Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I get frustrated with the enneagram. I test as either 5w6 or 6w5, but when I read the descriptions I lean towards 1w2. I also see myself a bit in 4, 7 and 8. I also test as self pres/sexual and I'm leaning towards my tritype as 135.

So I decided to come here, and answer some preset questions.

Main Questions

1. What drives you in life? What do you look for?

I have three drives. One is seeking acceptance and understanding. The other to do something worthwhile for the world. I basically live by, "Even if things don't get better, I should at least strive to do what is right and work towards making the world a better place". To be free from the constraints of society.

2. What do you hope to accomplish in your life?

Find a loving, and understanding adventurous companion (I think I may have found that). Do something worthwhile and productive. Life changing for the human race.

3. What do you hope to avoid doing or being? What values are important to you?

A monster (an immoral bad person).

Independence, autonomy, self reliance, freedom, self expression, honesty, integrity, equality.

4. What are your biggest fears (not including phobias)? Why?

Becoming a monster (bad person) and being part of the rat race (not following my dreams, and just sticking with routine that helps me simply survive). My parents were like that, and I saw how such negatively affected them. I want to be something better.

5. How do you want others to see you? How do you see yourself?

Respectful, caring, intelligent, objective, logical, a doer, productive, honest, helpful, dependable. Simply human with flaws, but striving to be their best.

Objective, logical, caring, striving to be my best (though I seriously suck at certain things like communicating my deep inner thoughts). Too much of a perfectionist to the point I overload myself and don't know where to begin, laid back, nonjudgmental though highly opinionated. Aloof, distant, kind but not warm.

6. What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?

Being productive, accomplishing projects and figuring things out.

When I'm misunderstood, not accepted.

7. Describe how you experience each of: a) anger; b) shame; c) anxiety.

a) I'm like a tea kettle, but the situation has to be constant for such to happen. If it isn't constant I may get snappy/rash, but quickly apologize and adjust my behavior (I don't hold a grudge for small infrequent things). Or I'll retreat from the situation (apathy, disengaging).

b) I hide and try to avoid the situation at first. Most of the time I will man up, and try to do better next time. Or I'll just ignore it.

c) I have OCD 'checking' habits, and may hyperventilate if the situation is very bad (high stress situations). Though with social anxiety I either avoid or man up (though I keep distance at first, and tend to observe during the first few encounters). Social anxiety is only in social situations I've never been in before, so over time I have less.

8. Describe how you respond to each of: a) stress; b) unexpected change; c) conflict.

a) Try to find the root cause. I'll read up on the issue, make lists and so forth, analyze the situation, introspect, dissect the situation, talk it out, go for a walk. I walk a lot, helps so much. Activity in general help calms me down.

b) Pretty easy going with such most of the time. I can wing it fairly well, but if I've done planning for months and people change things at the last minute (on purpose and don't have a real excuse) I get highly irritated.

c) May act rash, will retreat then come back to logically address the situation.

9. Describe your orientation to: a) authority; b) power. How do you respond to these?

a) Only objective and harmonious authority should be respected, all else should be questioned and fought against (through the proper means). I'm non-authoritarian.

b) Everyone is equal. I don't like people with superiority complexes.

10. What is your overall outlook on life and humanity?

Actually quite positive. I try to see the potential in people, though I understand and accept the reality of the situation (and the fact things could get worse then they are). If I think too negatively I get stressed, burned out and unmotivated.

Optional Questions

11. Discuss an event that has impacted your life significantly; more importantly, how you responded to it.

Too personal.

12. Comment on your relationship with trust.

I have issues with trust. Very weary because of past experiences. But that only makes me 'cautious', I'm still willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I just keep all sides alive in my mind, but act positively until facts or my gut state otherwise.

13. List some of the traits you: a) like; b) dislike most about yourself.

I already did.

14. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

Motivations and why.

15. If a stranger insults you, how do you respond/feel? What if they compliment you?

Depends how I feel at the moment. Sometime I may brush it off, other times I get defensive.

16. What's something you are: a) thankful you have; b) wish you could have? Why?

My friends and family (my support system).

Motivation right now (things are gray, more negative then positive, though it switches back and forth. Yeah I have depression).

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Gauntlet - I agree with what you came up with. One seems to be your core. 1w2, I should think. I can definitely see Three (3w2 possibly). I'm not sure about the Five. Your Head type is either 6w5 or 5w6, I'm not sure which. I'm leaning slightly towards 6w5 simply because you seem more self-aware, pretty in tune with your emotions. I also think your order seems to be more 153 or 163 than putting your Image type before your Head type. Just thought I might mention that.

Here's an awesome site that you may or may not have visited. It has awesome descriptions, and I suggest you give it a look considering it's a good source of information: the enneagram ...info from the underground

And here's another good one: Typewatch Enneagram: Typewatch Enneagram Type Descriptions

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aren't the tritypes for 1, 3 and 5 only 135, 351, 513?

I'm not actually 'in tune' with emotions per se, but aware of them and why they manifest. I seek to understand them in order to detach further from them, not to become one with them in understanding (5). Though I seem to also create scenarios in my head where I get a sense of loss, or great pain, as well as an artist at heart (4). I do also have some traits that resemble CP6 my non-authoritative behaviors, willingness to face my fears, inaction and procrastination. Though through further readings of 5 and 6, I find myself leaning more towards 5 since my detachment is far more present.

Which makes me think I'm 1w2 or 1w9 (uggh, leaning towards 9 now again, after being comfortable with 2 for so long), 3w4 and 5w6.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Aren't the tritypes for 1, 3 and 5 only 135, 351, 513?

I'm not actually 'in tune' with emotions per se, but aware of them and why they manifest. I seek to understand them in order to detach further from them, not to become one with them in understanding (5). Though I seem to also create scenarios in my head where I get a sense of loss, or great pain, as well as an artist at heart (4). I do also have some traits that resemble CP6 my non-authoritative behaviors, willingness to face my fears, inaction and procrastination. Though through further readings of 5 and 6, I find myself leaning more towards 5 since my detachment is far more present.

Which makes me think I'm 1w2 or 1w9 (uggh, leaning towards 9 now again, after being comfortable with 2 for so long), 3w4 and 5w6.
The ordering of a tritype has always been a debatable subject.

I simply trace those tendencies you have back to a type 1 core's mindset instead of something of a 4. Is the core of a 4 (basic fear) really there for you to link it back to?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ordering of a tritype has always been a debatable subject.

I simply trace those tendencies you have back to a type 1 core's mindset instead of something of a 4. Is the core of a 4 (basic fear) really there for you to link it back to?
You're correct, my four tendencies may simply be manifestations of my perfectionism. What I see in primarily 3 and 5, and a bit in 6, and to more minor degrees 2, 7, 8, and 9 really does come from the root (1). Though I'm not particularly sure 100% on all of them. I've been sorting out my personal issues for quite some time (to gain clarity, objectivity and personal growth), but some parts are still a jumbled mess (surrounding the core). I think 3 is most related to 1, but 5 and to a lesser degree 6 not so much.

Hence me asking for more perspectives, so I can address the blind spots.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
You're correct, my four tendencies may simply be manifestations of my perfectionism. What I see in primarily 3 and 5, and a bit in 6, and to more minor degrees 2, 7, 8, and 9 really does come from the root (1). Though I'm not particularly sure 100% on all of them. I've been sorting out my personal issues for quite some time (to gain clarity, objectivity and personal growth), but some parts are still a jumbled mess (surrounding the core). I think 3 is most related to 1, but 5 and to a lesser degree 6 not so much.

Hence me asking for more perspectives, so I can address the blind spots.
JuliaBell was right to point out the 3w2 angle about your readings. You should take a hard look at the possibilities of being that type before getting into the 1 too much. Timeless articles are a great place to start.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mmm, well another point that I haven't mentioned yet is that I find my perfectionism 'frustrating'. I actually tend not to like it at all, and beat myself up for being a perfectionist (compared to being laid back). My perfectionist issues, come from my need for acceptance from my parents (tough TJs (a 613[ISTJ] and 8??[ENTJ] that demanded perfection of me). So in order to receive acceptance I strove to be 'perfect', despite my natural inner natural to be easily going, relaxed and with the flow/in the moment. I have strong urges to be 'free', and dance about, sing, etc. but keep myself in check (learned behaviors). Though my early years (0-3) I got along with other children and people fairly well (wasn't concerned about my image).

The only thing that has kept me sane is my ability to detach from my emotions. My rationality and logic are a huge part of me, and the most noticeable (I'm quite aloof). I tend to pick things apart looking for how they tick and operate, so I can make them more efficient. I view myself as designer or analyzer, though some deep inside of me is idealistic and martyr-ish (perhaps to right the injustices I faced as a child).

Does this info help more?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Mmm, well another point that I haven't mentioned yet is that I find my perfectionism 'frustrating'. I actually tend not to like it at all, and beat myself up for being a perfectionist (compared to laid back). My perfectionist issues, come from my need for acceptance from my parents (tough TJs that demanded perfection of me). So in order to receive acceptance I strove to be 'perfect', despite my natural inner natural to be easily going, relaxed and with the flow/in the moment. I have strong urges to be 'free', and dance about, sing, etc. but keep myself in check (learned behaviors). Though my early years (0-3) I got along with other children and people fairly well (wasn't concerned about my image).

The only thing that has kept me sane is my ability to detach from my emotions. My rationality and logic are a huge part of me, and the most noticeable (I'm quite aloof). I tend to pick things apart looking for how they tick and operate, so I can make them more efficient. I view myself as designer or analyzer, though some deep inside of me is idealistic and martyr-ish (perhaps to right the injustices I faced as a child).

Does this info help more?
3s learn to achieve to validate themselves. 3s lock away emotions to function better, 1s lock away emotions to not bias their opinions and actions.

3s are known to at one point try to please others, particularly their parents, in order to be accepted. 1s maybe focused on performing for others to spread what they see as right, but it is more about their opinion of setting things right or serving a cause than it is another's opinion. 1s aren't very affiliative for this reason, as 3s are very much so. 3s at some point take on their own goals and sense of self and aim to be the person they want to be by achieving what they see as worthy goals. The issue is that 3s don't really know an end goal to find peace with, but are always pushing themselves to make a better self.

Some statistics about the types are shown here from a study: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/articles/OPQcorrelations.pdf

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I seem to fluctuate?

I do:

-3s learn to achieve to validate themselves. (I do such, but I hate it and have been 'rebelling' against such. Don't want to be part of the 'rat race')
-3s lock away emotions to function better, (Yep do that)
-1s lock away emotions to not bias their opinions and actions. (That reason too)
-3s are known to at one point try to please others, particularly their parents, in order to be accepted. (Obviously I did that, and I still have issues with such. Working on 'letting things go'.)
-1s maybe focused on performing for others to spread what they see as right, but it is more about their opinion of setting things right or serving a cause than it is another's opinion (I have the need to make the world a better place, not just for myself but others and want to spread how to live life more efficiently, objectively and in harmony with one another/nature)
-3s at some point take on their own goals and sense of self and aim to be the person they want to be by achieving what they see as worthy goals (would such be what I mentioned in the quotes above instead of 1 behaviors? since I'm fulfilling personal growth and want to share what I know with others?)
-The issue is that 3s don't really know an end goal to find peace with, but are always pushing themselves to make a better self. (Yeah I have issues with that, but settled on, "Just let it go (perfectionism and hoping that things will be perfect) and serve your upmost highest good")

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Core does not fluctuate.

---

I seem to fluctuate?

I do:

-3s learn to achieve to validate themselves. (I do such, but I hate it and have been 'rebelling' against such. Don't want to be part of the 'rat race')
I have a friend who is a 3w2, and he does that also. He values relationships over achievements. It's a funny kind of 3 who is easily mistake for 2. By buddy actually typed as a 2 also, but the misidentifications of 3 vs. 2 we have in our articles make him solidly a 3, and he shows this 3 side of himself often and not a 2-like side.

-3s lock away emotions to function better, (Yep do that)
-1s lock away emotions to not bias their opinions and actions. (That reason too)

-3s are known to at one point try to please others, particularly their parents, in order to be accepted. (Obviously I did that, and I still have issues with such. Working on 'letting things go'.)
-1s maybe focused on performing for others to spread what they see as right, but it is more about their opinion of setting things right or serving a cause than it is another's opinion (I have the need to make the world a better place, not just for myself but others and want to spread how to live life more efficiently, objectively and in harmony with one another/nature)
3's are known to have a really big heart when they're not working to achieve a goal.

-3s at some point take on their own goals and sense of self and aim to be the person they want to be by achieving what they see as worthy goals (would such be what I mentioned in the quotes above instead of 1 behaviors? since I'm fulfilling personal growth and want to share what I know with others?)
Sort of stepping away from your own desire to achieve to tend to your relationships like a 3? Or doing what people should do if they held themselves to your standards like a 1?

-The issue is that 3s don't really know an end goal to find peace with, but are always pushing themselves to make a better self. (Yeah I have issues with that, but settled on, "Just let it go (perfectionism and hoping that things will be perfect) and serve your upmost highest good")
Hmm... I can't relate this too well to a 3. It sounds rather 1-like. You have a strong preference towards type 1 motivations, so it's hard to separate your state of mind too far from it.

I would say that you're most likely a 3w2 who has grown very comfortable with the 1's values, but it could be the other way around. You should study and reflect the role a 3's image plays in your psyche. 1's want to be blameless so they don't look corrupt to the outside world, and they're critical of themselves as doing right. 3's image... is hard to explain, and you should probably listen to the type 3's on this one. Take good note of Timeless' articles about the basic fear, desire, and motivation of both types and how they play out in your psyche.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the help so far. I definitely agree 1 or 3 is my core, and my tritype involves 1, 3 and 5. (Thus I'm either 135 or 315).

Hmm... I can't relate this too well to a 3. It sounds rather 1-like. You have a strong preference towards type 1 motivations, so it's hard to separate your state of mind too far from it.

I would say that you're most likely a 3w2 who has grown very comfortable with the 1's values, but it could be the other way around. You should study and reflect the role a 3's image plays in your psyche. 1's want to be blameless so they don't look corrupt to the outside world, and they're critical of themselves as doing right. 3's image... is hard to explain, and you should probably listen to the type 3's on this one. Take good note of Timeless' articles about the basic fear, desire, and motivation of both types and how they play out in your psyche.
Well a thing about that. I agree that I should simply "Just let go and serve my upmost highest good" (Hence why I came to such a conclusion)... but that is the most hardest lesson to learn ever. I want to achieve, achieve, achieve. It's like there are two opposing forces working in me always. One that seeks to be perfect and achieve, while the other wants contentment and freedom (the laid back part, that accepts imperfection).

Sort of stepping away from your own desire to achieve to tend to your relationships like a 3? Or doing what people should do if they held themselves to your standards like a 1?
I step away to attend to relations, but I beat myself up for such (since I have to give up time in regards to ambitions). My sense of purpose (do something for the world that is worthwhile) conflicts with my need to socialize and maintain meaningful relations. I'm seeking out 'balance' between work and relations currently.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Well a thing about that. I agree that I should simply "Just let go and serve my upmost highest good" (Hence why I came to such a conclusion)... but that is the most hardest lesson to learn ever. I want to achieve, achieve, achieve. It's like there are two opposing forces working in me always. One that seeks to be perfect and achieve, while the other wants contentment and freedom (the laid back part, that accepts imperfection).

I step away to attend to relations, but I beat myself up for such (since I have to give up time in regards to ambitions). My sense of purpose (do something for the world that is worthwhile) conflicts with my need to socialize and maintain meaningful relations. I'm seeking out 'balance' between work and relations currently.
Sounds like I was right on in my conclusion. Good luck with the introspection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts