Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decide to write something nice for thinkers since I've been dominating a feeler's forum a lot lately thus I want to expand my horizon a bit (electronically) haha.

Anyway, I believe that people are deep even when they think they're 'over rationalizing', I do not subscribe to a belief that depth is only associated with abstract creativity. (Not that I'm implying logic should counter creativity or vice versa) I know you might tell me that depth is a highly subjective term, thus this may sound vague, but hear me out.

I believe that we should open our eyes to notice the depth in little things, when we feel the need to connect more with our lives. At times when we want to get more in touch with the Thinker side of our personalities, it stems from a place of sincere curiosity which is deep itself. Your drive to find logically conclusions and solutions that are meant to bring strict order can be proof itself that you are deep.

Being a thinker does not mean you cannot be as deep as a feeler, because all of us have dreams that we long to see manifest in reality. We search for meanings, identities, peace in our dreams, though we communicate and drive on our journeys differently. Thus, we are deep regardless of our personality types and we should not disregard the value of our most important experiences just to fit versions that might not fit who we really are at our cores.

Just something random for the day :) Hello there!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thanks Izzie and I agree Thinkers can be just as deep or deeper ( it all depends on the individual) then Feelers, its just that we express out 'deepness' in different ways. And frankly I see 'over rationalizing' as a sign that one is going too deep, not that one is not deep.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hello back atcha!

Haha, I was just thinking of a most trenchant response but sadly I now realize that I won't be breaking out of my INTP mold in delivering it to you. Sadly, I simply cannot understand the emotional depths you can experience as a feeler. I don't know what that's like and if I could find a way to situate myself behind the eyes of a feeler to listen to some of my rants and see what that's actually like I'd do it in a second for a matter of perspective. I try to be more sensitive, and I apologize a lot preemptively when I start rants, but now I'm digressing a bit.

I don't think that thinking always cuts deeper. Numerous times playing live poker (in person poker) I've made snap calls on feelings and they've never been wrong, it's something subconscious that I lack the emotional development to express in words the way I want to.

Embrace what your maker gave ya. You won't find a snob in me (not to say I think you were implying it, I'm just off in INTP land right now, which is somewhere between Jack Nicholson's asshole and a melting glacier :confused:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Nice post. I think there's feeler-depth and thinker-depth. The only difference is the degree to which one is moved or affected by it. Like, both could appreciate the interconnectedness of all people, or the beauties of nature, or marvels of simple things, but feelers might be more inclined to adjust their behavior in response. Thinkers might just take it as fact and move on. I guess you could argue that being unmoved by deep revelations is not depth at all, but I think it's still mostly the same.

(If that made any sense at all.)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have both depth and empathy. And I can feel sadness for "the world" and such "feeler-things". But I dont let it cloud my judgement when I make decisions. I (as thinker) believe that the logical decision that benefits most (or the "right") people is the correct one. Therefore I can even feel sorry for those that will be effected by my own decisions..... but still make them if it is the right one.

That probably is the essensce of T and F differences. And what is "depth" ? As tough a question as the one about what "intelligence" is....

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
My depth comes from my introverted intuition, it's not directed towards the concrete that my extroverted thinking is.

Our introverted functions are what give us depth, how much depth is there in the outer world? Exactly.

But sure, thanks anyway.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I have both depth and empathy. And I can feel sadness for "the world" and such "feeler-things". But I dont let it cloud my judgement when I make decisions. I (as thinker) believe that the logical decision that benefits most (or the "right") people is the correct one. Therefore I can even feel sorry for those that will be effected by my own decisions..... but still make them if it is the right one.

That probably is the essence of T and F differences. And what is "depth" ? As tough a question as the one about what "intelligence" is....
This.

And indeed, I also have to wonder what she means by "depth". I get the feeling it's not related to T/F-ness. People have told me I am a very "deep" person and often look forward to visiting me so they can have "deep discussions". I think they mean my supposedly profound insights on life, which can very much be got from T (look at the "Schopenhauer cure" and philosophical therapy). I mean, look at how many NT's were philosophers! Look at the sayings of Einstein!

I know she meant well by the post, and I really do appreciate her goodwill, but she seems to have a (sadly rather common) F misconception that T's are just "problem solvers" interested in the how alone and not the why. Perhaps many Thinkers are indeed like this, but that could not be any farther from describing me...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Looking back on the original post, I do feel sort of bad. It's clear you (as you said) were off in NF land for a while where T's are "the other" and not interested in "deep" things. I hope you will not come off with horrible ideas about us because you got somewhat prickly reception from me when you tried to do something nice for us. As I mentioned, it was nothing personal against you: it's just well, no one likes to be thought of as "shallow".:wink: I know your point was that T's are NOT shallow, but so blithely acting as if this was a conclusion people would obviously come to sort of touched a raw nerve in me. Honestly, your post was quite touching and it is good to see that not all F's have this conception of T's. :)

PS. I also found it interesting to note that you have a very STJ notion of what thinking is, or at least a TJ one. This is very unsurprising; I have noticed that a lot of Fi-users seem to have this conception of T's. It is certainly understandable; your shadow functions are those of the ISTJ, so I could see you associating the "bringing order" tendency with T's in general. It does not offend me because you clearly do not see it as a bad thing.:happy: But not all T's can relate to the Si-Te drive to "bring order", especially NTP's.

PPS. I think it is also fair to add that many things F's regard as deep T's tend to see (perhaps wrongly) as "quackery". I find these differences are exacerbated in N's. Like an NF might see New Agey stuff (for lack of a better term) as deep and a NT would see it as nonsense; the F sees the T's reaction and believes he/she is "blind" and the T looks at the F's interest and sees it as "stupid". Both think the other is deluded. So if this is what you mean, that is a whole other kettle of fish and merits a much longer discussion.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find that Thinkers' investments in understanding how the world works through more organized and rationalised processes demonstrate depth and enrichment.

I only like the Thinkers who are polite and considerate though. Honestly I can't stand the ones who act elitist. Elitism to me is a root to a lot of destruction and it impedes wisdom.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It seems like everyone except the thinkers assume the thinkers have no emotions. We have them; they are just illogical and get in the way of the truth. I think you'll find that many of the thinkers get VERY passionate about many things.

You want depth? Is the universe infinite? If not what's at the end? If there's something at the end isn't that more universe? Now that's deep!

Reactions: Hermes

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You can't know what you've never had. I've had good feelings from understanding things, but how can I know without feeling what others feel?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It seems like everyone except the thinkers assume the thinkers have no emotions. We have them; they are just illogical and get in the way of the truth. I think you'll find that many of the thinkers get VERY passionate about many things.

You want depth? Is the universe infinite? If not what's at the end? If there's something at the end isn't that more universe? Now that's deep!
You are right about the emotional fires deep inside every "thinker". And also, about the end of the universe: If you travel along the inside of an expanding bubble, where is the start and the end? (dimensional simplification, sorry)

·
Registered
673 Posts
You are right about the emotional fires deep inside every "thinker". And also, about the end of the universe: If you travel along the inside of an expanding bubble, where is the start and the end? (dimensional simplification, sorry)
This should probably go into its own thread and I apologize to the OP but, there is an inside and an outside to any sphere, so what's outside the bubble?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
This should probably go into its own thread and I apologize to the OP but, there is an inside and an outside to any sphere, so what's outside the bubble?
That, friend, is a dimensional question...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts