Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been professionally typed to be an ENFP but want to eliminate any possibility I'm an INFP utilizing Ne as a dom function.

I am so very confused.

Can't we switch up our dom and aux at a blink of a light depending on the situation or our emotions?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That is quite the dilemma considering ENFPs are pretty cool and INFPs are THE WORST personality type to be. "Be yourself!" Very true, unless you're an INFP, in which case, be somebody else, anybody else.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hiiii Mistress~

Dom and aux being the most developed, can be used interchangeably at will in a sense, because of their stages in development at a certain age. I can assume you're at least 20 or so, so your dom/aux will have developed by now, unless your psyche development suffered somewhere along the way.

INFPs utilizing Ne as dominant function... (???) That's not an INFP though... Introvert leading with an extroverted cognitive function? O__o :confused: The introvert that charges by extroverting! I like it.

INFPs are not driven by seeking continuous inspiration and possibilities, no matter how well developed aux-Ne is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Ne not about seeing the physical world and visualizing possible potentials? Seeing so many possibilities so quickly and wanting to entertain them all? I mean it is possible, but I'm going to say it's just a mistype. Or a misread of the functional stack.

Also when you say you want to confirm you're not an INFP using dom-Ne, I get the impression you're emphasizing your introverted behavior/tendencies, rather than you being unsure of your dominant function being Fi. If that is even remotely correct, then that totally makes sense. ENFP/ENTP can pretty much be ambivert/part-time introvert or what have you when their Ne calms down to take a break and aux-Fi/Ti step in. The ENFP/ENTPs I know have their "lightswitch-on-off" moods.

Leading Fi users evaluate information through individual experience. Search private feelings, personal values, and instinctive moral boundaries, confirm alignments with those as a guidance for decision making. Feelings += Values += Morals += Action => Authenticity. The slowest kind of decision making.

So pretty much in a nutshell, ENFPs lead with inspiration, then take breaks to check with themselves if what they're doing is congruent with what they want/value in life. INFPs lead (and struggle lol) with congruence, then consider all the possible ways to manifest themselves authentically in the external world. ......But then kinda suck at doing so (inferior Te) at least earlier on in their lives.

Hope this helps with your confusion, maybe there's more we can discuss on this~

Kachow! :cool:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
First of all, there's no such thing as an INFP that leads with Ne. There's INFP's that use a lot of Ne and it can appear as if they use it more since Fi is an introverted function and therefore less noticeable.

It can be hard to find out if you're the introverted or extraverted variety of a type. Without any first-hand knowledge I can only offer some vague pointers, but maybe it can help anyways.

ENFP's spend a lot of energy in their world of possibilities. They can combine lots of different contexts to come up with new solutions (or ideas for problems they weren't even working on for that matter). ENFP's tend to suffer creative burnout from it though. After a highly creative period often comes a low-energy period where the ENFP might even think themselves an introvert. ENFP's often live a life of highs and lows because of this.

INFP's tend to be more stable energy-wise. They know what's important to them, although they're not that quick to make decisions on it. When they have made their decision on it, it's final though. INFP's can also have high energy moods, but a less prone to creative burnout (I have seen it happen though).
Finally, INFP's are the world's most attentive listeners. They can listen intently to someone and soak up everything they say. They might ignore everything in the end, but they will consider everything you say.

Not sure if any of that is helpful at all, do with it what you like.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
So pretty much in a nutshell, ENFPs lead with inspiration, then take breaks to check with themselves if what they're doing is congruent with what they want/value in life.
I never thought about it as leading with inspiration but it's so obvious and true, I like that phrasing. Ne is the inspiration function.

As for the OP, 90% of ENFPs doubt their extraversion at some point. We don't always get our energy the same ways the stereotypical extravert does.

The biggest thing is that whilst ENFPs can definitely get into a loop of over thinking decisions and trying to decide what is right before leaping in, this process is exhausting for them and it eventually comes to a point where we just have to experience something to decide if we were right about it or not. I find making decisions on whether something is good to me is a maddening process, I feed my decisions with experience the older I get to become more confident with them but I can't rely on experience if I don't go ahead and experience new things so it's a constant cycle of experiencing, analysing, feeding that inspiration again to experience more.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
At the end of the day, I might even be an ISTJ with somewhat of a developed Ne and Fi as I near my 30's.

I don't even know why I'm in denial of my type.

Could I be in my shadow-life stages, an INFJ aligning to different functions based on how they're feeling or who they're around?

I used to be not as open to different ideas as a child, but am more aware of it. Sometimes I make decisions with thinking, sometimes by feeling. I would say it's more balanced now.

As I aged, I've noticed I've taken more time to make decisions then rush into them. I used to make them on the fly.

I don't like using so much "I", it's so selfish now that I think about it. But it's just for introspection purposes so it's okay. I was never much of a introspector growing up if I think about it.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I'm so open to different ideas and not entertained to one i.e. thinking or feeling there could be better alternatives out there or I may have missed something. Sometimes I make decisions by thinking, sometimes by feeling. I would say it's more balanced now.
You're an ENFP. There's no way an INFJ or an ISTJ would say that. And that balanced Thinking/Feeling balance, the "used to make [decisions] on the fly" just pushes you further to the ENFP scale than the INFP scale.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't seem to grasp my "fish-in-water" function.

All I know is I exhibit Fi, Si, Ne and Te primarily in no particular order.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see myself as a creative person or one that has many hobbies/interests so it puts a red flag on ENFP or has me thinking about it. It seems like a mistype.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
But sometimes I can feel a glimpse of how another MBTI would view the world from their lenses. Like change a state of mind or go stoic and I can feel or imagine how XXXX is like as if I'm in their shoes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know like the orphaned child who never found out who their parents were, that's how I feel. Not knowing my natural dom and aux.

But it's okay. It's an unsolved mystery O.O

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I can't seem to grasp my "fish-in-water" function.

All I know is I exhibit Fi, Si, Ne and Te primarily in no particular order.
Yeah, we other ENFPs know. We do the same over-thinking. It seems like I've tried to answer a bunch of questions for people recently like this. All not posting in the ENFP forum. Come over and talk with us and get comfy. @Falling Foxes, don't we see this too much?

Anyway, the original way I would have answered you is this: I'm only like 5% more on the extroverted side. Like I've got well-developed Fi and so all of us fall on a scale of very extroverted or lightly extroverted or whatever. I actually test very high on perceiving, so that means I'm not quite "down the middle". Really well-rounded examples of people tend to test close to the middle, and that's not a bad thing. It means you've developed in different ways. Now having strong Si is interesting and might make me question.
Actually I've heard from psychologists that if a ENFP is depressed they might type INFP (falsely) or if life situations make it so you have to use your Fi more or develop Si more, then it's possible that you can become another type.
This is my understanding anyway.
Sometimes I read the descriptions over and feel 50% 50%. But I'm married to a INFP and so it's easy to see that I get more energized from talking to people and he gets exhausted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts