Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on the test (and yes, I know tests are bad!), I'll come out as either ENFP or INFP. I've been reassured that I'm an ENFP many times by many different people, but I just can't help but wonder...

My fi and ne seem tied for first, though I'm fairly sure I'm a ne dom by just a little bit. As for te and si, I'm not really sure. I show signs of having inferior both.

In real life, I'm quiet and reserved - this is due to social anxiety though, I actually hate being this way! I've always fantasized about becoming more outgoing, having an extensive and large circle of friends and a highly active social life. People who don't know me well will type me as an introvert, but my close friends, an extrovert. I guess that says a lot, but I've noticed that I do show some INFP traits, so I'm just wondering!

Rather than providing you with a large paragraph, I'll just list some points and traits I have of both types. (I never usually make lists but I don't want to bore you guys with too much - I have a habit of going overboard when talking about myself. :laughing:

ENFP
- energized and thrives off of social interaction, gets lonely easily, but also requires time alone though not necessarily to "recharge"
- easily bored, can be impulsive, disorganized, starts projects but doesn't finish them, adhd traits but definitely not actually having adhd
- largely excited by new, interesting ideas but bored with details and actual implications of plans
- has a way with words
- very empathetic, in tune with others emotions, but will occasionally say something without thinking that may be considered rude. Emphasis on occasionally, I don't do this often at all, almost never. Sometimes though I speak without thinking.
- very focused on people. I could easily say that my life revolves around people.
- my enneagram is either 4w3 or 7, which I know are very common among ENFPs
- never wanting to settle down just in case a better opportunity arises
- have a tendency to flirt with people (when social anxiety doesn't get in the way lol)
- fairly smiley. I've been told that I look "shy", but also that I tend to smile a lot, rather than having a resting bitchface.
- strong desire for attention that used to go overboard at times. Displayed "borderline" traits when I was a younger teenager, you could say.

INFP
- reserved and quiet - but that's because of social anxiety just like I said before. I may "appear" like an INFP but I don't know if this counts because I absolutely loathe being this way.
- sensitive, empathetic, almost overly so
- very, very talented writer. Not to toot my own horn. Although, I don't really enjoy writing that much, only in the form of roleplaying or writing with another person. Solitary writing is kind of boring to me, I just can't do it, I don't see a point of it isn't shared with another person.
- artistic
- spiritual. Not religious, but I've always had that sense of spirituality and being in touch with my "soul", ever since I was young.
- very into social justice.
- tendency to push and blame my problems onto other people
- a fan of anime, which is apparently an infp thing?? not exclusively of course
- nostalgic
- always empathizing with the underdog
- tendency to brood over problems

I'm content with alone time, but even when I'm alone, I like to be texting or chatting with friends online. An hour or two without any contact with someone and I start to feel a bit depressed. When push comes to shove I guess I'd call myself an ambivert, but I just don't know!

A little bit about my ne, too: it's very evident in me. If you're friends with me you won't go a day without hearing one of my whacky "what ifs", spawned by my surroundings and how my intuitive brain likes to play with them. When I'm bored, I like to imagine what would happen if certain things in the environment changed, etc. In video games, I love to explore every possibility, interconnections, changes I can make. I'm optimistic but when upset can become very pessimistic, though my view on life is not cynical. I'm always losing things, constantly spawning new ideas, becoming distracted by even newer, better ones...

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
656 Posts
'E'. ENTP and ENFP always come up for the most introverted extrovert. But I think ENFP can be slightly more introverted because Fi doesn't need other people like Fe.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
You seem overwhelmingly extraverted.

This video is a bit convoluted, but it tries to explain introversion/extraversion from Jung's point of view. Jung invented (or at least popularized) these ideas, so I think what he has to say about them is the most relevant and worth listening to . . .

Extraversion is chiefly concerned with the world external to the subject.

Introversion is chiefly concerned with its own subjective experience.

The video tries to steer clear of giving specific examples because it doesn't want to bias the viewer, but you can see where the modern day ideas of introversion (quiet) and extraversion (very social) come from--they stem from these ideas of "inside world" vs "outside world."

When you engage in social interaction, you are of course engaging in the outside world. The objective world. This is an extraverted activity.

When you are alone, you have much less external stimulation and have to make up your own fun via the subjective world. This can be very hard for extraverts--and they tend to get bored or depressed when they have to spend too much time away from their precious external stimulation. (and of course the opposite is true for introverts).

When you are alone, you rely a lot on your imagination and upon reflection to invent entertainment for yourself. This is very subjective and delves into the realm of introversion. Which is why you like being with your cell phone 24/7--so that you don't ever have delve into this world of introversion for too long.

But of course extraversion and introversion are not limited to social interaction. Anything outside the subject can be interpreted objectively, as anything outside the subject is objective.

And introversion can still subsist in highly objective environments; the subject need simply to inject its own subjective experience into what it's doing.

[hr][/hr]
Habits of extraverts that I have noticed throughout my years on this Earth :)) :

1. Cling to their cell phones like they are security blankets. They are super-glued to their hands. Receive constant external stimulation this way. Like the cell phone is an IV sustaining their life. They cannot part with it.

2. Before they go somewhere with their friends, they want to know what their friends are going to wear so that they can coordinate or whatever (lol sorry I'm trying not to sound biased).

3. They prefer group activities to solo activities.

4. If they are alone, they have to turn the TV on or music on or something to drown out the silence. The silence makes them depressed. They need constant external stimulation.

5. Tend to be pretty bad listeners. Would rather talk than listen.

6. More prone to being diagnosed with AD(H)D.

7. Tend to be less focused and more easily distractable.

8. Tend to be high energy.

9. Tend to be more accommodating of others. Less interested in pursuing their own personal whims but rather more interested in going along with others.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
you seem ENFP rather than INFP. INFP and ENFP do share some of the same ways, but you are much more Ne and extroverted with more ways of the ENFP than the ways of an INFP. And INFP's don't need to be on their cel phone when alone, they can spend alot of alone time. Si is the inferior function of ENFP, so that would make you withdraw and reflect and can feel pessimistic when stressed/upset.

Here is the inferior function eruptions in Fi doms / Te inferior (INFP & ENFP) and Ne doms / Si inferior (ENFP & ENTP).

This will show what you relate to more when upset/stressed. Inferior Te can get in raging outbursts when upset/stressed, whereas inferior Si will withdraw and reflect on past things and can be pessimistic.

http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/76803-recognizing-inferior-function-enfps.html

http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/19838-form-inferior-ifp.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You seem overwhelmingly extraverted.

This video is a bit convoluted, but it tries to explain introversion/extraversion from Jung's point of view. Jung invented (or at least popularized) these ideas, so I think what he has to say about them is the most relevant and worth listening to . . .

Extraversion is chiefly concerned with the world external to the subject.

Introversion is chiefly concerned with its own subjective experience.

The video tries to steer clear of giving specific examples because it doesn't want to bias the viewer, but you can see where the modern day ideas of introversion (quiet) and extraversion (very social) come from--they stem from these ideas of "inside world" vs "outside world."

When you engage in social interaction, you are of course engaging in the outside world. The objective world. This is an extraverted activity.

When you are alone, you have much less external stimulation and have to make up your own fun via the subjective world. This can be very hard for extraverts--and they tend to get bored or depressed when they have to spend too much time away from their precious external stimulation. (and of course the opposite is true for introverts).

When you are alone, you rely a lot on your imagination and upon reflection to invent entertainment for yourself. This is very subjective and delves into the realm of introversion. Which is why you like being with your cell phone 24/7--so that you don't ever have delve into this world of introversion for too long.

But of course extraversion and introversion are not limited to social interaction. Anything outside the subject can be interpreted objectively, as anything outside the subject is objective.

And introversion can still subsist in highly objective environments; the subject need simply to inject its own subjective experience into what it's doing.

[hr][/hr]
Habits of extraverts that I have noticed throughout my years on this Earth :)) :

1. Cling to their cell phones like they are security blankets. They are super-glued to their hands. Receive constant external stimulation this way. Like the cell phone is an IV sustaining their life. They cannot part with it.

2. Before they go somewhere with their friends, they want to know what their friends are going to wear so that they can coordinate or whatever (lol sorry I'm trying not to sound biased).

3. They prefer group activities to solo activities.

4. If they are alone, they have to turn the TV on or music on or something to drown out the silence. The silence makes them depressed. They need constant external stimulation.

5. Tend to be pretty bad listeners. Would rather talk than listen.

6. More prone to being diagnosed with AD(H)D.

7. Tend to be less focused and more easily distractable.

8. Tend to be high energy.

9. Tend to be more accommodating of others. Less interested in pursuing their own personal whims but rather more interested in going along with others.
Ooh, this makes me feel much more sure of my type. My cell phone is literally my life line, I always have it with me and in classes where I don't really have any friends that I sit with I'm constantly on it. I once forgot it at home and cried lol

I definitely prefer group activities, and while I can be a good listener I might zone out or get antsy if it's too much. I tend to interrupt people sometimes, because I usually have 5654 different conversation topics bouncing around in my head and if I get excited about something I might just blurt it right out. :p

And the rest applies to me pretty well too.

To the last poster, though, hm...

I can relate to both. Sometimes when I'm upset, I'll just fall into a few hours of depression, lay around and not really contact anyone while feeling like I have nothing ahead of me in life. Other times, usually when a series of things happens that really sets me off, I'll have a semi-meltdown and push it all onto my friends. That doesn't happen a lot though, I usually just withdraw.

Thanks guys. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts