Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I was diagnosed with depression, I've been hearing voices in my head telling me how worthless I am and all sorts of nasty stuff, sometimes it's like my own voice is telling me nasty stuff about myself, other times it's like someone else entirely.

What is going on and how can I stop this? Am I crazy?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
As long as you can identify they are within your head and are part of you, you are fine. Personally, I have different 'voices' for each part of me whether it be emotional, logical, or moral (technically, emotions has two, one for my emotions, and one for what is socially acceptable in the given situation). A theory is that it is that you have gained awareness of your own mind to the point that your decision make has slowed down enough to realize there is not one force at work making decisions for you.

Just realize there is more to you than just depression and that there are other sides to you....and it may be beneficial to let them take hold for a bit.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
First off, you're not worthless, and you're not crazy.
It's brave to reach out for advice, and managing with depression takes a lot of inner strength.
From a couple of sentences I can already tell you are a strong and brave person.

Sometimes voices can be unhelpful and disrespectful, which can interfere with your daily life and self esteem.
It's best to talk to a professional.
They can help you form strategies to deal with unwanted comments and nastiness.
They can also provide you with information on why the voices might be appearing, and what other options you can take so that the voice/s don't have control in your life.

Maybe you can talk to the person who diagnosed you with depression?
Or your doctor.
Maybe there is a family member or friend who can just listen, so that you don't feel alone or unsupported.
Sometimes it can be confusing and feel like there's no help or answers out there, but more often than not, they're just in a place you haven't thought of looking in yet.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I had that with my depression. I heard a really nasty voice badmouthing everyone and everything, myself included. It also tried to get me to do things, but I ignored it alot.
I found medication helped alot. I still hear noises that aren't there, but no voices or anything :)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you get pills with that diagnosis? If so, wean yourself the hell off them ASAP.
I've got medication, which was changed when it was making me literally suicidal, I'm now on different meds and that's when the voices started up ....... I'm kind of scared if I go back to the doctor I'll be classed insane and locked away ..........

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ShadowPlay is right! Talk to a professional. I think they only "lock away" ppl who are a danger to themselves or society so that's not your case.
U should really do whatever it takes to get healthy again! And try to be more optimistic! It really helps

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hearing Voices

Info including practical advice you may find it useful to help understand whats going on.

mentalhealth. org is a recommended medical site in the UK so the advice can be trusted.

Reactions: EbonyTigger

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got medication, which was changed when it was making me literally suicidal, I'm now on different meds and that's when the voices started up ....... I'm kind of scared if I go back to the doctor I'll be classed insane and locked away ..........
I am almost positive that your medication is causing your voices problem. You probably can't stop taking it cold turkey, but get yourself off it as fast as you can. Unfortunately, what very few doctors will tell you, but is a very real problem, is that anti-depressants can cause schizophrenia. Looks like that's what's happening to you. I've seen it before. I'm really sorry you're going through it.

Look for a shrink who does neurofeedback therapy. See if you can add exercise, healthy foods, sunlight, and happy friends into your life. Otherwise, if you just stick with your pills, things will get worse for you and may not ever get better. But things can definitely get better through other means.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am almost positive that your medication is causing your voices problem. You probably can't stop taking it cold turkey, but get yourself off it as fast as you can. Unfortunately, what very few doctors will tell you, but is a very real problem, is that anti-depressants can cause schizophrenia. Looks like that's what's happening to you. I've seen it before. I'm really sorry you're going through it.

Look for a shrink who does neurofeedback therapy. See if you can add exercise, healthy foods, sunlight, and happy friends into your life. Otherwise, if you just stick with your pills, things will get worse for you and may not ever get better. But things can definitely get better through other means.
@rescuecatsrule seek medical advice, although I'm sure Redwood is well meaning his advice is subjective. Hearing voices doesn't automatically mean schizophrenia. In fact its only a minority of cases that schizophrenia is diagnosed and that can be managed. You will not be classed as insane if you go back to the doctor. I agree exercise, healthy foods and sunlight will help but in some cases it is not enough, medication can make life easier its just a case of finding what works.

If you do anything read all the way through the link I sent you. It describes the varying experiences people have with hearing voices and how deal with them when they arise. It also explains the varying causes including what @Signify said and an explanation of schizophrenia. The more informed you are the easier it will be to deal with and make an informed decision about treatment. It WILL be ok.

Otherwise, if you just stick with your pills, things will get worse for you and may not ever get better. But things can definitely get better through other means.
@Redwood Not only is this advice just plain WRONG its subjective & quite frankly irresponsible.

@rescuecatsrule you will be fine, get informed from reliable medical sources that deal in facts . Seriously it put your mind at ease and enable you to make an informed decision. You're not the first person to experience this kind of thing and you won't be the last. The worst thing you can do is cope with this on your own. In the link I sent you there is information where you can contact other people who have had the same experiences. Seek professional medical advice. I'm sure its just a case of finding the right medication often a few have to be tried before you find what works.

·
Registered
136 Posts
seek medical advice, although I'm sure Redwood is well meaning his advice is subjective. Hearing voices doesn't automatically mean schizophrenia. In fact its only a minority of cases that schizophrenia is diagnosed and that can be managed.
You have no idea where I'm getting my advice from, so try not to assume my background, thanks. Nor did I actually diagnose schizophrenia. I'm hardly going to do that over a message board, for goodness sake. However, hallucinations are a typical hallmark of schizophrenia and auditory hallucinations are the most common. Also, schizophrenia as a result of anti-depressants is frequent enough for it to be a real concern in this case.

My point is that the medication he is taking now is very likely to be doing him harm. Regardless of any official diagnosis, hearing voices as a result of your medication is a bad thing. My second point is that I would first exhaust therapies without significant side-effect risks before embarking on the route of medications. It's a bit late for that, but certainly some things can be added in at this point and medications can, at the least, be altered.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Reactions: EbonyTigger

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
187 Posts
things will get worse for you and may not ever get better.
Its this I have a problem with.......not very reassuring.

I worked in mental health for 3 years and I'm 2 years into a psychology degree that I'm doing in my spare time. Without knowing the facts my advice is merely to get informed and seek professional help. You have given an account of YOUR subjective experience. I know your advice is coming from a good place but mental health is a delicate subject. Unless you know medical history and possible contributing factors jumping to a possible diagnosis can be needlessly worrying for the person involved.

Reactions: dilletante

·
Registered
183 Posts

I agree with the part about exercise, healthy foods, sunlight and happy friends....but the the stuff about medication is just bad advice. Anti-depressants cause Schizphrenia? I think this is complete bullshit. Depression is something that is serious and not to be taken lightly. If you don't like how the meds are affecting you, they can be changed and often it takes a couple of different tries or combinations to get it right. Don't worry about being locked away, they simply don't do that anymore unless you commit a serious crime. Many people have problems like this and the doctor will not judge you, they are trying to help you and I truly believe they can. I know with the right help, you can overcome this and be happy. BTW, I like rescue cats too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are taking medication than I think you should tell the doctor that gave you them they have strange side effects on you, if you are not taking medication then you should probably talk to a doctor about the voices. The voices may get worse and trust you are NOT worthless but if the voices keep on saying that pretty soon you will believe it. Along with seeing a doctor about it you could try to get counseling for that and your depression. If the voices are linked the medication for your depression its probably a good idea to get help to try and control them. I hope everything works out!

·
Registered
136 Posts
@Jojo354 To be honest, I hesitated when posting that sentence and I didn't like it, either. But I wanted to emphasise the urgency of doing something as soon as possible. I think that taking action swiftly is definitely the best course for her.

In any case, everyone's advice is from their experiences. That's what advice is. I don't really want to get into my offline life here, because I like the anonymity, but I've had quite a bit more experience in the psych field. But it's not a competition. We both want the best for the OP. I don't actually disagree with your opinion that she should see a professional. I just think that she should see a professional that is less medication-happy.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm on the waiting list for counselling but it'll take 3 months before they get me in to start counselling ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts