Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So from those who know me better or for longer this is what they normally think? How often do any of you have this situation where if a certain emotion in you gets too strong it might take over your head or cause you to impulsively act/say something on it? This is true for how I might handle a situation if I'm dealing with those that would normally anger you, I might suddenly say something 'nasty' to the point of 'edgy' even if I don't intend to 'mean' it truely? If doing something then so forth its similar.

Say at first you might feel careful about making decisions normally, but when a certain emotion hits with one it makes you go "Alright I'm sure I will be choosing x".

Take for example if 2 groups are enemies with each other and you want to stay out of it normally like with all pointless conflicts they bring negativity, but someday one of the groups proves to be less good to you than the other or does bad to you. Then you might decide to go with the group that is their enemy.

In a conflict situation one time with a temporary online group when I met an extremely rude, arrogant and aggressive person unwilling to cooperate for a situation I 'lost it' then went off on them while they also insulted, whilst trying to magnify the seriousness by acting dramatically? Then when that did not work and they laughed or whatever I tried to apply 'collective discipline' to make them get their act together. And his friend having connections with the owner used it against me to make me lose the position given.

Afterwards when things have cooled down you might go like "Oh no, shouldn't have done/said that."

In a conflict situation I might control myself if a worrysome thought comes in of what it can lead to if I 'acted' on it more.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Oh @Defender of Light, I hear you!! This was the story of my life ... supress and re-work until I was tied up in knots with nowhere to go but BOOM!!

These days, I view anger as an alert that my self-protection mechanisms are failing. For me, anger is usually comprised of sadness and fear. When I feel angry enough to explode, I try to identify what I am sad about and what I fear ... I then own both as honestly as I possibly can. I acknowledge my anger, mourn my sadness and act to strengthen myself against my fear.

I am successful with this technique in real-time, face-to-face, but online is more difficult. I find it more difficult online because I am completely genuine, and so I assume that others are also being completely genuine. This is not always the case, and where I am usually able to identify untruths, half-truths and self-deception in others, irl ... online, I am missing a lot of cross-checking Si data (micro-expressions, body language etc). When I find out that they are not genuine, I feel betrayed and I am far more likely to do/say something to someone that I will regret when I feel betrayed. Betrayal is the one anger driving emotion that will send me straight into my shadow functions ... do mot pass go, do not collect $200. It makes me want to plot and scheme and ... just no!! I haven't found a fix for that one yet, beyond removing myself from the situation.

Currently, my intuition is trying to guide me down a path towards acknowledging that I need to work on my Se ... as in performing positive actions in the real world. I am going to listen to it, because, as scary as real-life may be ... it's gotta be better than beating myself up after I say stupid things online *sigh*

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh @Defender of Light, I hear you!! This was the story of my life ... supress and re-work until I was tied up in knots with nowhere to go but BOOM!!

These days, I view anger as an alert that my self-protection mechanisms are failing. For me, anger is usually comprised of sadness and fear. When I feel angry enough to explode, I try to identify what I am sad about and what I fear ... I then own both as honestly as I possibly can. I acknowledge my anger, mourn my sadness and act to strengthen myself against my fear.

I am successful with this technique in real-time, face-to-face, but online is more difficult. I find it more difficult online because I am completely genuine, and so I assume that others are also being completely genuine. This is not always the case, and where I am usually able to identify untruths, half-truths and self-deception in others, irl ... online, I am missing a lot of cross-checking Si data (micro-expressions, body language etc). When I find out that they are not genuine, I feel betrayed and I am far more likely to do/say something to someone that I will regret when I feel betrayed. Betrayal is the one anger driving emotion that will send me straight into my shadow functions ... do mot pass go, do not collect $200. It makes me want to plot and scheme and ... just no!! I haven't found a fix for that one yet, beyond removing myself from the situation.

Currently, my intuition is trying to guide me down a path towards acknowledging that I need to work on my Se ... as in performing positive actions in the real world. I am going to listen to it, because, as scary as real-life may be ... it's gotta be better than beating myself up after I say stupid things online *sigh*
I noticed it says you've retired just after you posted this ugh but I will reply still to contribute to this discussion, or if you get back someday.

Yes can say the same, especially if its betrayal. If I am angry against being insulted or face rudeness it might have something to do with sense of pride, honor or self-worth and the parts of that which make up what people call 'ego'. Or is it the same thing you mentioned, who knows?

Either way when the 'threat to security is no longer there' my 'anger goes away'. For example if I know somebody who has done wrong feels sorry for what they did then any of my remaining 'anger' against them would dissipate in any given situation. Is it something to do with being 6w5?

I mean somebody I discussed with theorized that alot of people in old times, especially peasants became hateful/angry of what they perceived to threaten their security and then launched viscous attacks or mobbings/lynchings of whom they perceive to be a threat. Entire groups of living things or people were targeted whom everybody feared to pose any level of threat, say when they thought the jews were causing 'plague' or that a person was a 'witch' cursing everybody in the village?

When I learnt cockroaches spread disease that could make you sick like flu which I've experienced, I got a fear of them and also an intense hate for cockroaches. When I was bitten by mosquitoes and suffered a very painful lump distant in the past I hated all of them. That is then where the "disgusting creatures, must be eliminated" thing came to play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts