Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thype 6 - The Loyal Skeptic/Questioner/Doubter/Troubleshooter

“Lost” essential quality: Faith in self, others and the universe.

Compensating belief: The world is dangerous, threatening. People can’t be trusted. You must seek or defy security, avoid or face danger.

Attention/coping strategy: Becoming vigilant, questioning or doubting. Scanning for what can go wrong. Seeking certainty either by defying security and facing danger (the counter-phobic style) or by seeking security and avoiding danger (the phobic style).

Trap: Seeking certainty for which there is never enough proof.

Driving energy: Fear associated with all the possible dangers or hazards.

Avoidance: Becoming helpless and defenseless, avoided either by aligning with authority (the phobic style) or by defying it (the counter-phobic style).

Strengths: Spotting hazards, heightened intuition, loyalty, thoughtfulness.

Paradox: Seeking too much certainty in an uncertain world creates more uncertainty and anxiety.

Path of development:

Accept insecurity as part of life
Develop inner faith in self, others and the world
Recognize that both flight and fight are reactions to fear
Observe fear and calm it
Move ahead in spite of fear

Ultimate task: Reclaiming trust in yourself, others and the world, and living comfortably with uncertainty.

Source: http://www.enneagramworldwide.com/

·
MOTM January 2013
10,612 Posts
Paradox: Seeking too much certainty in an uncertain world creates more uncertainty and anxiety.

Ultimate task: Reclaiming trust in yourself, others and the world, and living comfortably with uncertainty.
There is so much truth in this. It's not until things get thrown into catastrophe that I suddenly remember how much I have clung to security and well there are no certainties to that, I may have created a trap in saying that in a way, like having expectations on attachment when really I should remind myself that freak accidents do happen. But that's just a loop because thats asserting certainty once again. I don't know. I don't how to solve this dilemma.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
I just bought Palmer's "Understanding Yourself and Others" this morning. So far I like her introduction chapters. She's describing how ego defenses (buffers) and personas (false personalities) affects everyone and we must move past them. It's actually close to what I've been saying/thinking as a typer.

It's going to take me a while to get through the book. I might skip to the 6 chapter though :wink:

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like it. Where did you get this from @Rim?
Enneagram | The Enneagram Test | Enneagram Worldwide

Imo it is one of the best sites on the enneagram so far. The instinctual descriptions here are really awesome as well. I recommend checking it out.

Example:

Type 6: Strength/beauty(one to one/sexual)

Having power and influence in the one-to-one domain with significant others counteracts your fear. It is safer to manifest power and influence with strength and beauty, appealing qualities that are less likely to create adversarial reactions than raw power moves. Instead of craving reassurance, it comes to you through strength and beauty. Knowing that you affect those close or important to you through your brilliant ideas and physical ability provides assurance. Aesthetic qualities (creating beauty in your environment) and attractiveness command allegiance from others, as do intellectual strength, including fiercely held ideological positions and physical fitness, strength and bravery. Your fear evaporates when you obtain the respect of associates or a mate. While the preoccupation with strength and beauty in one-to-one relating is more common for counter-phobics (because it is more congruent with the coping style), it is more obvious in phobics because it stands out more against a general lack in courage or self-confidence. At your worst, you can become possessed with the need to influence others, and evoke reactions by testing and challenging others.

There is so much truth in this. It's not until things get thrown into catastrophe that I suddenly remember how much I have clung to security and well there are no certainties to that, I may have created a trap in saying that in a way, like having expectations on attachment when really I should remind myself that freak accidents do happen. But that's just a loop because thats asserting certainty once again. I don't know. I don't how to solve this dilemma.
^^; for me the most truth lies in this one, I think @Paradigm can confirm this:

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I am planning on taking Palmer's Enneagram workshops. She's one of my favourite Enneagram teachers. She speaks with confidence, has a very comprehensive knowledge of the types, and she's very no-nonsense. She's actually a cp6w5 herself, so she doesn't make the RH mistake of infusing descriptions with a phobic SJ bias. Her other descriptions are also fairly well-rounded. The Narrative tradition has intrigued me for a while.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
I agree with most of that, especially the Trap. It's like I want an ultimate source of certain of information that is always right.

My coping style is more like a 7's or a 9's... although I guess I do those because I'm fearful of the world, so I escape into in/activity.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
@Kito I just noticed you now type as 6w7. I'll have to browse your typing thread for details;) :D
Is this a common ritual for newly typed 6s? :tongue:

Reactions: Sina

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Very succinct. Accurate, sure. I was hoping for something more expansive though when I opened this thread. Love the description of the sx variant though. I clearly need to look more towards Palmer.

Though... I wonder what exactly it means to build up one's strength and beauty. I have always attempted to infuse strength tinto my life, even as a timid, little child. Beauty? Well, always by my own standards. I also think it was less important to me as a teenager when I was just trying to get by. Though, I guess I am kind of vain now, very style-obsessed even with my lack of money and thus purchasing power. I have always been obsessed with aesthetics though. They're very important to me.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
I've been meaning to do this for a while... Alas, I haven't read the 6 chapter yet, so I'm going to just go off the OP.

I find parts of this wildly hard to relate to, while other parts I can't help but admit to. That's, of course, disregarding my hatred of one-liners; I think that's part of the problem, that this is a weird mash-up of one-liners while still being descriptive, so my head can't really decide on whether to like or hate it.

“Lost” essential quality: Faith in self, others and the universe.
My gut reaction is a "no." My rational reaction is, "well, probably, yeah." I don't like "faith" being used to describe type 6's integration, to be honest. It has vast religious overtones to me, along with a blind obedience connotation. Perhaps I'm just weird? Once I think about the meaning and how I have experienced the concept, I get it, but I really think that's too much work for something that's supposed to sum up types--especially if newcomers are to read it and have similar issues with the wording.

Compensating belief: The world is dangerous, threatening. People can’t be trusted. You must seek or defy security, avoid or face danger.
This sounds too paranoid to me. Way too paranoid. I'm not actually sure what they're going for here, conceptually, in regards to "compensating belief," so I'm having issues coming up with an alternative. One might say this is biased towards 6w5...
Obviously I relate to it, but that doesn't mean I don't have issues with it xD

Attention/coping strategy: Becoming vigilant, questioning or doubting. Scanning for what can go wrong. Seeking certainty either by defying security and facing danger (the counter-phobic style) or by seeking security and avoiding danger (the phobic style).
I'm not very good at being vigilant, too busy being in my head :p This fits, overall, though I wish there were more healthier options. I rationalize my anxiety, for example.

Truth.

Driving energy: Fear associated with all the possible dangers or hazards.
This just... isn't very descriptive at all. And again sounds paranoid.

Avoidance: Becoming helpless and defenseless, avoided either by aligning with authority (the phobic style) or by defying it (the counter-phobic style).
I don't like this one much. It's too either/or. I mean, it starts out great--always lovely to have someone notice the independence of 6s--but everything after the comma is just disappointing. Like, I'm a phobic, but even I can't truly wrap my head around being independent while reliant on authority.
(At least, I hope it's a way of phrasing independence.)

Strengths: Spotting hazards, heightened intuition, loyalty, thoughtfulness.
Um... Sure, okay! >_> (Intuition isn't actually something I readily admit to, people think my hazard-spotting is paranoid, and loyalty can go too far.)

Again, truth. I could see this being more 6w7 in general, though.

Path of development:
Accept insecurity as part of life
Develop inner faith in self, others and the world
Recognize that both flight and fight are reactions to fear
Observe fear and calm it
Move ahead in spite of fear
1. Done with anxiety, partly with insecurity.
2. Working on it.
3. Done.
4. Lolz done by far.
5. This I have a hard time with.

This is better than the first line, and kinda seems like a rewording (as does the two "uncertainty" lines). "Trust" is easier to understand than "faith," I think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts