Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always tested INFP.

But somehow, Ni[1] seems a better fit that Ne for me.

Yet at the same time, I have reason to believe that I use Ne not Ni.

So how can I tell if my secondary function is Ni or Ne? Please Help, I'm all so confused...

·
Registered
321 Posts
How about you look into Se instead of Ni. Ni is the third function ISFPs. Se shares similarities with Ne. Check out this thread:

Se versus Ne

It might help. Also, concerning Ni, have you looked into INFJs? Ni is their main function. Unless the ISFP is in their thirties, I doubt Ni would be in much use...

If you gave out more information, more help could be provided!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's very possible!

What makes you think you're more of an Intuitive than an Sensor?

As an Ne, I actively search for threads of meaning. There are hundreds of possibilities, never just the one. I can't just choose one. Ne is about 'what if'. I have repeated mistakes just to see if the outcome will be the same... except this time round, I take a slightly different approach. It has helped me many times before... though, it has failed more than once!:crazy: I like to experiment with the possibilities at hand. Do you relate at all? I hope I explained it alright. I think I'm finally beginning to understand cognitive functions.

You might be interested in checking out this site.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes you think you're more of an Intuitive than an Sensor?
Ever since I first tooks the test, the description of a iNtuitive always fit me far better that a sensor
Intuition (N)
Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.

The following statements generally apply to me:

* I remember events by what I read “between the lines” about their meaning.
* I solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
* I am interested in doing things that are new and different.
* I like to see the big picture, then to find out the facts.
* I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced
* Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how to make them a reality.
Highlighted in red is what especially applies to me.

With your take on Ne, I relate somewhat, mostly to the part of repeating mistakes:happy:, and experimenting with the possibilities at hand.

The text in the link confused me...too much terminology. But the link I posted in the OP makes more sense for me especially to the "just know" part of it.

oooh, any more tips?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hmm.

Ne vs Se

"Simplicity of life is the cornerstone of the Se psyche, while for the Ne complexity is sublime. Ne will take a leap of faith while Se will first test the water. The sum total of stuff (opinions, feelings, beliefs and judgements about one's external world) accumulated defines who Se is, whereas a contextual understanding of stuff defines Ne.

Se builds an understanding of the world by amassing stuff - from the bottom up, starting with basics and progressing to the more diverse. Ne builds understanding from the top down - creates a process, sees whether or not stuff validates the process, and then modifies it until understanding is achieved; and Ne usually stores the process but discards the stuff.

Ne thinks that stuff can always be picked up when needed while the Se considers that processes are not really useful without the details of their application. The more stuff Se amasses the more secure Se becomes because Se considers most stuff as relatively constant and hence, valuable. Se is a packrat of stuff and strives for an accumulation of knowledge, discarding little.

Ne is never convinced stuff will remain the same so Ne hones an analytical ability keeping the mind clear of stuff, which is forgotten so easily. Security for Ne is having a problem solving capability to analyse or take on the complexities of life. Ne will integrate a lot of processes into the fabric of their being making their persona very complex but Ne will amass very little stuff.

Se keeps it simple: all the details to solve a problem are simply remembered for future reference. Se notices everything but will only pick up new stuff that fits in with the stuff already possessed; knowledge is built one brick at a time. And, Se does not necessarily need to understand all the stuff amassed but it must in some way be familiar. Se solves problems by sorting through vast amounts of collected stuff - drawing on experience.

Ne will often go back to first principles and solve the same problem in a different way because they pick up different stuff having forgotten most of what was done in the past; experience is not wholly trusted. Ne notices very little but seeks to understand all stuff that is picked up, but will instantly discard the stuff not deemed relevant to the immediate problem or issue.

Se is a knowledge farmer sowing order, while Ne is the hunter-gatherer of knowledge adapting to each situation. Se fears stuff that is not already on the farm while Ne fears not having gathered enough stuff. Se looks upon most Ne as lacking practical knowledge or ability while Ne looks upon Se as intransigent or narrow-minded. "

Also! I skulked around the forums and found an interesting thread; it discusses ISFP's functions, especially their tertiary.

Here!

Grey is pretty epic....

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's it, the description above is clear -- Ne.
Se seems so much unlike me, that's pretty much all I can say.

So I guess for now I'm an INFP, so i'll see how it works out.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts