Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Myer's Briggs Personality Test twice. The first time I got INFJ, the second I got an INFP.

I just took the 44q test and this is what it said.

"Dreamy Idealist"
Quiet, reflective and idealistic. Interested in serving humanity. Well-developed value system, which they strive to live in accordance with. Extremely loyal. Adaptable and laid-back unless a strongly-held value is threatened. Usually talented writers. Mentally quick and able to see possibilities. Interested in understanding and helping people.

So, can someone help me identify what I really am. Ask me questions or something.

I'm 14. High school freshmen. All honors classes.
I think math is fun and interesting but I abhor it when I don't understand it. This goes for any subject.
I usually leave homework for last minute.
I'm extremely Christian.
I love writing. I sometimes act out scenes that inspire ideas for my stories.
I think a career as an actor would be awesome. Or a film director.
I hope to be an author.
I also wish to be a musician (piano/guitar) at my church.
I want to double major in philosophy and English.
I have a tendency to daydream about the 'perfect' relationship.
I'm very organized, though I never make my bed and I leave my clothes lying around.
Poe, Tolkien and Marx are awesome.
I think science is pointless, though aesthetically pleasing. (probably 'cause I'm not very good at it)
I have a special bond to poverty.
I enjoy long walks on the beach and taking photos of nature-stuff.
I sympathize with most people. Always wish I could do something to help them.
I am not fond of human systems of organization of people's. (countries, governments...)

Yeah.

What am I?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Based on cognitive functions I see Si and Ne in your writing and here's why:

I think math is fun and interesting but I abhor it when I don't understand it. This goes for any subject.
I have a low frustration threshold for anything I do not understand. When I took the SAT test for college, I scored 450 on critical reading (interpreting) but 680 on math (understanding rules and principles).
...science... (probably 'cause I'm not very good at it)
Again, confusion, not getting it = anger for me.

I love writing. I sometimes act out scenes that inspire ideas for my stories.
I think a career as an actor would be awesome. Or a film director.
I hope to be an author.
I also wish to be a musician (piano/guitar) at my church.
Especially the first thing in that quote, it seems like you have a very creative mind, but you also want what emerges to layout correctly. Hence, the acting, seeing your scenario play out. That is very Si to me.

I have a special bond to poverty.
Could you explain this a little more?
Also your attachment to Christianity. Why do you have it? It is more out of a sense of duty and allows you to get involved or because you have a lot of passion for the religon?

In conclusion I see mostly a feeling preference in you. I would look at either INFP or ISFJ. The reason is because both use Si and Ne functions to some degree, but I am unsure about where your judgement functions are oriented.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I see. I shall retake the test.
Rather than take the test, I suggest looking at cognitive function pairs. In this case, examine the Ti-Fe pair and Fi-Te pair. Are you driven more by knowing what is right for yourself or understanding how you personally see things work, in other words, finding the objective truth?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
HandiAce point about the tests is an important one. Any personality test, and especially the free online MBTI copycats are not very good predictions of type. They are more meant to be a first step in trying to fit a type, and should ideally always be followed up with other steps to find the best fit, merely using the test result as a starting point. Asking from help around here, might give you more ideas as to which type could fit you, but what you really need to do, if you want to understand MBTI and your own type, is to actually spend some time reading up on the basics of the system, including Cognitive Functions. From your presentation, I take that you are clearly capable to do so, if you spend the effort.

In the end what will help most in determining your type is not your specific interests (though they might be pointers to something) but more how you tend to react and behave in different situations, and how you relate to people and things around you. So besides reading, this takes some introspection and observation of how you differ from the people around you in your personal traits.

I would suggest you read some personality descriptions (e.g. The Sixteen Personality Types - High-Level) and see what you do and don't relate to. Start out with INFJ, INFP and ISFP as that is what is suggested from you and HandyAce... Then go on looking at how you relate to the different Cognitive Functions (e.g. http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html).

Having done that, you will have a solid base for understanding the distinctions between the types better, and be able to direct your introspection in the right direction. There are obviously easier ways to go at this, but the understanding in the end is really a matter of how much effort you put in, and I take it you actually do want to understand this, and not just get away with a four letter combination as quickly as possible. Had that been the case, you probably wouldn't even be here...

It's great having you here! Good luck reading, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you don't understand. :happy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts