Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been acting *very* SP. Closer to ESTP. I have not been under stress in the slightest, so I cannot figure it out. Anyone else ever go through this issue?

I do not mean this in a bad way, but it is very outside of my norm.

I've been buying expensive clothes randomly, eating very badly, behaving in a loud manner, ignoring books that I have bought - I can't even sit through a long movie anymore! Lots of random action. Lots of inability to focus.

Again, I'm not under any sort of stress (I work at a university, and it is summer currently, so very little to do). Maybe this is an outcome of some of my boredom at work?

I want to get back to my INFJ self. Any suggestions on what would cause a shadow side to come out? And any suggestions on ways to drift back to myself? I feel at a loss.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Did you have a long period of introversion before that or some sort of period of life that was monotonous and same? Sometimes I find if I lead same life day after day without many changes or not enough outside stimuli, that my shadow functions strive to pull me out of it. So it is more like stress from within rather than stress imposed from the outside, but I do not actually feel stressed just that notice that my mindset becomes somehow unusual.

·
Banned
891 Posts
hmm interesting

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
sarahwilliams... i'm going through the same exact thing--buying expensive clothes randomly, eating badly (ugh. i'm feeling the effects of it now), ignoring books i've bought, inability to focus. i've been under a heavy period of stress followed by a lot of introversion/isolation (a cycle), and not sure as to why...

vel's explanation seems to be right on.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have a long period of introversion before that or some sort of period of life that was monotonous and same? Sometimes I find if I lead same life day after day without many changes or not enough outside stimuli, that my shadow functions strive to pull me out of it. So it is more like stress from within rather than stress imposed from the outside, but I do not actually feel stressed just that notice that my mindset becomes somehow unusual.
My work right now, at this time of the year, is mind-numbingly boring. The day-to-day is the same. And frankly, my social life isn't that exciting either.

So this ESTP thing might be my personality trying to stir up something exciting? I could buy that.

'Stress from the inside' that may definitely be the case!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sarahwilliams... i'm going through the same exact thing--buying expensive clothes randomly, eating badly (ugh. i'm feeling the effects of it now), ignoring books i've bought, inability to focus. i've been under a heavy period of stress followed by a lot of introversion/isolation (a cycle), and not sure as to why...

vel's explanation seems to be right on.
oh! I am so sorry! I understand completely. It's a frustrating and completely unsatisfying phase. to use the other website that was linked in this thread:

"It is interesting that a number of INTJs and INFJs described themselves as becoming �self-centered� and �self-indulgent� when they are in the grip�a descriptor often projected onto well-functioning Extraverted Sensing types by INTJs and INFJs (and by other types as well)."

So true, I feel like a train off the tracks at the moment!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This website is wonderful! Thanks!

It details everything I've described recently, and have been experiencing.

So, now that we realize that we are using our shadow functions, any ideas on how to get back to type?

(The obvious solution is to remove the source of stress, but I don't even know what mine is. - so any other ideas?)

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
So this ESTP thing might be my personality trying to stir up something exciting? I could buy that.
That is how I rationalize it. Imagine that you are a car stuck in a mud puddle. You cannot go forward, so hitting reverse is an option to try to get out. Hitting the shadow functions feels like driving in reverse out of some puddle you didn't quite realize you were in.

I am usually not able to make a switch of N to S very easily to become SP so what happens to me is I begin to act either ENFP-like or ENTP-like. My mind is flooded by absurdities, I am more talkative, everything around starts to seem very funny, I go around grinning to myself, my emotions and thoughts become like a rollercoaster. I become more selfish and random, less responsible. I feel optimistic all throughout the day then for one hour I am really down to the point of just wanting to throw up.

It is scary because this is really unpolished side of your personality that is shining through during these periods. I always worry how it comes out to other people and try to tone it down to not appear to be too crazy :crazy: but alongside I also feel out of control, like I don't know where my boundaries really are.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Exercise will improve these symptoms, I do believe. Also, once our excursion into Ti exhausts itself, we tend to rebound more towards Fe. This causes changes in our behavior.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This website is wonderful! Thanks!

It details everything I've described recently, and have been experiencing.

So, now that we realize that we are using our shadow functions, any ideas on how to get back to type?

(The obvious solution is to remove the source of stress, but I don't even know what mine is. - so any other ideas?)
This may appear to sound "silly."

But... stop thinking about it. Be okay and accepting of it.

(We can think ourselves into a mess sometimes, and make the situation worse.
Working ourselves up and prolong it.)

It will "clear" on it's own, when it's ready... in it's own time and fashion. :wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Be watchful of this...I'm not saying this is definitely your problem (I'm no psychologist, just know a few things from personal study), but what you describe resembles the manic phase of a bi-polar episode. Being aware of things, though, is a good thing and just watch yourself and try to use good judgement to stay out of trouble.

Reactions: Runescribe

·
Registered
604 Posts
Lately I've been acting *very* SP. Closer to ESTP. I have not been under stress in the slightest, so I cannot figure it out. Anyone else ever go through this issue?
It may be tempting to jump to a conclusion of "illness" or invocation of the Shadow functions - but actually under the circumstances you describe it may be a natural upsurge in your growth of access to the lower functions.

Every type has access to the functions - but they come in an order of preference, cooperation and directionality. Take a look at these resources

http://personalitycafe.com/articles/20086-summary-cognitive-functions.html

http://personalitycafe.com/articles/13201-functions.html

The functions for INFJ: Ni-Fe-Ti-Se

You lead with Introverted Intuition and Extraverted Feeling. This is the seat of your values, your conceptual space and the way you relate to others in early life. Now obviously you must think about things rationally at some point, and you must evaluate information about the environment and that is where Ti and Se come in to support.

What happens as you mature is that there are times you will dip into the extended functions and begin to develop them. As you approach middle age you will find that you are more well rounded - more adaptable - more confident in your thinking and sensing as well as in your Intuition and Feeling. This does not happen all at once however. There are circumstances in which it can occur. A few examples:

Boredom - If you are at a stable point in your life your mind may wander and toy around with the inferior. the Anima/Animus of INFJ is ESTP. It is our "Play Face" - When is it time to play? When work is done.

Stress - One reaction we can have under stress is to reach deep into the inferior or even into the Shadow functions. Be aware of your motivation. In some circumstances however, stress can drive you to seek solace in the dominant function of Ni. Extremes of behavior in stressful times can vary.

If you are not under stress and your mind is seeking novelty in order to grow, that is a good sign. it means you are at a good place in your life. That can be a time to grow the Ti-Se part of your personality in a conscious way so that it gets its exercise but does not get out of control.

Growing the more remote functions will give you flexibility to solve problems because inevitably you will come to points in your life when you will need those skills.

Reactions: water
1 - 13 of 13 Posts