Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Um... I don't really remember. I was called back into one of the rooms at my GP. The nurse walked in and found me as a sobbing mess. It felt like the whole room was swirling around me, and that the chair I was sitting in grew spidery legs and was about to start walking around.

All I think I said was "I have anxiety problems" and the doctor knew what to do from there. Expect to be asked a few questions, and possibly even fill out a questionnaire. The best of luck to you.

EDIT: ok that probably wasn't helpful at all

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I had been seeing a therapist for a while and anxiety and depression were some things we discussed and worked on. After thinking to myself for a year or two that I should just talk to a doctor about this and see what they think, I finally brought this up to my therapist who happened to know a PA that works at my doctor's office, and had met with years prior to seeing her for this, and I finally made the appointment. I feel so silly looking back to the anxiety that was holding me back. It also helped me to realize that there is nothing wrong with what I am doing, which is sincerely trying to improve the daily life from feelings that had been filtering my life and preventing me from fully living. I also think it's important to be honest with your doctor, and since I usually freeze up at regular office visits of any sort, and forget the things I am actually concerned about regarding my health, it helped to have a specific appointment for it. My actual words that I said to my doctor, I'm pretty sure I imagined different ways of saying it for nights and nights before hand, but when the moment came, I just said what I was thinking and feeling, I told her I felt unsure how to describe my anxiety, and explained what me and my therapist had discussed and different (natural, i.e. running, breathing exercises, personal mantra type stuff, etc.) methods I had been implementing in my life. It wasn't as much of a judgmental event that I thought it would be, it actually felt really good to finally share this with an educated physician and have an open conversation about it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've known for well more than a decade and still haven't told a doctor. I have hoped anytime i've gone in for something unrelated one of them would notice and say something but it has never happened.

i've tried self-medicating throughout the years. Results weren't favorable. I Don't advise it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I've known for well more than a decade and still haven't told a doctor. I have hoped anytime i've gone in for something unrelated one of them would notice and say something but it has never happened.

i've tried self-medicating throughout the years. Results weren't favorable. I Don't advise it.
I did the same, and then one day, the doctor noticed. We had a chat, was much easier to tell him after he noticed. Then did a couple of tests, spoke about options available..... and went from there really.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Anxiety is definitely one of the less stigmatizing mental illnesses to have. While some doctors will still be jerks about it, most won't be. If you already know your doctor, chances are they probably aren't jerks and will just help you through the anxiety.

I think that if you just bring up the anxiety - however you think would be appropriate, I'm not even sure what type of doctor you're referring to starting this conversation with - they will know what to do. My psychologist told me I had anxiety when I first came in, and, while I was so unsure of that (because to me my anxiety isn't abnormal... It's just how I navigate my life, it's so natural to me now), really seeing all my anxious behavior and working through it is helping me significantly. I can dream of a day when I'm not the tremulous, soft spoken girl I am now... and that's something I could never, ever even fathom before. I hope your anxiety isn't that extreme, but I also hope that you are provided whatever help you need to work through whatever type of anxiety you have.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
425 Posts
My anxiety was being forced to do things I did not want to do. There is a root cause to everyone's anxiety. Family, friends, spouses, work, personal freedoms, etc. Find out what you are really missing in your life.

Mine was working for the man. Once I let that go and started working for myself, I got a whole new anxiety. I made about half what I had made in a year, but I was more satisfied with the work. Eventually the money evened out and now I'm happy. People with anxiety never truly get rid of it. It still rears its ugly head at times.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
They told me I would never get rid of my neurological disorders either, but I have, through learning how to control my mind. I personally believe I can work through my anxiety. Of course I will always be prone to having anxiety, but I fully believe I can figure out how to control my anxiety and eventually live with minimal distress from it. (And my psychologist believes this as well.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.