic is objective and aligned to what other people around them consider logical.
ENTPs are independent thinkers whose logic isn't dictated by what is considered logical by those around them. But their expression of feelings abide by what is considered to be the norm to feel by outside standards.

When ENTP is introverting he or she probably feels more like an an INTP - more focus is shifted to introverted thinking. When ENFP is introverting he or she probably feels more like an INFP - more focus is shifted to introverted feeling.
This.

Also, I think a good way to distinguish a ENTP with a ENFP would to make an argument between them, something that they're passionate about. When they argue, there will be a greater split because of the Ti (ENTP) vs. Te (ENFP) logic. Another important factor would be the dominance of Fe vs. Ne. I would take good guess that the ENFP would have a much more emotionally charged argument than the ENTP. At the lowest point in the argument, the ENTP would just shrug and complete stop thinking about it whereas the ENFP would have a harder time not thinking about it. I would say that (and I could be wrong) a ENFP would likely remember the expressions of the argument vs. the ENTP would remember the opposing points of the argument.

Unfortunately to do the above, you need an observer so you'd need a third party, camera, or really strong sense of self-observance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. :cool: I think I've finally decided as being an ENTP. I'm much more logical and analytical in my thinking instead of thinking with feeling. I also fit the description of both very well, but after looking closer I tend to go more towards ENTP. I guess I'm just one of those few ENTP people that actually do care about people's feelings and try not to hurt other people's feelings. I have to say I'm not an ENFP, because I'm very logical in my thinking and rely on my own self and thoughts for my logic instead of getting what I think is right from people around me. My feelings I think are more considerate of what other people talk about. I've also realized that I'm able to empathize with people, but not really sympathize which is what other ENTPs often say. I also like described above think about the opposing view more then the way things are said and can be fine after a huge argument. Thanks for all the help though it is appreciated :crazy:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah, there's kind of this stereotype out that ENTP's are cold and heartless, abrasive smartass debaters, oblivious to other people's feelings and thoughts that love to pull cruel practical jokes or poke cruelly at others and laugh at their target's suffering and humiliation etc. But its definitely not always the case.

ENTP's can be quite warm and caring towards people close to them, and can have a great deal of tact, knowing when its ok to joke and mess around and when its not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Me too! I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm ENTP with well-developed F, but there are definitely things in ENFP that ring a bell, and things in ENTP that don't. (Especially the thing about sick humor/horror movies/practical jokes. I empathize with the victims way too much for that stuff. I can't even play The Sims without getting upset. :p)

In the end, it might be more important to know that you're on the border between them than that you are definitely one or the other.

I do find this very true too, well at least for the developed ENTPs.
Tact is a survival skill for extroverts; I think it's harder earned in some cases than in others, though. :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts