Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... if any of you guys (or gals?:unsure:) can help me with this problem.

So I stumbled onto a website that discussed personality types using the Myers-Briggs System (I hope I've spelt that right) and decided to take an online test, then another , then another one etc.

For the most part my results put me in the INTJ and INTP groups and a couple of times I was classed as an ISTP. I know online tests are not 100% accurate but I can't really be bothered seeing a real psycho-analyst. I then found this forum and realised a lot of what was written applied to me. So Here I am and I'm hoping if anyone knows what type I would lean towards based on the following info about me they can help me out.

I'm definately an introvert. My family says I'm anti-social and should open up more, although I've always thought an anti-social person was a yob and take offense. I admit I am a lone-wolf. I usually avoid contact with people and rarely talk to anyone at college. I have a large group of associates outside of college but hardly talk to them except one person, who happens to be the closest thing to a best friend I have. We are very alike and share mostly the same interest and have the same dry/sarcastic humour. We can talk for several hours (record being 3hrs 45 min) on the phone and often lose track of the conversation.

I'm definitely not a feeling person. People notice that right of the bat when the get to know me more. I don't know how many times I've said "That doesn't even make any sense" or "I don't understand", but if I got a penny everytime I did I'd be very rich (Actually I wouldn't, I would just have a large collection of pennies but you get my point). This is causes a lot of tension and sparks a lot of arguments between me and my older brother who is the very definition of an extroverted "feeler". I prefer logic, reason and efficiency to feelings, emotions and being considerate.

I enjoy thinking a lot and spending most of my time pondering things over. I actually volunteer to do house-chores because it gives me time to reflect and think. I have the habit of breaking the connection between my brain and my body i.e. I can think of complicated calculus or geometry questions or contemplate a book i was reading whilst doing the dishes, vacuuming, driving, sleeping etc. I'm definitely a future-orientated person with little-to-no interest in the present. I enjoy theories and concepts, especially new and radical ones. I can be practical as well at times but usually I'm up in cloud-cuckoo-land.

I've heard that INTJs and INTPs are science-lovers, but although I'm proficient in science (I get A grades when I can be bothered studying and my physics teacher calls me a "natural" physicist) I only find it mildly interesting and painfully boring sometimes. My greatest love is History (bizarre for an allegedly "future-orientated" person:dry:) and with a passion for Mathematics, Politics, Economics, and Warfare/Military history. I also like chess but kinda suck at it because I'm very impatient.

I would like to be more organised and I am usually a person who plans and prepares for things (I hate when forced to improvise) but more often than not my laziness overcomes my natural instinct to plan and counter-plan.

Pfffew! I feel like I'm on a some shrink's couch.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I enjoy thinking a lot and spending most of my time pondering things over. I actually volunteer to do house-chores because it gives me time to reflect and think. I have the habit of breaking the connection between my brain and my body i.e. I can think of complicated calculus or geometry questions or contemplate a book i was reading whilst doing the dishes, vacuuming, driving, sleeping etc. I'm definitely a future-orientated person with little-to-no interest in the present. I enjoy theories and concepts, especially new and radical ones. I can be practical as well at times but usually I'm up in cloud-cuckoo-land.
Well, it's obvious from your description that the "I" is correct, and the "T" is probably correct also. The snippet I've quoted here is Ni (introverted intuition), which I'm guessing makes you an "INTx." I've never been quite sure what the difference between judging (J) and perceiving (P) is, so I'm not sure what to tell you about that last letter. If I had to guess, I'd say you're INTJ, because my dad is very strongly INTJ, so I sort of have a feel for the type.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Start here http://personalitycafe.com/cognitiv...iled-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html with some background knowledge and here http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/85534-functions-how-they-work.html with a good shorthand way of defining the functions.

Then I would fill out a http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/42375-whats-my-type-form.html and post it in the What's my personality type? if you are still stuck. Either way what we are really trying to define are your cognitive function preferences not your four-letter type code.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your most interests are in theoretical discoveries, and you covered most of science fields I like, you seem to me you’re an INTx (most likely an INTJ).

Bye the way welcome to the forum

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Yes, my money is on INTJ. Just an intuitive hunch (and those haven't been wrong yet).

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the welcome. I've just done bit of reading on the cognitive fuctions and I'm probably leaning towards INTP, although I'm still very unsure. So far I would say I'm Ne dominant, with Ti coming close second.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. I've just done bit of reading on the cognitive fuctions and I'm probably leaning towards INTP, although I'm still very unsure. So far I would say I'm Ne dominant, with Ti coming close second.
Ne+Ti would make you ENTP; if you're an introvert who's intuitive dominant and thinking auxiliary, that would be INTJ.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I also follow a holistic approach rather than a reductionist one. I prefer the big picture as opposed to the minute detail. I have a habit of forgetting what I was thinking about a few seconds earlier. I also spend time trying to remember (usually fruitless) what I was dreaming about before I woke up. I daydream about silly, outrageous inventions in my head like a rocket's that go at the speed of light, giant under-water submarines that can fly, giant towers that can control rain by magnetically attracting storm clouds to prevent drought etc. (Yeah, I'm an idiot).

BTW what is the difference between a shy, socially-awkward ENTP and an INTP?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Btw, what is the difference between a shy, socially awkward ENTP and an INTP?
The focus is difference. Ne is the master for ENTP while Ti is the master for INTP. Let me say it in a very simplified way. ENTP needs constant external stimuli to learn in debating with others but INTP needs to theorize his own theory in his own head.

I think you are an INTJ. If you are an INTJ, you may have interest in criticizing other's speech if you notice there's some logical mistakes in his speech.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on your explanations then I would be a Ne dominant with Ti secondary. I'll give you an example; I have two teachers. One is a Physics teacher, the other a chemistry teacher. They have two different approaches to teaching. My physics teacher is extremely extroverted and is a bit of an eccentric goof-ball. However his method of teaching is effective and very engaging since he's constantly asking questions and bouncing ideas, theories and concepts off of us (in between the corny jokes and tom-foolery). Then there's my chemistry teacher who's very dry, sarcastic and has the energy of a slug on weed. He very monotonous and can bore me to tears. He's also not very organised, whereas my physics teacher is. I prefer my physics teacher.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Based on your explanations then I would be a Ne dominant with Ti secondary. I'll give you an example; I have two teachers. One is a Physics teacher, the other a chemistry teacher. They have two different approaches to teaching. My physics teacher is extremely extroverted and is a bit of an eccentric goof-ball. However his method of teaching is effective and very engaging since he's constantly asking questions and bouncing ideas, theories and concepts off of us (in between the corny jokes and tom-foolery). Then there's my chemistry teacher who's very dry, sarcastic and has the energy of a slug on weed. He very monotonous and can bore me to tears. He's also not very organised, whereas my physics teacher is. I prefer my physics teacher.
I think it's hard to say whether you are which type just based on which teacher you preferred. Are you sure you are Ne? The difference between Ni and Ne is Ni eliminating possibilities linearly while Ne seeing possibilities vertically.

Another question to distinguish between ENTP and INTP. Do you prefer solitude or others hanging around?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it's hard to say whether you are which type just based on which teacher you preferred. Are you sure you are Ne? The difference between Ni and Ne is Ni eliminating possibilities linearly while Ne seeing possibilities vertically.

Another question to distinguish between ENTP and INTP. Do you prefer solitude or others hanging around?
Could you clarify please?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Physics teacher sounds like an ENTP.

Again I'll use the Lenore ship model to help clarify.

In ENTP
  • Ne = Captain. Issuing the marching orders. Default perspective.
  • Ti - First mate. Acting as another perspective but overall working in a supporting role.
  • Fe - Childish crewmember on jet ski's behind the boat trying to get everyone come have some fun
  • Si - Mutinous crewmember who gets kicked off the boat and is angrily trying to ge to shore, but still tethered to the boat and so he is exerting opposite pressure.

In INTP Ti is the captain. The default perspective is one of Introverted Thinking or your own depth of understanding of a concept. Accordingly Feeling will be the least preferred function (the guy who Ti kicks off the boat and wants nothing to do with). In reality INTP is a judging type (Introverted Judgment) and ENTP is a an Extraverted Perception type.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I would say wither INTP or ENTP.

Many ENTPs can seem superficially "introverted" to others, especially highly intelligent ones who tend to not relate well with "average" people and so have social anxiety issues.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Could you clarify please?
There's one of the most difficult questions in cognitive functions forum. I've spent days and weeks to understand the whole Ni and Ne thing. And you expect someone to explain to you in a few words? I suggest you to read more articles. The concept is abstract, really abstract.

I'll use simplified examples to explain. Ni users have ideas coming out from nowhere, and if you are INTJ, Te function would criticize your own ideas, and eliminate it if it is useless to your core goal. Ne NEEDS external input to start thinking internally. Since I'm INTJ, it's harder for me to explain Ne indeed. :)

@LiquidLight has given some lively examples of roles of functions. You should take a look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's one of the most difficult questions in cognitive functions forum. I've spent days and weeks to understand the whole Ni and Ne thing. And you expect someone to explain to you in a few words? I suggest you to read more articles. The concept is abstract, really abstract.

I'll use simplified examples to explain. Ni users have ideas coming out from nowhere, and if you are INTJ, Te function would criticize your own ideas, and eliminate it if it is useless to your core goal. Ne NEEDS external input to start thinking internally. Since I'm INTJ, it's harder for me to explain Ne indeed. :)

@LiquidLight has given some lively examples of roles of functions. You should take a look.
Very interesting because I experience both phenomena. A lot of the times I'm blindsighted by my ideas and they seem random and to come out of nowhere, but I also like to bounce ideas off other people as well to see if they can come up with better solutions/ideas etc. Although the latter happens alot more often because I'm waht you'd call "intellectually lazy".

An example would be when I was studying for an maths exam and I was going over a past paper. I was stuck on a particularly hard geometry question and I couldn't get it round my head. It was late at night so I decided to go to sleep and ask my teacher about it in the morning. However, I couldn't wait till then (because I love maths) so I decided to work out the problem in my head while I lay sleeping. Within a couple of minutes of closing my eyes the answer came to me and I decided to wake up and write it down immediately before I forgot. I took the question and my answer to my teacher in the morning and he told me it was the right answer but was amazed to see that I had come up with a come up with completely different way of solving the problem. I must add at this point that things like that don't happen very often, and that's because I love maths so I think about it more. It's never happened with Physics/Chemistry because I find them kinda boring.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Ni users have ideas coming out from nowhere, and if you are INTJ, Te function would criticize your own ideas, and eliminate it if it is useless to your core goal. Ne NEEDS external input to start thinking internally. Since I'm INTJ, it's harder for me to explain Ne indeed. :) @LiquidLight has given some lively examples of roles of functions. You should take a look.
Your Ni description is spot on, but Ne is more about making connections between seemingly unrelated ideas. It doesn't need external input as much as it needs an already existing concept, idea or object to jump off from and begin making connections from. So, Ne would say "there is a lamp", and would then begin to extrapolate on whatever tangent that the lamp started (for me, it went "there is a lamp", to "what if lamps suck dark instead of giving light?" at the same time as "heh, that Conspiracy Keanu meme" which led to "maybe I should post in that thread I created"... and so on).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts