Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I graduated almost 3 and a half years ago with a sociology degree and have been bouncing around since so I am returning to school. I want some advice from fellow 4's as to what would be more suited for me to pursue. I have been accepted to a pretty excellent art school that is ranked well in the country for product design. I also am considering going to get my Masters in counseling psychology because, after all, supposedly 4's are good at that stuff. I met with an advisor and talked about the program (Without anybody forcing me to just do it! proud). Anyways, with all my idealizing aside, what do you think would be smarter to pursue? My fantasy side is telling me that I will get the product design degree and work somewhere amazing designing bikes or furniture in sweden, so I have to ignore that and be realistic. Also, pursuing the masters has me struggling as I tear up when I am watching the news and something comes on that hits me, so I am worried I might not be able to handle it. What are your thoughts my lovely bunch of 4s?

·
Banned
956 Posts
If you believe that one side is a fantasy side, well then I'd start from there and weigh both options realistically in a way that you would most believe would satisfy you. This satisfaction has many parts as many different things adequately satisfies a person (money vs passion, etc.) A part of me wants to tell you to go with your gut and be open to every opportunity that comes with it. But I'm not sure either. Maybe try to think of it in terms of what most likely will happen instead of what could happen. Or both. I'm having difficulties myself, fluctuating between exploring my passions and going to school for psychology, the practical choice. So I'm on the same boat as you. I hope you get some better, more helpful responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi. i had a similar dilemma when i was in my 20s trying to decide between becoming a psychotherapist or pursuing graphic design. i figured that because i'd kind of had enough difficult things to deal with in my life i'd go the fun route and pursued design but didn't have a degree in it. in hindsight, i think i would have done better if i'd had formal training in design or pursued psychology as it comes a bit more naturally to me. i do tend to be like a therapist to my friends without even trying to be. while i know i have an artistic gift it tends to be a bit of a struggle to utilize it as i wasn't really raised in an environment where pursuing the arts was encouraged. what i'm trying to say is to consider which comes more naturally. if you think the psychology route may be more personally challenging then i'd at least consider that in your decision. strangely enough, it looks like i'm going to go back to school and become an art therapist. so, that may be something else to consider--somehow combining your two interests. good luck in whatever you end up pursuing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts