Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom is an ENFJ, and I'm an INFP. It's so hard to describe in words, how greatly me and her differ. All I ask for from others is to explain to me a way, in which I can tell her in a peaceful manner that she cannot change my personality, into what she see's fit. I'm not saying that ENFJs, and INFPs can't get along. It may have nothing to do with our personalities, as we share iNtuition and Feeling.

She always bugs me, and says that I should hang out with my friends more often. She teases me, and calls me names such as "bookworm" and the likes of such. She says that my dreams will never be fullfilled, and that I can't be a good artist. It displeases me grealty, but she treats it as a joke, and doesn't think of it much. I'm just wondering of ways to confront her, and explain to her that she should stop. She wants me to be more like her, and she expects only the best from me.

So, can any of you give me ideas or phrases that will give me a moment to talk to her, and that will catch her attention, so she can listen to me? She always seems to ignore my feelings, and will go on about how she is right whenever I confront her. :crying:

Reactions: 20111017

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,335 Posts
awwww! I wish I could help, but I really don't know how to deal with people like that either. Does she know about personality types? Maybe if you can get into a discussion of them with her it could help her to see differences as acceptible, rather than right and wrong. I know that made a difference for me with my mom.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I think you should have a heart to heart with her. There is a potential for Fi / Fe clash especially in paternal relationships.

ENFJ's however are very considerate and giving once they can be convinced of something. But we don't like being outright blamed for being responsible for hurting/harming someone else's feelings.

Take some time out on one of her better days and when you're also feeling fine and just try to help her understand the differences between INFP's and ENFJ's. You'll have to convince her that being introverted doesn't mean that you're alone because your unhappy, but because being by yourself actually makes you happier. ENFJ's are inherent mentors, therefore they tend to see younger ones as people who need constant guidance and support - it's very hard for us to see past that. Therefore, for her to be able to consider multiple possibilities, she has to first understand her own type's inherent weaknesses - but again, it has to be done in a very calm and patient way.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awwww! I wish I could help, but I really don't know how to deal with people like that either. Does she know about personality types? Maybe if you can get into a discussion of them with her it could help her to see differences as acceptible, rather than right and wrong. I know that made a difference for me with my mom.
Yes, she does know about personality types, but she doesn't really think of them much. Thank you anyways :D

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you should have a heart to heart with her. There is a potential for Fi / Fe clash especially in paternal relationships.

ENFJ's however are very considerate and giving once they can be convinced of something. But we don't like being outright blamed for being responsible for hurting/harming someone else's feelings.

Take some time out on one of her better days and when you're also feeling fine and just try to help her understand the differences between INFP's and ENFJ's. You'll have to convince her that being introverted doesn't mean that you're alone because your unhappy, but because being by yourself actually makes you happier. ENFJ's are inherent mentors, therefore they tend to see younger ones as people who need constant guidance and support - it's very hard for us to see past that. Therefore, for her to be able to consider multiple possibilities, she has to first understand her own type's inherent weaknesses - but again, it has to be done in a very calm and patient way.

Thank you very much :). This helps a lot, and I'll try to explain to her in a peaceful manner, as soon as I find the right time to do so. By the way, I agree with how ENFJs are inherent mentors, and how they tend to see younger people as ones who need guidance. My mom has always given me guidance, and she has given me support, but at the same time the support she's given me all the time, was when I would be doing something that would be pleasing her.

Anyways, thanks once again for sparing your time, and explaining to me a way in which I can approach her :).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts