Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been stuck in the Ni-Ti loop for quite some time now (it's my natural state of mind if I'm not spending time with friends), and I believe it is because I am emotionally drained. I feel so cold hearted, argumentative, critical, untrusting, and suspicious of everybody that I'm not close with. Unless this is normal for INFJs, how do I escape this constant torture of over thinking everything :sad:

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
The sooner you [realize] cognitive-function "looping," is simply incoherent - (&) psychological distress is a sign of other form(s) of illnesses / defects unrelated to ('cognitive function Jungian/MBTI 'loops'), more useful alternatives [that work better], can be advised.

Re: It sound(s) like stress / mild-depression and/or other [lifestyle-related] interferences causes mood-swings / loss of interest, and/or other psychological biases is the culprit - not an inexplicit 'Ni-Ti' loop.

Fixation on the 'non-existent' loop (solving a non-existent) problem, is why you remain untreated.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
The answer to looping is actually right in the word :D

Looping is when you begin to ignore your auxiliary function, which causes you to loop between your dom-tert.

Thus, how do you end this looping? By flexing your auxiliary function. In this case it's Fe. You gotta get out there and hang out with some friends. Talk to some people (in person). It'll push you out of it.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Or you could change how you feel. And this will change your thoughts and actions. I don't necessarily mean act on good feelings, but just feeling them makes a difference.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I have been stuck in the Ni-Ti loop for quite some time now (it's my natural state of mind if I'm not spending time with friends), and I believe it is because I am emotionally drained. I feel so cold hearted, argumentative, critical, untrusting, and suspicious of everybody that I'm not close with. Unless this is normal for INFJs, how do I escape this constant torture of over thinking everything :sad:
We all go through this sometimes. I think the key is to quit beating yourself up over it and to accept that it's a regular part of your processing. All this warmth and love has to have an antipode if you are to be healthy. The more you avoid it, the more it will disturb you over and over.

Ni-Ti has its purposes, but you have to go back out there engaging with people. I get that you can feel mighty ashamed of sometimes being cold, but it's the shame of it that paradoxically keeps you in the loop. You have to go out there having accepted the fact that you sometimes think like a dystopic-ass bastard just like all of us.

It also sounds like you're spending time with people who simply aren't good for you or you're trying to avoid discussing something important but potentially controversial with them.

The defensiveness is also part of a belief that you can be hurt by others. Trust me, your ideas and ways of life need no protecting, and they become much easier to hold on to if you let go of the defence.

Reactions: MusiCago

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It also sounds like you're spending time with people who simply aren't good for you or you're trying to avoid discussing something important but potentially controversial with them.
You could say so :dry: theres just so many things emotionally draining me to the point of just constant negative emotions and hurt, then I try to deal with those feelings by overanalyzing/overthinking and it's just a mess. The worst part is that my main contributing problem/situation is completely out of my control and I can't attempt to solve it/address it without putting a lot of things I find important in jeopardy.

Reactions: Kirjuri

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Embrace the bitterness. Let it devour you.

Reactions: Privy and MusiCago

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Se is your friend. Se is always the circuit-breaker. Surrender unconditionally to Se. Just don't go overboard.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
I often find myself within this loop and it is hard to escape. It's very difficult when that emotional ti-detachment kicks in. The feeling of emptiness can be very real. I go through phases with it. It can be because of stress or maybe something major and emotional happened to you. With this loop, I sometimes overthink things and want to spend time away from people when in crowds. It would be good to try to get into a positive frame of mind. Try to do something that reduces stress for you. It would be beneficial to spend time away from people or maybe talk about this with someone you trust. It is good to keep all functions balanced but with all of the chaos going on in our minds, some sometimes outweigh others.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Explain..
Se gets you out of your mind and into the physical world, where you can celebrate the beauty of the senses: Feel the sunlight on your skin, see the (etc. etc. blah blah blah through the whole catalog)... Suddenly those mental tangles and emotional knots seem puny and not worth the stress they cause you, suddenly there's a new and healthy proportionality to things. Just take a walk around the block sensing things without thinking about things. Se really wants you to enjoy life.

The part to be careful about is getting hooked on Se (no, unfortunately, it is not a good idea to spend all your time at the beach--a very large part of your time, yes, but not all your time).

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Se gets you out of your mind and into the physical world, where you can celebrate the beauty of the senses: Feel the sunlight on your skin, see the (etc. etc. blah blah blah through the whole catalog)... Suddenly those mental tangles and emotional knots seem puny and not worth the stress they cause you, suddenly there's a new and healthy proportionality to things. Just take a walk around the block sensing things without thinking about things. Se really wants you to enjoy life.

The part to be careful about is getting hooked on Se (no, unfortunately, it is not a good idea to spend all your time at the beach--a very large part of your time, yes, but not all your time).
I do both though. I was walking out in the cold today to my car after a long day of school, and I was just paying attention to the cold air and how the air brings a slight comfort to me but at the same time its also slightly uncomfortable because of the crsip chill it has to it lol. I was thinking about that while also thinking about certain stuff going on in my life and my feelings. If that's what you mean by engaging in Se, I normally do that. If you mean it in a way of completely turning off your thoughts and fully engaging in the moment though, that's impossible for me.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I do both though. I was walking out in the cold today to my car after a long day of school, and I was just paying attention to the cold air and how the air brings a slight comfort to me but at the same time its also slightly uncomfortable because of the crsip chill it has to it lol. I was thinking about that while also thinking about certain stuff going on in my life and my feelings. If that's what you mean by engaging in Se, I normally do that. If you mean it in a way of completely turning off your thoughts and fully engaging in the moment though, that's impossible for me.
Well, gosh. Bummer. That's all I have for you... :sad:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, gosh. Bummer. That's all I have for you... :sad:
I'm sorry I can't take your advice :/ I didn't even think it was possible to not think about something though? Any information we process in our day to day lives is being thought about.. right? Anything our senses tell us, we internally think about it, just some go more deep with it. Example: (two people look up at the blue sky) Intellectual internally says: "I wonder if there's invisible alien spaceships watching us similar to the movie The Forgotten, just blending in with the blue sky."
Normal dude says internally: "The sky is so blue, cool."

Either way we're thinking in some way.. Or am I completely wrong and theres just something wrong with me and I have no ability to shut off my brain? lol. Usually (if I'm not completely zoned out in my thoughts) I'm just moderately paying attention to my senses while also thinking about things simultaneously.. Either way I always have a lot on my mind, I just choose how much I pay attention to my senses depending on the situation (usually I ignore the capabilities of my sense of sight the most).

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'm sorry I can't take your advice :/ I didn't even think it was possible to not think about something though? Any information we process in our day to day lives is being thought about.. right? Anything our senses tell us, we internally think about it, just some go more deep with it. Example: (two people look up at the blue sky) Intellectual internally says: "I wonder if there's invisible alien spaceships watching us similar to the movie The Forgotten, just blending in with the blue sky."
Normal dude says internally: "The sky is so blue, cool."

Either way we're thinking in some way.. Or am I completely wrong and theres just something wrong with me and I have no ability to shut off my brain? lol. Usually (if I'm not completely zoned out in my thoughts) I'm just moderately paying attention to my senses while also thinking about things simultaneously.. Either way I always have a lot on my mind, I just choose how much I pay attention to my senses depending on the situation (usually I ignore the capabilities of my sense of sight the most).
Hmmm . . . Maybe it's just a personal superpower that I have :crazy: but yes, I can shut off all thought and just absorb what the senses are detecting; or maybe another, more mystical, way to put it is that I can inhabit the sensation without exceeding it. I can certainly switch on my analytical processes should I want to; but, by the same token, I can just drift along within the cloud of sensation. It's like method acting or interpretive dance; you become the entity in question. . . . [muses] . . . Perhaps it's Se in cahoots with Fe at its most extreme. By thereby becoming part of the sensual world at large, it makes one's own emotional/intellectual problems appear not as problems but simply as tiny neutral phenomena, incidental flotsam in the vast sea of being.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm . . . Maybe it's just a personal superpower that I have :crazy: but yes, I can shut off all thought and just absorb what the senses are detecting; or maybe another, more mystical, way to put it is that I can inhabit the sensation without exceeding it. I can certainly switch on my analytical processes should I want to; but, by the same token, I can just drift along within the cloud of sensation. It's like method acting or interpretive dance; you become the entity in question. . . . [muses] . . . Perhaps it's Se in cahoots with Fe at its most extreme. By thereby becoming part of the sensual world at large, it makes one's own emotional/intellectual problems appear not as problems but simply as tiny neutral phenomena, incidental flotsam in the vast sea of being.
You're lucky.. The complexity of my thoughts and emotions is something I'm thankful for, but sometimes it feels suffocating and in times like these I seem to drown in them. I wish I could do what you do and shut it all off at times.

Reactions: odinthor
1 - 17 of 17 Posts