Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had no time to write you a short letter, so I wrote you a long one instead.
-Mark Twain

Hi!

During the past weeks I have spent quite some time browsing through the internet, making tests and so on to find out which personality type I belong to. I have made several tests; both here, Briggs Myers and some other.

The pattern that was clearly shown is that I am most likely an E. After doing approximately a handful of tests I feel like it's 50/50, I'm either ESTP or ENTP. Is this possible? Eventhough I find these two types quite different I can recognize my qualities in both of them.

My qualities both good and bad:

- I never got good grades in school. (I always thought I'd get higher grades than I actually did)

- My favourite subject was mainly sports and languages. In highschool those were still my strongest subjects, but also psychology and social studies.

- I have many acquaintances and friends and I think I'm quite appreciated among them.

- When I am alone for too long (12h) or so I start to get bad thoughts about things and I almost get into a depression mode.

- When in a company of friends only I am quite visible.. When I'm in a mixed crowd I try to stick to the ones I know best. But I like talking to strangers if they approach me first.

- I'm definately not the alpha-male type.

- I am very tolerant, adaptable and easy to be around.

- In unexpected, urgent situations I am the fastest to make the right decisions and give the right advice.

- I like gambling and I occasionally suggest it both against friends and strangers. (sports, poker, pool, "dares"...)

- I am a good loser in the aspect that I often respect my superior if he beats me in my game.

- I easily find and use my opponents weaknesses.

- I LOVE being the underdog. It happens that I pretend to be weaker to surprise people.

- I am very aware of manners and how to act in all sorts different occasions.

- I believe I have a talent to read peoples' expressions and body language.

- I have good memory for details, and memory in general and very observant

- Glamorous, elegant, expensive things attract me a lot.

- I dislike being bound to people or to plans. (Including relationships, which I never tried though)

- I love stretching the rules and limits and I am a bit unscrupulous.

- I have big plans for the future and I am very optimistic when it comes to anything.

- I have many ideas but very few are put into practice.

- I am often quite lazy.

- I am disturbed when people don't agree with me and I do all I can to change their minds. And I succeed.

- In general I dislike surprises.

- I'm bright and ingenius.

- I am good at motivating others, but I only motivate my closest ones.

- I resist being controlled by people.

- I dislike scheduals and working in routines.

- Sometimes I can be quite hard on others, but seldom on myself.

- It takes a lot for me to trust other people.

- My sense of humor is often dirty.

- When browsing on funny things on youtube I never laugh, but the smallest detail in general can make me burst out into laughter.

- I value knowledge and I prefer talking about intellectual topics.

- I can be very prejudgemental and it's hard to change my mind.

- It's hard for me to control my temptations.

I realised I was right about this was going to be a wall of text.

EDIT: If there's any important part that is needed to clarify which type I belong to, please write it down!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Reactions: sonofman

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Gut says ESTP.

I think you definitely come across more so as a reactionary extrovert (EXXP) as opposed to an implementing extravert (EXXJ)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
My theory is that you are an ENFP so I find it interesting that you like ESTP or ENTP.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Yes look into ExFP also. F-types value cooperation and spending time with people is important to them. About 20% of guys test as F. T-types value competition and extraverted T-types may not necessarily like spending time with people and going to parties, but instead go out to stores to shop for gadgets or interact with people to learn something new from them or go out and do sporty stuff with other people. But people are not a necessary component in their extraversion as it is for F-type extraverts. About 80% of guys test T-type. It is not that F-types don't like competition at all but in most cases they prefer to be nice and fair to others and not compete (these are known as nice guys). They will also find one-upping each other in conversation more distasteful than F-types.

Difference between being Se or Ne dominant:
Se looks for new physical experiences - humor type tends to be more physical
Ne looks for new conceptual experiences - humor type tends to be more conceptual
ENTPs as such on average are more geeky than ESTPs. If there is an ESTP trying to impress me he will often try to do something weird or noteworthy physically as way of catching attention. If there is an ENTP trying to impress me he will place emphasis on trying to make witty remarks, tell me about what books he read/films he watched, basically try to impress by his breadth of conceptual knowledge rather than breadth of physical ability.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don't think there is conclusive evidence to say you are one way or the other.

The N type thinks conceptual and the S is more detail oriented: theory versus data.

Using an example, when you watch a movie, do you just see the characters, the storyline, the quotes, or do you tend to notice patterns and symbolism? For example, was the Matrix about a world dominated by robots and a rebel human force fighting for freedom, or was it about the philosophy of reality and packed to the brim with symbolism (on dreams and religious references)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm gonna say ESTP. One major thing that hit me for the N or S part is that you said that when you are alone for too long, that you start to have bad thoughts. Obviously when you are alone you start to go into your shadow function, for ESTP it would be INFJ. Basically this side is one that your Introverted and alone, also you become and Intuitive like and think too much. My sister is an ISTP and when she gets depressed she thinks too much and all that. Your other things are quite obvious with the being bound and having many acquaintances. Also Sensors are great with details and recalling them, also Sensors love or usually love sports, poker, etc. I'm not saying that you are 100% guaranteed it but are very likely. Consider also the functions, also you probably have a high N as S as well.

ESTP Personality Types
ENTP Personality Types

1 - 9 of 9 Posts