Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a month long slump recently and I found myself panicking and neurotic to the point where my mind is telling me to slow down. Everything I planned for this month went down the tube and now feel like a total failure. And then out of the blue, I just watched a movie where there was an intense emotional bonding between two people whose lives seemed beyond repair. After watching it, I realized how healing it can be to even live vicariously through other people's pain and subsequent redemption.

So fellow citizens of PC, after you've survived another day/month/year of living, how do you heal?

- Movies
- Music
- Talking with your cat
- Hot Baths
- Spiritual Experience
- Sabbaticals
- Skydiving

·
Registered
733 Posts
Venting to people who know what I'm talking about

Exercise when I can

Large amounts of food and chocolate

Watching good movies that actually have something to say.

Oh yeah, and getting attention from the opposite sex!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
- Spirituality

- Tapping into my intuition when I spend time alone

- TV

- Good food

- Lots of writing

- Creative independence... like researching on random stuff I feel like researching..

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
go for an adventure out of the area, usually to visit a friend or to attend a concert of jazz or something of the sort.

listening to music I can relate with.
Anything that helps me feel uplifting.
Being a little dark.
Drawing for fun. Y'know, embracing those hobbies a bit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
music for sure..

introspection, movies, friends, the gym. not an every day thing, but I have to get "outside" [camp, hike, etc] and do a certain number of things or I drift into the same slump.

and sometimes a hit of weed with a close pal can be an amazing thing :crazy:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Killing things on my game while listening to music
Walking while listening to music
Drumming
Laughing
Drawing
Playing and cuddling with my cat

Much as I want to, I still don't really talk to people about how I feel or troubles that may be happening, So trying to find something to compensate for it is hard sometimes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I know it more delays stuff rather than fixes it, but weed has been a very powerful stress reliever for me time and again. Of course I got my script so it doesn't stress me like it would others. But the biggest thing it has helped me with is overwhelming anger. When I get very angry and want to get violent (which I turn towards myself), smoking a few dank nuggets allows me to relax and watch cartoons. It has kept me out of trouble many times, and was a great help when I was constantly on edge and ready to do something self-destructive. I love you mary jane.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I know it more delays stuff rather than fixes it, but weed has been a very powerful stress reliever for me time and again. Of course I got my script so it doesn't stress me like it would others. But the biggest thing it has helped me with is overwhelming anger. When I get very angry and want to get violent (which I turn towards myself), smoking a few dank nuggets allows me to relax and watch cartoons. It has kept me out of trouble many times, and was a great help when I was constantly on edge and ready to do something self-destructive. I love you mary jane.
I've tired this a few times but all it ever did to me was make me REALLLY hungry. :mellow: One point I was fighting my friend for a bit of buttered bread.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
-Music, even if it's darker/emo at first. It'll slowly lead me back to my romantic side and then I'll be listening to love songs~ <3
- Watching a few reality shows. Educationally I gain nothing from it, but you try to understand each person there (whether you like them or hate them) then evaluate how they act to determine whether you were right.
- Helping others generally helps myself. Honestly, sometimes I don't want to work out my own kinks for a period of time and when I help others it gives me something to keep my mind busy until I am comfortable with focusing on my situation.
- Dating, some people need that special friend to talk to, but I like the idea of a special romantic partner. Naturally, this doesn't mean I just grab anyone, but I'd prefer to talk to a potential romantic interest.
- Exercise / mindless activity. Depends on the mood, sometimes throw in a few video games and I'm set. Otherwise, watch one of those old movies on my "watch" list that has been sitting there for years.

- Being spontaneous~, some random adventure somewhere. Usually it's to a park that takes a few hours to get to followed with some hiking.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Talking to someone who cares and understands. (Except right now, when the thing I am trying to heal from is the absence of that person.)

Listening to music in order to focus on what I am feeling with greater clarity. (This only works in combination with the first option.)

Doing abstract art about my feelings, if I have the energy for it. (How much energy I have for it depends on both the first and second option.)

So, yeah... none of the healthy coping methods are actually working right now. I'm sleeping a lot, masturbating a lot, eating a lot of chocolate, thinking about the imagined relief of non-existence, fantasizing about running off to a magical world full of people who care about me, and mostly just crying a lot with my arms wrapped around my own chest where a person should be.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think I rely on music the most. Whenever I don't feel good I turn on music that is appropriate for whatever I'm trying to gain from it. If I'm really pissed and need to let out a lot of emotion, I turn on really dark and hard rock. If I just need to relax and be peaceful, I might turn on some smooth jazz or contemporary instrumental type stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwgU3zDUc0

A lot of memories are tied to songs for me, so sometimes I also listen to music to re-live different experiences and emotions, even music I don't necessarily like but just remember hearing it at the time of the experience. I guess an example of this would be hearing some 90s techno-pop stuff and being reminded of me skating at roller rinks with my friends.

Cooking, watching action/comedy TV shows or movies, and writing are also helpful sometimes, but music is definitely my passion and it helps me deal with emotions the most.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Music first and foremost. It's rare for me to not have music going, even if I'm talking to someone. It tends to reflect my mood more so than to reflect the mood I want to be in. Scratch that, it always reflects my mood. Sad, happy, bouncy, upset, angry, broken, flying, in love, adventurous, contemplative... they've all got their own soundtracks or at the very least sounds. If I really need to express what it is that I'm feeling, then I used to play/sing to music, but all I really have now is singing. And even that is something I try not to torture the people around me with. I really need to find an instrument to play again.

Writing/thinking/processing is what I turn to /after/ I've turned on the music. Whether it's stream of consciousness or creative or just whinging/thinking, it all helps. Just doing something creative in general can help, but writing is the thing that is the thing that comes the easiest to me and tends not to frustrate me near half so much as drawing or painting or coloring or cross-stitch or card making or whatever other little things I've picked up and put down over the years.

Driving and going out into nature, preferably at night when the moon and stars are out. It's my best thinking time and way to reconnect with my spiritual side. It's hard to feel like everything is so bad when surrounded by so much beauty that just takes my breath away.

Helping others is another thing that I will try to do, especially when I would much rather not think about my problems or issues. There is something so very rewarding about knowing that you can still help someone else and maybe in helping them find a few solutions for yourself. You've given yourself time to let your mind process things at least. Plus, at least then I know I'm doing something good, and half the time my problems stem from me feeling useless and like I only make things worse. Tis a nice change of pace.

Reading, though that has more to do with escaping than actually helping. Funny enough, I don't think to watch movies or tv because I "see" so much when I'm reading and it forces my mind to be more active in thinking about what I'm doing rather than have everything placed before me in a relatively easy to digest form of entertainment.

Sleeping/dreaming, if I can dream at all. Again, this another form of escapism, but it's also nice to have a break if something has been so stressful as to be causing physical reactions.

Every once in a while I will talk things out with someone I trust, but that tends to be only after I have processed much of what has been going on in my head and I'm stuck. Usually it has to do with faulty thinking and sometimes I need someone else to more or less shake me or give me a kick in the ass to get moving and stop stalling and just do something.

And last but not least - Chocolate! My yummy savior from my troubles for at least a few moments. It also has a great side effect of releasing endorphins which then help my brain to be able to actually be able to start going over my troubles with something resembling a positive outlook.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I relate to a lot of the responses so far. My response here is a combination of things that I TRY to do to heal myself and things that actually heal me:

Piano/guitar composition: Sometimes I'm in such a sour mood that I refuse this option, but most of the time I will just find the moment that is right, and I will sit down at the piano (occasionally guitar, but I find it more frustrating), and my consciousness will melt over the keys as I relive the emotions of familiar melodic phrases I've created in the past, or I will gather together a new arrangement of notes like stars in the sky, forming constellations of sound that illustrate the themes of my existence. This usually succors my pain, and a process of healing begins, but sometimes frustration appears like a black hole, sucking in the constellations of emotional vibrations, leaving me feeling like I accomplished nothing. But just making sound accomplishes something, no matter how I feel afterwards.

Nature: One of the most effective soul salves that saves my soul from savage seiges. Nature is replete with metaphors of life for life, and when I am empty of distractions, my mind churns over the messages nature speaks through her material agents. Just the other day I was walking to my car only to notice these wonderful firey red leaves on a tree next to the driveway. I moved closer to inspect, and the leaves were many colors, radiating outward in gradient form from the stem base. The edges of the leaves were brown, then going inward it became red, orange, yellow, then green at the base and upwards along some of the thicker veins.

Immediately my mind was impressed with this life metaphor. Green is the color of life and healing, for it appears as the color of regeneration after the death of winter. When inspecting this leaf I realized that if we in our lives are to maintain life, vigor, and healing in our souls, and physically in our bodies, we should remain closest to the true sources of life-giving power. In this leaf, the strongest concentration of green was next to the main stem, but also along the veins radiating from the stem. To me, the stem represents God, the Source of life, and the veins being the gifts of God he has given to us in the world which contain the principles of life. So upon this meditation I learned that like this leaf, the closer I remain to my Source of life, the more healing I will receive. But if I pluck myself from this channel of living nutrients and try to live off of the gifts of the world alone, my soul will dry out.

Music/Movies: Depending on what I am listening to or watching, this method is either one of the least effective or most effective. My tendency is to leap off my Pillar of the Present Moment where I feel isolated and trapped, and reach out for one of the ropes that swings me into a period of the past, ushering me into total emotional immersion. Usually this nostalgia is so escapist that it does me very little good no matter how delightful it feels, because the feelings suggest that I stay in the safe and warm comforts of nostalgia, and resist the icy fingers of the future.

In other words, my feelings swell, but my maturity retracts. So I often choose songs or movies that correlate with certain time periods so that I can relive the very mindstate and sensations of those times. When I'm feeling down, I'm way more likely to pick music and movies I've experienced before, rather than find new ones.

What works better for my healing, though, is to listen to new music, usually classical, because since the nostalgia centers of my mind will not be swirling, my perception reaches out to handle and taste these new patterns of sound, revealing new horizons, and sharpening my mind, inspiring me. Movies, for the most part, are just bad for me, because I too easily lose my identity within them, and come out of the movie feeling like I'm one of the people in there, or I find I've adopted the attitude of the movie...and it weirds me out.

........There are other healing methods I employ, but these will suffice for now so that I don't make this post too long.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Doing yoga just for a few days in a row after I wake up puts me at ease and I can usually get through the day easier because of it, no matter what I'm going through.

And like many of you, music helps bring me up as well. A lot of times when I'm not feeling my greatest, I'll pop some headphones in my ears and walk my dog. The next thing I know, it's three hours later and nearly dark, and I've started to enjoy myself.

I'm also a big fan of chocolate and a nice, hot bubble bath :happy:

Oh yeah, and singing at the top of my lungs in my car brightens any day.

·
Registered
251 Posts
So, yeah... none of the healthy coping methods are actually working right now. I'm sleeping a lot, masturbating a lot, eating a lot of chocolate, thinking about the imagined relief of non-existence, fantasizing about running off to a magical world full of people who care about me, and mostly just crying a lot with my arms wrapped around my own chest where a person should be.
I really, really feel for you here. Most of my life has been just like that, too. If there's ever anything someone you barely know can do to help, please let me know.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hmm...I heal by escaping EVERYONE, or as much of everyone as I can escape. But I tend to enjoy:

-Music (playing/listening/"trying to compose" ^_^;;;)
-Candles are just plain relaxing.
-Nature is the place without pressure (unless you step on an ant pile)
-Reading is the ultimate escape.
-Cute, cuddly stuff that I can just hug all day is also a bonus. :D
-Feeding my sadness with poetry, music, and tears, only to feel lightened by the end of the day.
-Art, various types. However, I often have the picture in my head, and I always feel horridly incompetent when I see it on paper, blemished and unwanted.
-Photography, I don't feel the pressure, because it mainly depends on chance, some of it.
-Eating and sleeping ....makes me feel good. :laughing:
-Yoga. Although I suck at it. :)

·
Registered
15,664 Posts
1. I put a Band-aid over the boo-boo.

2. I let boo-boo heal via care, time & protection.

3. Healing completes.

4. I try to not make a sore or damage, in same place again.

....or I sprinkle some Laughter over place that needs healing, because Laughter is the Best medicine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts