Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a 3rd year psychology student and have just started the module on Individual Differences covering personality. I have been fascinated by personality for a while, ever since my first encounter with MBTI. However, I was surprised to find that in my text-books nothing is said about MBTI or Enneagram. I am a type 5w4 INFP and believe that the descriptions given for these types do capture the main elements of my base personality. One of the main assessments for this module is to “Write an individual report on a group-based empirical research study investigating the relationship between self-rated intelligence and personality (as assessed via a questionnaire designed by your group)” In my quest to design the most bad-ass accurate and universal personality test I would like to enlist the help of my Personality Café community.

There are a number of themes that I would like to explore in this thread:

1. Why MBTI and Enneagram are so popular online but are missing from the text-books.

2. The books instead discuss several others (the ancient Greek humoral theory; Allport’s search for personality traits; Cattell’s sixteen personality factors; Eysenck’s three factors; the five-factor model and the ‘Big Five’. According to the course textbook, the five-factor model is regarded by most personality psychologists as the most robust. Why is this, what does it cover that are missing from MBTI and/or Enneagram?

The ‘Big Five’ traits are:
a. Open to new experiences
b. Conscientiousness
c. Extraverted
d. Agreeable
e. Nervousness

The five-factor (NEO-PI) traits are:
a. Neuroticism
b. Extraversion
c. Openness
d. Agreeableness
e. Conscientiousness

3. When I took the MBTI a few years ago I would get mixed results of INTP, INTJ, INFP, INFJ; I even sometimes scored as an extrovert despite being the most introvert person on the planet. When I commented on this to my tutor, she agreed that she got mixed results using MBTI tests. What questions are do you think are causing these conflicting results?

4. Personally, I didn’t finalise my MBTI type until I read the thread ‘You know you are an INFP when…’ and saw some of my own craziness reported by so many others. However, my whole life I have strived to overcome my weaknesses. As a child I was constantly worrying and getting my feelings hurt as a result I learned to detach from my emotions and look at things objectively (probably why I am an Enneagram type 5). For this reason I commonly mistype as a ‘T’. In a bid to overcome my disorganisation, procrastination and tangents, I am forever making plans, starting 1000’s but only finishing 100’s, although generally in the course of a plan I get a new inspiration or epiphany that sets me off down a new track leaving the current project on hold; which means I commonly mistype as a ‘J’. In a bid to get over my debilitating introversion I became a door2door salesman which has tempered my fear of talking to people and I have since become fairly talkative and out-spoken in group situations; commonly mistyping me as an ‘E’. When I am drawing or observing an experiment or doing something where I have to stay in the real world of the present I can be very observant and detailed making me a fairly good ‘S’ at those snap shots in time but admittedly I am shit at staying in the real-world and drift off as soon as I can. The point I am trying to make is my character development has always been towards the middle of the MBTI scale so shouldn’t it account for XXXX, INXX, XNFX etc.

5. Within specific situations and circumstances I (and I imagine most other people) become a different person. Do any of you think a personality test can be designed to account for this?
a. Salesman mode – ESFJ
b. Student mode – ENTJ
c. Proactive Dad mode – ENFP
d. Self at home – INFP
e. Close friends mode (in private) – ENFP
f. Among friends and strangers – INFP
g. Drunk – ESTP

6. What other personality traits do you think a test should include which would offer valuable insight into you personally and allow for you to be sub-categorized?

7. What do you think are the best questions for rooting out someone personality?

8. How can we avoid people reporting their ideal rather than their real-self?

9. I am interested in the combination of MBTI with Enneagram; I wonder what aspects of personality would still be missed in this type of analysis and how the tests could be beefed up to account for this.

That is all I can think of so far, I have a few weeks to build these personality and intelligence tests and I hope that the Personality Café Community will help me form a new revolutionary personality test that can accurately pin down a personality and account for adaption in different situations.

It’s a big ask but we can do it ;)

Above all though, I’d just love to hear your thoughts and glean from you your valuable insights.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hello! This thread caught my eye, and I'm glad I read it, because I too have noticed inconsistencies in the tests! My best friend and I, I being an INFJ, He being an INFP, talk about types constantly, and always come to the same conclusion, that we can't conclude from MBTI! Its a great overall, but it doesn't cover details. We would be interested in helping you out, and throwing ideas back and forth, but unfortunately, right now, were about to go to work =)

But I posted this to say we are interested, and will be on here later to give some ideas and throw around topics and such. =)

Till then!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I talk to someone about MBTI, to type them I ask them the following:
1. Are you introvert or extrovert? – If they need clarity, I say – when you are around people, do you spend most of your time inside your own head or talking to the others?
2. Do you live in the present, aware of your surroundings or are you more of a dreamer?
3. Are you a thinker or a feeler? – For clarity – Can you remain objective in a decision even if the outcome doesn’t feel right, even though it may appear logical?
4. Do you complete your plans or are you prone to going off on tangents, just going with the flow?

To me, these questions pretty much cover it; all the questions in the test about being logical are confusing, as if being a feeler means that you can’t make logical decisions – I can detach my emotions from decisions and make impartial, rational judgements. I feel that impartial logical is important; I feel that the scientific method is one of the most insights made by man. My fondness for these things does not preclude me from being a feeler. It is for this reason that I think many scientists are mistyped as T’s, chief among them is Nicola Tesla.

That is why in my question the emphasis is on remaining objective if there seems to be an emotional conflict with the decision.

This question is clearly looking for the distinction between T and F,

“I sympathize with people and would tell a white lie to avoid hurting their feelings. OR I tend to be unbiased and direct when I analyse people's problems, even if this might hurt their sensitivities.”

However, this question has a host of problems, chief among them is that in any situation where I hear someone coming out with nonsense to justify their position or actions; I (and imagine many other feelers) will defend the actions/intentions of the unrepresented other party. Therefore I can extremely unbiased and direct when I feel that there is something at stake. It is actually one of the few things that will bring me out of my introvert shell.

This one too “I value logic, justice and fairness, OR I value empathy, harmony and forgiving.”
Well from this list I value – harmony, logic, empathy, fairness, forgiving and justice; in that order….so I would rate this as a poor question.

I don't really know as much about the key questions to score an enneagram, or the 'big five' but I will certainly be looking this up in the coming days... Help here would be appreciated.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,252 Posts
1. Didn't know that.

2. I think the Big 5 system says a little bit more about a person. a) Because of the extra "nervousness/neuroticism" dimension. b) Because it's a scale from 0 to 100% for each, not a dichotomy like MBTI. Enneagram is just really hard to grasp and hard to type others on.

3. MBTI tests are often scales from 0 to 100% which does not agree with Jungian theory, so one day you could get 45% Feeling, and one day 55%. It's usually not good to base your type on a test, but to read in detail about each type.

4. Yep, that's precisely why it's often hard to type yourself based on tests. One must understand their naturally inclined preferences.

5. Very true. I often have an ENTP mask. I guess the questions would have to be based on "what is most comfortable" not "what do you usually do".

6. Neuroticism is a good one. It might show an underlying disorder. In fact, so many people mistype themselves because they are going through a challenging time in their life or have some sort of illness. Maybe something that accounts for this.

7/8/9. Perhaps I'll think about it later. Hunger ensues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My group were to submit our questionnaire this week. Unfortunately, it went down like a lead balloon.

We had decided to do a combination of Type and Trait theory by combining MBTI with the ‘Big 5’. Personally, I think it would have worked well by allowing us to access the Jungian theory of functions through MBTI and marrying that with the more 'robust' trait theory.

Alas, it was not to be and our tutor said we had stuck too close to the ‘Big 5’ and MBTI (shock horror). We were to come up with our own 7 traits (we could use some of the main ones).

We have a week to come up with the best questions to distinguish these 7 trait pairings; any question suggestions for each of these categories would be most helpful.

1. Introversion – Extroversion.

I like to have a lot of people around me.......... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I really enjoy talking to people.......... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I like to be where the action is........... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I usually prefer to do things alone......... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I am the life of the party........... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I start conservations........... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I don’t like to draw attention to myself.............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

2. Concrete – Abstract thinker.

I am a dreamer............ Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I am practical.............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I am good with details............ Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I am more about the big-picture............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

3. Gullible – Cynical.

I doubt the validity of everything I am told............ Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I think news programmes impartially present the facts............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I believe what my teachers tell me............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

4. Optimistic – Pessimistic (realistic).

The economy can only get better................. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

There is no such thing as rock-bottom;
Things can always get worse............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

5. Organised – Chaotic.

I finish what I start.............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I am organised............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I go with the flow................ Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I often go off on tangents.............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

6. Approachable – Intimidating.

Some people find me intimidating when they first meet me............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

People always seem to talk to me wherever I go............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

7. Neurotic – Calm.

I am not a worrier.............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

When under stress, I feel I’m going to pieces.............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I rarely feel lonely or blue............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I often feel tense and jittery............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

Sometimes I feel completely worthless............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I rarely feel fearful or anxious................ Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I feel like giving up when things go wrong............. Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I change my mood a lot............... Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

I am seldom sad or depressed................ Very Accurate O O O O O O Very Inaccurate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts