Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've never been the dancing kind. Kinda have a wedding coming up and of course dancing comes with that. Tonight was horrible. It was good I got to take in what I took in but when my fiancee started pushing and told me not to just stand around I started boiling. I went for a walk that ended up me just getting in my car and driving home.

Why do I care about what others think about me? Why can't I just make a fool of myself and go with it? I hate this. Thinking I'm going to take private lessons to build up my confidence/courage some. I don't think I "can't" dance just never really was in the environment that would be conducive to this. I was always a loner and to myself, why dance if you are by yourself. oh well...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Well, private lessons sound good.

I've always been a loner too, but I did manage to dance once or twice in my early teens. I was so atrocious at it that I gave up. I never understood the point of dancing intellectually. "This is fun?" "So I move around like this and pretend I am enjoying myself, because it's the socially acceptable thing to do..."

Stuff like that is what drove me to become a cynical bastard about all of humanity for a solid decade. I'm just now getting over it, lol. :tongue:

·
Registered
89 Posts
HAHAHAHA this is one of my fears when I get married as well. I think the lessons will help a lot and also dance with your fiancee (in private of course) and get more comfortable. And if all else fails, just bust out the lawn mower or the shopping cart :D ok jk... if you can't look like a fool with your future wife, who can you do it with?

·
Registered
279 Posts
My advice is two words: let go.

Reactions: linax

·
Registered
76 Posts
From an INFJ woman: Pick a slow song you both like. Tell her you really want to do this one song with her and you want to be the best partner she could have; you want to make her look good on the dance floor for your special dance. Ask her to help you. Practice moving together. A slow dance is mostly just moving in synch together. You already know how do that.... right? This is just standing upright and moving your feet in the opposite direction from hers. I commend you for keeping at it even though it makes you feel foolish. So let go of your self-image and be willing to look foolish for your wife's happiness. Oftentimes, people are very forgiving and feel happy with us when we look foolish and know we look foolish and show that we're happy anyway.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I hope it all works out for you.

But MAN I have had that thought so many times. If I were to get married, what do I do???? I HATE dancing. I refuse to dance at my friends' weddings. I don't care what they think.

Makes for some stares though. Oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts