Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Cross-posting this from reddit for more input on what my type possibly is:)

The predicted types:
  • 16personalities typed me as INFJ
  • somewhere else (I forgot) typed me as INFP

About me:
  • I personally identified with INFP, but am back to being confused after being unable to "step into a friend's shoes". Plus, I am not a book-reader, which seems to be a commonality among INFPs AND INFJs
  • I think I might be an unhealthy XXXX type...
  • I am a listener, and I tend not to initiate conversations.
  • The strange thing is that I am okay initiating small talks with strangers but not so okay to do the same with acquaintances (friends of friends or people I've met a few times due to context).
  • I find it difficult to maintain conversations, even with close friends. I would like to go into more intimate conversations, but I cannot seem to do so unless the other person initiates (an INFJ friend usually initiates, and I'm always appreciative of her and at the same time wondering how I can do the same)
  • I am in my head a lot, I seem to zone out even when my friends are talking (and I feel guilty for doing so T_T)
  • Since elementary school I have always been good at Math and Science, but not the languages/humanities.
  • I always liked hands-on experiments, understanding how things work scientifically
  • But I changed major from Engineering to Sociology as I find humans more complicated and would like to look into the social (on hindsight I probably should have gone Psychology). Didn't do as well in Sociology as I did in Engineering, but I really enjoyed the novel sociological perspective and have no regrets taking the switch.
  • I don't read books much. I watch a lot of dramas. I used to watch one drama a week on average, and I tend to binge-watch dramas till late (and then regret when I can't wake up for class) favourite drama genre: romcom lol
  • my upsets are mostly attributed to social relationships, e.g. when I don't see eye to eye with a friend or family, when I feel misunderstood by my parents, when I couldn't step into my friend's shoes... conversely, I feel pleased when I can step into my friend's shoes and understand where she's coming from
  • I am told I am not very practical (especially by my parents who think my switch to Sociology was absolutely impractical)
  • I've been working as a financial planner for 2 months and am already thinking of switching. The thing that compel me to switching is: a lack of stability (commission-based). I've been dissuaded using reasoning such as "commission-based can also provide stability if you just work hard". Yet, as I personally think some of the competitor's products are actually more beneficial to the clients, I feel guilty if I were to sell the "less beneficial" (imo) products.
  • this repulsion towards acting against my unconscious values (don't even know where these values come from...) stops me from doing things, just because "it doesn't feel right", and it's so frustrating as my parents think I'm just lazy and coming up with excuses not to go to work. (I sometimes question myself too as to whether I'm actually just secretly lazy)
  • I make plans. New Year Resolution, monthly plans, daily plans... I imagine a future and plan for that. It has been like this since I was like 8 years old? I would imagine my own house, and the furniture I would need, list them all down for "future reference".
  • I make plans, but I usually don't follow through. It is to the extent that I would put a lot more "to-dos" so that i would get some done but never everything done. More "to-dos" also means that I can choose from a few more activities what I want to do, depending on my mood. New Year Resolution never seems to be fulfilled.
  • I am the early starter for term papers though. Unlike my peers, I usually finish a few days before the deadline so I have time to check and vet.
  • I don't work well under pressure. Pressure triggers panic for me.
  • I need some routine, but I also need some spontaneity. Sometimes, when a friend asks to meet the very next day, I might push back some plans to go ahead and meet her.

I hope that's enough information, not too sure what's relevant and what's not. Apologies if there's too much irrelevant info to read through! Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
* reserved for questionnaire * brb!

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
may be considerably stressful time, i'm looking for a new job. female, 23, current state of mind: chill.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
https:// farm5.staticflickr.com/4612/24898612317_e4f63ae650_k.jpg
preeeEEETTTYYY!! the stars are so pretty, texture of the sand placed in contrast with the dotted sky is a great combination. is it "photoshopped"? in any case, the colour contrast is amazing! where is this place? love the uneven colors of the rocks.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
initial thoughts: ?!?!?!????! what just happened?
outward reactions: eyes widen, looks around at the other people to observe their reaction (whether they know what happened/whether they're equally in shock)

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
depending on how much i trust the person's words, i might feel okay to go along (if i know that person will keep his words to not drink) or feel suspicious but still probably go along.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
again, depending on who i am with, if i am still not comfortable with them, my inward reaction would be rebutting his claim, and in more serious clashes, judging the person for his claim, but i would not say anything.
With the closer friends I am confident of not feeling judged by them/confident of being able to hold differing opinions without damaging our friendship, i would share my opinion openly.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
feel helpless and the desire to make a change

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
Love: "Spread Love, Not Hate"; I ended up with this value as I arrived at the conclusion that much of the fights/war we see today is due to hatred and misunderstanding spreading.
Understanding/Judgement: Likewise, I think withholding judgement as important (even though I fail at it myself sometimes), because people have different perspectives and that is how misunderstandings arise
Equality: I tend to be attracted to the "underdogs" (in my eyes - i know this is subjective...), feeling very strongly that fairer treatment should be employed. e.g. i would more likely support the lgbt movement in a state with the majority disapproving of it.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) nothing and everything at the same time ??? i guess i feel very self-centered at times, as i tend to be more inward looking (like now) in the attempt to improve myself as a person
b) yes, i think i would want to not be so focused on the inner self, as i feel like I am in a loop with no end or improvement (it's like asking a confused person for a solution that is equally confusing and becoming even more confused)

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
follow it. my gut told me sociology was more my thing than engineering, so i switched. my gut is not saying I should leave my financial planning job, so I am intending to leave quite soon.
They are most often triggered when my unconscious values get infringed upon, I guess. e.g. my line of work being too earnings-focused rather than client-benefiting.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) the sense of emotional connection with another person (finding someone with similar taste, or being able to understand each other), a beautiful scenery, seeing someone I like happy
b) arguments (knowing that the debate leads nowhere, but refusing to budge, and then feel all drained out because of it), spending too much time with people i feel uncomfortable with and pretending to be comfortable

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
speaking my own opinions, and not showing any sign of dislike even when I actually don't like it. I guess I do not want to offend others...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
From the first post I can say that I recognize a lot from myself. My gut response is INFJ but that's based on recognition of specific things you said rather than a thorough analysis of your post. I might make time to do a real analysis of some things later.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiiii hangajimal~

https://www.idrlabs.com/test/infp-or-infj.php

Perhaps this will help out? :unsure:

I am getting INFP vibes myself though!

a) nothing and everything at the same time ??? i guess i feel very self-centered at times, as i tend to be more inward looking (like now) in the attempt to improve myself as a person
b) yes, i think i would want to not be so focused on the inner self, as i feel like I am in a loop with no end or improvement (it's like asking a confused person for a solution that is equally confusing and becoming even more confused)
Looks like INFP-T to me! Did you take the 16personalities test?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like INFP-T to me! Did you take the 16personalities test?
Yep, I did! Got INFJ from 16personalities.

I have doubts about whether I am really a Feeler and iNtuitive type, is it possible that I might unconsciously be a Thinking type (considering my strengths in Math and Science) or Sensory type?

Since I'm not too certain about how to discern the other functions, the only certainty I can tell is that I am definitely Introverted. Would love to know how to discern intuition/sensory, perceiving/judging and maybe thinking/feeling too!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
How about when you're younger, did you have a lot of "ah-ha" moments, "I told you so" moments, things where you just knew what was going to happen later on and it came true?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about when you're younger, did you have a lot of "ah-ha" moments, "I told you so" moments, things where you just knew what was going to happen later on and it came true?
Rather than "ah-ha" moments, I did have a lot of deja-vu moments, where I only realize I've seen the scene before, after it happens in front of me.

·
Electronica Wizard
6,687 Posts
Why do you think so?
From your initial description you're possibly sitting on the fence between INFJ and INFP. There are both INFJ and INFP in there, but what got my attention the most is your strong sense of moral code that is similar to an Fi. When your inner values get infringed upon, it affects you. You can't be motivated to do something unless it means something for your values and beliefs. Fe rarely do that.. You might possibly have enneagram 9w1 too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From your initial description you're possibly sitting on the fence between INFJ and INFP. There are both INFJ and INFP in there, but what got my attention the most is your strong sense of moral code that is similar to an Fi. When your inner values get infringed upon, it affects you. You can't be motivated to do something unless it means something for your values and beliefs. Fe rarely do that.. You might possibly have enneagram 9w1 too.
Thanks for the insight!! I just took the enneagram test and got 4w5, does that help in the MBTI typing?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
please elaborate? :)
Based on what you have provided I see very little that points to INFP. And what that very little is also able to be directed to other possible outcomes.
Based on what you have stated so far I am slightly going with Sensor over Intuition . Your questionnaire leaned more to S over N from start to finish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Based on what you have provided I see very little that points to INFP. And what that very little is also able to be directed to other possible outcomes.
Based on what you have stated so far I am slightly going with Sensor over Intuition . Your questionnaire leaned more to S over N from start to finish.
That's interesting, could you explain how you saw S over N? Genuinely curious, as I can't seem to spot their difference besides S being logical while N being impractical (is this even correct...)

Also, what's your guess?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yep, I did! Got INFJ from 16personalities.

I have doubts about whether I am really a Feeler and iNtuitive type, is it possible that I might unconsciously be a Thinking type (considering my strengths in Math and Science) or Sensory type?

Since I'm not too certain about how to discern the other functions, the only certainty I can tell is that I am definitely Introverted. Would love to know how to discern intuition/sensory, perceiving/judging and maybe thinking/feeling too!
intuition over sensory means you are into abstract, concepts and theories,the invisible realm, kind of like a 3rd eye also so to speak, or a 6th sense. Intuition types have Ni or Ne in dom (first) or aux (secondary) position in the order of the cognitive function stack of the person.

Sensors are into the 5 senses, what they see, touch, hear, smell, taste. Si or Se will be in dom or aux position.

If you are dom Si, then you have Ne in your main 4 function stack. Si has to work with the other perceiving function but in the opposite extroverted position as Si is an introverted function.

If you are dom Se, then you have Ni in your main stack.

Si and Se is 5 senses, taste, touch, smell, hear, see.

Si will use memory of how to react, think or do something in the 5 senses.

Se will use spontanity in the present moment of here and now of what is presented or expected to react, think or do something in the 5 senses.

Si is more slow moving than Se, Se moves quickly.

Ni is the abstract theoretical 6th sense so to speak, the invisible realm, not the 5 senses. Ni works with Se.

Ne is the abstact theoretical 6th sense too but the difference with Ni and Ne is that Ni is subjective, inside, and introverted function that is triggered from inside. Ne is an extroverted function that is triggered from outside sources.

Ne perceives info by thinking of all sorts of different endless possibilities something could be and doesn't like to make decisions or conclusions but rather keep building more and more endless possibilities. They say it's like a how a christmas tree lights up is like how a Ne brain lights up, that would be Ne dom, and somewhat strong for Ne aux as well, not so much when it reaches 3rd and inferior (4th) position, then in dom and aux at that point would be Si or Se which dominates and overrides mostly.

Ni is an introverted function quietly subconsciously perceiving info by automatically throwing out info that is not necessary and pulling together in a cohesive manner to form one cohesive concept.

It has been explained at times that Ne is like the Supernova exploding star into many parts, and Ni is like the Nebula drawing many parts in and forming one star.

I'm out of time, sorry, but would be happy to come back soon if you would like to chat more about functions.

As for what type you are, whew, i did read through everyone's comments as well as all you are saying too, and it's a bit tough. Seems like Fi is strong, but then seems like Ni is there, but then that would be ISFP, but alot of things seem to point more to INFP and yes there are some INFJ things as well. You like to make emotional connections, so i don't think you are a T.

I'm an INFP but i'm not a stereo type in some things. None of us can be a perfect stereo type, there will be things of other types we will find in our selves.

I was good at math in school, but i wasn't into science. I think the math came from Te. I think science comes from Ni, and engineering too comes from Ni.

At that point i would say ISFP. But i'm really not sure, it would take more info from you to continue on to try to figure it out.

You do seem Fi dom though.

Hopefully you'll figure it out, but remember no one is a perfect stereotype of their type, there is differences in the same type, but will have a similarity but with some differences.

Anymore questions just keep asking, you'll figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks @mountaintop for the clear explanation!!

Si will use memory of how to react, think or do something in the 5 senses.

Se will use spontanity in the present moment of here and now of what is presented or expected to react, think or do something in the 5 senses.

Si is more slow moving than Se, Se moves quickly.
Based on this description, I would say I am probably more Si. I tend to meet with situations where I think "how should i react?", feeling out of place if I don't know have any memory/experience of an appropriate reaction. This is more Si than Se, right?

It has been explained at times that Ne is like the Supernova exploding star into many parts, and Ni is like the Nebula drawing many parts in and forming one star.
The iNtuition function is tricky though. Like you said, it seems I have Ni. but that would mean that it should be Se > Si?

With both Ni and Si at play, assuming I am an unhealthy personality type (i.e. stuck in a loop), is it possible that I am an INFP (Fi-Ne-Si-Te) with a weak Ne function and so disguised like an Ni, or that I am an ISFP (Fi-Se-Ni-Te) with a weak Se function and so disguised like an Si? Is it possible for the 4 other non-functions to emerge even though they are not in the main stack?

I'm out of time, sorry, but would be happy to come back soon if you would like to chat more about functions.
Thank you for taking your time to comment!:) It really helped me with figuring out the S/N situation with more clarity, as well as determining Fi dom!

At that point i would say ISFP. But i'm really not sure, it would take more info from you to continue on to try to figure it out.
What other info would be required? I'd be more than willing to provide if you could help me out a little further:)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Without going over every single thing that points to S over N, to me. I will take a easy-ish example from where you described a picture.

"preeeEEETTTYYY!! the stars are so pretty, texture of the sand placed in contrast with the dotted sky is a great combination. is it "photoshopped"? in any case, the colour contrast is amazing! where is this place? love the uneven colors of the rocks."

You went from comparing the difference between the sand and the sky in how the contrast was different but yet made a great combination.
You made a comment about wondering if it is photoshopped, where is the place (if its real). Then went right back to the contrast of the picture but this time about the uneven colored rocks.

You stayed focused on the actual picture it self even when you became curious about the place in the picture you still went right back to how the combination of contrast and colors made this picture so pretty.

This to me shows Sensing thru n thru

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks @mountaintop for the clear explanation!!

Based on this description, I would say I am probably more Si. I tend to meet with situations where I think "how should i react?", feeling out of place if I don't know have any memory/experience of an appropriate reaction. This is more Si than Se, right?
Dom and Aux Si will be different from tert and inferior which are weaker, however when a person has an inferior eruption the inferior for that moment takes the dom position, but it behaves in an immature manner as compared to a person who has that function as their dom naturally. Like inferior Se when in an eruption becomes the dom, but behaves immature with Se than a Se dom naturally behaves skillfully with their Se dom function. And if the person has Si or Se in tert or inferior, then it means they have Ni or Ne in their dom or aux which mostly dominates and overrides the tert and inferior. So tert Si or inferior Si, or tert Se or inferior Se, are not as much and skillfully used as the dom and aux of the person. So all those things must be taken into consideration as well.

Ok, for example, let's an INFP, Fi dom, aux Ne, tert Si, inf Te. Fi is the king of the stack and impulsively rules automatically as all dom functions rule impulsively and automatically. Ne is aux, the ruling perceiving function of the function stack. F and T are judging functions, N and S are perceiving functions. N and S gather info and run it through F and T who judges the info gathered. The function stack, has the main 4 out of 8 of the cog functions, 4 cog functions are introverted, 4 extroverted, 2 S, 2 N, 2 T, 2 F. The main function stack has 2 intro and 2 extro functions and 1 S, 1 N, 1 T, 1 F. The last 4 of the 8 are shadows of each of the main 4.

If dom is judging F or T, aux is perceiving S or N. The dom and aux derive the whole rest of the function stack.
Also if dom is introverted, aux is extroverted. likewise tert would be the opposite of inferior also as far as intro or extro and as far as F/T judging or S/N perceiving. But whatever dom and aux is automatically depicts what tert and inferior and the 4 shadows are.

INFP Fi Ne Si Te
Fi is dom, so Te is inferior, as dom is the same judging or perceiving category as inferior, but in the opposite of that category and in the opposite intro/ extro order. Fi dom = Te inferior, Fe dom = Ti inferior, Se dom = Ni inferior, Ne dom = Si inferior, and so on.
So with INFP Fi Ne Si Te, Fi is judging and intro, so aux has to be perceiving and extro, which for INFP is Ne, for ISFP is Se.
So looking at INFP function stack as that's the one here i'm using as the example, Fi dom Ne aux now automatically depicts the rest of the function stack.
Fi means shadow Fe which would be 5th place, Ne aux means tert Si, tert Si means inf Te as Fi dom means inferior Te, it's all connected. 6th and shadow of Aux is Ni, 7th and shadow of tert is Se (very very weak), devilish and 8th (basically non-existent) is Ti.
Whatever the dom is the 8th/devilish/shadow of inferior is the same category of judging or perceiving but the opposite one, if F then T, if T then F, and the same intro or extro as dom, if dom intro, devilish intro. So dom wipes out devilish and that's why it pretty much is non-existent in the cognitive functioning/processing, King dom rules rules the Kingdom! :) and it would be a threat to it's Kingship to have the devilish which is the same judging or perceiving category in the same intro or extro order trying to have it's say, so the devilish is basically non existent in the cognitive processing.

Ti dom = Fe inferior = Fi devilish
Fi dom = Te inferior = Ti deviish
Te dom = Fi inferior = Fe devilish
Fe dom = Ti inferior = Te devilish
Si dom = Ne inferior = Ni devilish
Ni dom = Se inferior = Si devilish
Se dom = Ni inferior = Ne devilish
Ne dom = Si inferior = Se devilish

And there are 2 of each of those doms that makes for the 16 personality types.
So for INFP it's dom Fi aux Ne, for ISFP it's dom Fi aux Se and so on with all the types orders of function stacks.

So the 8th is the demonic/devilish function that is basically null and void and non-existent, and the 7th is very very weak also. The 5th and 6th because they are shadows of the dom and aux, they can show up sometimes and used in the cognitive processing, but dom and aux will mostly dominate and override those.

Another way to view figuring out personality type is by reading about what the inferior function eruption looks like of each dom type, and also by finding out which function you cannot relate to what the description of it means, that will usually point out your 8th devilish/demonic function. 2 of each dom type share the same inferior eruption, like INFP Fi dom Ne aux, shares a very similar inferior eruption as ISFP Fi dom Se aux, because both are dom Fi with inferior Te, however an INFP will have some influence of Si with their Te eruption, and an ISFP will have some influence of Ni with their Te eruption, so there will be slight differences, but on a whole similar styles of eruption, like both Fi doms are going to erupt in a volcanic blow out of the blue much to the shock of their audience whoever their audience is at that time. Te doms are very powerful leaders in the world, the ESTJ and the ENTJ and they can be very rude with what they say and very bullyish to who they are leading because they are the top of the line extroverted logical thinkers, they are very domineering and overpowering over people.

So for INFP and ISFP with both Te inferior eruptions, they can seem in a eruption like a hostile domineering immature disfuntional ESTJ or ENTJ! Yes the sweet little INFP's and ISFP's that's what they become in eruption that's why it's such a shock to their audience. And an ESTJ and ENTJ as domineering, logical and powerful leaders as they are, when in eruption become like a pathetic immature disfunctional INFP, it's funny to watch, my Dad is an ESTJ so i see that up close in my life, and it's quite funny because they are such the logical leaders who everyone else is wrong or foolish to disagree with but when in eruption they become so helpless and pitying themself. In INFP and ISFP inferior Te eruption we become like mad rulers for the moment and everyone else is wrong or foolish, but they become helpless with self pity, lol :) Don't get me wrong, when my Dad goes into those eruptions i don't take advantage of him, depending on what the topic is that is causing his eruption, depends on what i'll say to him, but as a die hard INFP that i am, i don't like to see anyone hurting, so when i say it's funny to watch, i mean it's so different from how they normally are as such strong domineering sometimes rude and harsh leaders, that it's amazing they can switch to helpless self pity victims. But i know he'll snap out of it, so sometimes i don't feel sorry for him because most of the times he's going to be a strong domineering sometimes harsh and rude leader, so i don't feel too sorry when he's in an inferior eruption episode.

Also Fi doms Te inferior in inferior eruption will try to organize stuff to feel good again and regain balance. Te dom inferor Fi eruptions have to try to analyze and figure out values and morals to feel good again and regain balance. Something like that. There is much to read from authors on inferior eruptions, especially Naomi Quenk. Some of her stuff and others is posted here on PerC, mostly by a past member called Liquid Light. He was very kind and helpful to type out alot of that info and post it here. Look up the sticky threads in each of the 16 personality type forums on here, most have it, if not, just look for the other dom type you're looking for and it should be in their forum, as 2 doms share the same dom type and inferior function.

Here is the link for INFP/ISFP Fi dom Te inferior
Here is the link for INFJ/INTJ Ni dom Se inferior

See if you relate? (ok, can't post links yet til 15 posts, so go to INFP and INFJ forum, look through the Sticky Threads or Articles at top of forum page, look for "Recognizing the inferior function" posted by Liquid Light, you should be able to find it that way.

The iNtuition function is tricky though. Like you said, it seems I have Ni. but that would mean that it should be Se > Si?

With both Ni and Si at play, assuming I am an unhealthy personality type (i.e. stuck in a loop), is it possible that I am an INFP (Fi-Ne-Si-Te) with a weak Ne function and so disguised like an Ni, or that I am an ISFP (Fi-Se-Ni-Te) with a weak Se function and so disguised like an Si? Is it possible for the 4 other non-functions to emerge even though they are not in the main stack?

Thank you for taking your time to comment!:) It really helped me with figuring out the S/N situation with more clarity, as well as determining Fi dom!

What other info would be required? I'd be more than willing to provide if you could help me out a little further:)
I could pick from your answers INFJ, INFP, ISFP, so i can't say for sure yet what i think you are? And yes loops cause dilemnas as well, but mostly you're still going to show ways of your dom personality no matter loops, like the Dom/Tert loop.

Like @myjazz says you show Se in your answer to the picture, i noticed that too from the first time i read your answer, the textures and constrasting colors, it's usally Se users that speak that language, Se as in Se dom or Se aux. Remember dom and aux differs to tert and inferior positions of how the person uses that function. Inferior is more indicative of a person's type than tert, because inferior eruptions make that inferior function come to the top of the function stack temporarily as the dominant ruler in that moment.

But there were other things you said too in your answers that give impressions of INFP or INFJ, so it would be good to discuss and research more to figure out your type.

So, i would say read up the inferior functions on the types and see what you relate to and let us know? :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts