Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m new, and I love reading and learning about MBTI. I’ve always had difficulties figuring out my type, so I hoped someone here would maybe be able to help me.

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

No mental illness I know of. I’m quite conflicted about a few relationship-related things though, I don’t know how relevant that is. I’m 21 and female.

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?

This is really difficult for me, I hate having to decide. When I see the first one I just want to walk there, alone, feet touching the water. It feels cold and refreshing.
When I see the second one I feel calm and relaxed. I can see myself sitting there, writing something or talking to a friend.

This is probably not very useful but I can’t decide.

3. Please describe yourself as a person if you were to introduce yourself to someone else like in a cover letter. What kind of person are you and why?

I see myself as a generally kind and helpful person. When I see someone is having difficulties, I step up to help them out (if I’m able to gather enough courage, that is). I really enjoy helping out and caring for other people, and it makes me very happy when they do the same for me.

I’m loyal, calm and patient most of the time. Around friends and family I throw around sarcasm like confetti and am generally very open and quite talkative, but I like sitting in comfortable silence, too.

I like discussing various topics; arguing and trying to convince others of the points I make can be fun once in a while. I prefer to do this in writing rather than face-to-face conversations though.

I’m thoughtful and tend to overthink everything. It’s maddening and drives me crazy sometimes. I’m also very indecisive.

I hate saying the wrong thing and hurting someone in the process. I think a lot about how others perceive me. I want to be accepted for who I am; criticism about my personality will make me feel inferior and guilty.

I hate being ignored, be it intentionally or not - it hurts and I can (and probably will) get jealous if I feel left out of a conversation taking place between my friends. Feeling loved and appreciated is very important to me.

It takes a while for me to show when I’m angry. I get aggravated and angry quietly for myself, most of the time. The next stage is venting to someone. The last stage is asserting myself and addressing the person I’m angry at directly. I will not shout (most of the time) but I will give them a piece of mind in a more or less polite way. A friend of mine once said: “If even she gets angry, someone must’ve fucked up really bad.”

4. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?

I would like to be a person others can depend on and look up to. I wish to be someone trustworthy, because the feeling of being someone that can be trusted is awesome. Also, I’d love to be more organized, but I can’t get my messy tendencies under control.

I would not like to be excessively conservative, ignorant and/or aggressive, because such people aggravate me to no end.

5. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?

Others have described me as: calm, patient and balanced.

I mostly agree with those descriptions, but I think I’m not as balanced as people might perceive me. My emotions can fluctuate (not violently, mind you, but I’m not perfect harmony all of the time). The thing is: I try not to show 'negative' emotions (sadness) in public. I will bite it down, lock myself in my room and cry. After that I’ll face the world as if it never happened.

Sometimes, random little things will annoy the hell out of me, without a good reason (certain voices, for example). I might tell people when I’m annoyed to explain my short answers, or I might just leave and calm down in my room.

6. What in life do you find to be of importance? Why? If you are unsure you can always take the Value Test and post the results here. Do note that it helps if you narrow it down to 20 or ideally 10 values as suggested at stage 2.

I think it’s important to have a healthy dose of respect and tolerance. Other people should not be treated unfairly based on any prejudices a person might have. Live and let live.

I don’t like it when people take their mood out on random people. Having a bad day does not mean being a dick is suddenly okay. I don’t mean you’re not allowed to show sadness or anger, but treating others with respect is still kinda important.

Don’t tell other people how to live their life. Don’t tell other people how they should dress or what they should like.

I find it important to surround yourself with things you love and are passionate about.

7. How do you react to new situations in your life? Can you describe an event in your life where you were in an unknown situation? How did you deal with it?

That’s a difficult question. I guess I’d go to someone more experienced for guidance/help. I’m sorry, I can’t answer that in detail right now.

8. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I cry.

When I was writing the basic concept for my thesis a few years ago, I got a rather bad feedback and had to do it over – about one or two days before the deadline. Cue the stress.
On the way home I already felt that dreaded lump in my throat. When I finally got home I vented to my mom for a while, went upstairs and just broke down in tears. I was not physically able to handle the stress.

Someone who calms me down in these situations is god sent.

After the crying I just get to work like a maniac.

9. Please describe yourself when you are in an enjoyable situation. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

Again, that’s a difficult question, because I find it hard to pinpoint an exact situation. I think I’m just lighthearted and maybe more bubbly? I might get a little more daring and crazy.

10. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?

I like one-on-one interaction more than group interaction. It’s not that I hate group interaction, I just like it less and it’s generally more tiring and annoying depending on the people. I like it if it’s quiet.

11. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?

As already said above, I value respectfulness and tolerance, so I guess I do value at least some social norms like saying ‘thank you’ and ‘please’. It just shows I appreciate what others do for me. I think day-to-day life would be hard and exhausting if there weren't any social norms at all.

Then there are social norms I could do without, like the polite speech in my mother tongue, for example. I think we should be allowed to address all people the same way, no matter their social standing. We're all worth the same, after all.

Values and principles are important, too. Certain values are integral to any society and any individual. You can learn a lot about a person by looking at their values. I think it's important not to hold other people to standards you yourself can't hold, though.

I tend to look at certain things and say: "Yeah, I'd do that and that, just as a matter of principle." Even if the outcome would not change drastically. There's just things I'd do on principle.

Traditions (family traditions, mainly) are important to me personally, but I really don’t care if others find them important. It’s important to pass them down as to not lose them, but if you don’t want to participate, perfectly fine. You do you.

I tend to look at people as individuals, mostly.

There's this famous question: 'A train is heading for two people, you can change its direction so it only hits one person. What do you do?'

My opinion on that? Why should the suffering of one person be less that the suffering of two persons? It's just as horrible and traumatising for that one person as it is for the other two. The individual experience is the same, having more people experience it does not make it worse for each individual.

Of course this opinion might waver if the scales are higher.

12. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?

I don’t have a problem with authority at all, but I do expect a person in a position of authority to behave in a certain way. What I mean by that is: They should respect the persons who follow their lead, they should follow their own rules and they should be organized and dependable.

If they don’t do any of the above, they don’t have my respect as an authority figure (which does not erase my respect for them as a person).

13. Describe your relationship to order and chaos. What do order and chaos mean to you? How do they manifest in your daily life?

I don’t really get this question, it’s so open.
I like orderliness, but I myself am messy as all hell. I hate being messy, but I can’t help it most of the time. I lose and forget things frequently.

I like a certain routine in day-to-day life. I’m not very spontaneous.

14. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?

I fear not being able to live the life I want to live. I fear missing out on a lot of stuff because I’m not as active as other people my age are.

‘You should go out more, all young people do it.’
‘Your young only once, go enjoy life.'

And then I might actually go out to party twice a year just to realize how much I don’t like going out to party. So there’s that.

Also, I have a strong fear of death - my own and the death of my loved ones. I don’t believe in a lif after death, so I try not to think about it as much anymore.

15. What is it that you desire in life? What do you strive to achieve? Why? Where do you think these drives and desires stem from or are inspired by?

I desire a life I won’t regret. I know that’s a broad answer, but that’s the gist of it. I don’t know where life will take me, but I want to enjoy it. I strive to experience things I’ve not experienced yet, and I definitely want to keep in contact with family and friends.

I think my desire to live a fulfilling life might actually stem from the fear of what would be if I wouldn’t live a fulfilling life. Does that make sense at all?

16. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Time for myself energizes me: reading, writing, drawing, watching TV… It’s difficult to say why exactly they energize me, but I like being by myself and enjoying quiet hobbies.

Loud places and commotion drain me.

I’m pretty sure I’m introverted. It’s the only thing I’m really sure about.

17. Why do you want to know your type? What type do you think you are? Why this/these type(s)? Is there a type that appeals to you, to your self-perception, that you would like to be? Why? If you know your enneagram, please post this here. If you have done any online function tests such as the Keys2Cognition, it helps if you post these results here as well.

I want to know my type because MBTI interests me. I always tested as INFP but felt there was something off about it. Like, this exaggerated fixation on individuality and being true to oneself didn’t resonate with me all that much. But than again Fe didn't resonate with me completely wither. I'm pretty conflicted about Fi-Fe.

I don’t have a type I’d like to be, I’m just interested what people come up with.

18. Finally, is there something else you find to be of importance you want to add about yourself you think might be of relevance when helping to type you?

It took me AGES to fill this out. Not because it’s too long, but because I overthink.

I hope that was elaborate enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ISFJ. Definitely Fe over Fi. Si would be your dominant function which might explain why you're not 100% sold on Fe. It's there but not your leading function. You have Ne but lower Ne. This was head-to-toe Si dom. :D I adore ISFJ/ESFJ types! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for helping me out, I appreciate it!

I’m actually a bit surprised it’s that apparent to you that I’m an ISFJ. I would be interested to know what made you think so, if you don’t mind elaborating a bit? I'm really curious! Just don't feel obligated to write more if you don't want to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts