Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been previously self-typed as an INFJ, but I'd like to hear what you guy's think! So here are my answers to this questionnaire.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Too much self-typing – no outside influence or perceptions. I’ve been typed INFJ +/-80% of the time and INFP a couple times too which throws in some doubt, considering the amount of debates found online on this exact subject and the fact that the tests are considerably unreliable.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I yearn to accomplish something big that will leave a positive impact on the world – something in which people will use, cherish or remember even after my death.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Working from home – I felt like I could do anything I wanted without superiority or anyone “bigger than me” telling me what’s right and wrong or what to do, only me to decide. Helping clients attain their dreams in architecture/construction – designing restaurants & houses and meeting people made me feel more satisfied than I would ever have imagined.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
People who are condescending and un-empathetic towards my feelings and thoughts. (I also hate when people are like that to others.)

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
People weigh on my decisions and they don’t even know it. This is bad tendency as I often neglect what I need for myself… -_-

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I don’t like having control of the outcome per-say - I usually bring the ideas up, list out a timeline of when things need to be done and how to get them done, line up my ducks and run to the pond. People are often impressed about my ability to structure tasks and accomplish them in a timely manner. Work then play is how I do.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Playing in a band – I was creative, collaborated with friends, pushed ideas into songs, was the main composer of ideas, was out-going and met some people, played guitar learning new tricks and developing my sense of musical-style...

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Definitely more hands-on as I need to be the one to manipulate the object or work in order to decode how it functions. After having that understanding, I’m capable of theorizing and coming up with new conclusions. Memory is my downfall… Don’t even remember what I did last weekend sort of thing.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I would say I’m organized – others have said I’m very organized. I write lists out and go highlighter crazy when I finish a task. The satisfaction in crunching a list before going to have fun is delightful.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I try to make sense of the principles behind it and see where it sorts out with all its surrounding implications. Theories and ideas are more interesting to me than factorial information.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I make sure everyone else is doing fine...

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Need to think, know and believe what I have to say before I say it. Writing out my thoughts helps sorting what needs to be said. Sometimes over thinking = never speaking. One on one communication is my forte.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like knowing where I’ll land but am often able to judge the landing in mid-air. Meaning I’m typically quick to adapt either way.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Despite thinking I should stay in and be lazy, I’d end up going out to have a bit of fun even if it’s not my place to go (like a club for example). It’s much better being with friends than being inside watching tv. I’ll get my well needed alone time after.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I tend to either become angsty, sometimes snappy (if I really need my alone time), but usually I mask it all behind a solid wall as I dislike when people know how I’m feeling. When I’m really stressed, I’ll lack judgment and critical thinking and anxiously scatter in my surroundings for distractions or answers.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When people love to cause conflict or have behavior patterns that are repressing to others. I avoid conflict like the plague and truly believe in equality. Having said that, rarely do I dislike someone or can’t get along anyways.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Music, art, history, conspiracies, ideas, architecture, silliness, more music – although I rarely get to chat about this stuff as it’s seldom that I initiate conversation and lack the ability to quickly open up to people.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Media, mainstream shit like Justin Bieber, what everyone else is doing (aka what society thinks we need to be doing), and I also try to block out some of the negative realities in the world as I can get frustrated by them… Essentially, all external information that won’t help me push forward as a person is what I pay the least attention to.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Shy, quiet, reserved, observant, introverted, artistic, altruist, good listener, adaptable, intelligent, adventurous, resourceful, determined, sensitive, empathetic, compassionate, perfectionist, “good looking” – which is annoying to be told all the time (as though that’s the only thing that matters in humans?)....
What is wrong about their perception is that the “good looking” thing makes people have huge expectations and sort of seems to make them forget about trying to understand who I really am within my outer-shell. The rest is pretty much spot on other than how I am the entire opposite of a quiet introvert when I’m fully comfortable with a situation or the people surrounding me. (Most don’t believe that to be true – others only know that to be true)

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Hiking and fishing in a secluded provincial park all day to catch the sundown. Nothing more perfect than that. Well, actually give me a guitar afterwards to jam + a bunch of beer with good friends around a fire under a clear sky: that’s an ideal day.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think you're definitely an F, and most probably an I. I saw some traditional J elements in #s 6, 13, and a lot in 9, but I prefer to type based on type dynamics - how the letters "interact" in the code to illustrate cognitive functions. I saw a great deal of Fi - coded as xxFP - in your answers, particularly 2 - 4, 15, and a little in 18. I saw some things that could be construed as Fe - for xxFJ - in #s 11 and 16, but that can be explained by Fi as well. So despite your external organizational skills, I think you could be a P, and that might be something to look into (also cognitive functions! i loves them!). As for N/S, I didn't really get anything strong in either direction, besides #8, which felt S then N.

Maybe look into ISFP? It may not be right at all, but comparing yourself to another type can be revealing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you should consider ISFJ and ISFP too. Like periwinklepromise said you're an F and most probably an I. I think that you show more S qualities than N. The way see it you're probably an ISFJ. You seem to be good with practical Skills, imaginative and observant in a ISFJ way. I'm not saying that you couldn't be an intuitive type but I think you should look into the sensors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting analysis! It's odd how there's signs of both Fe and Fi within my answers considering every time I did the cognitive function quiz's, I would get "excellent use" of Fe and "average use" of Fi. (I have been depressed for a while now, which I assume would surface some shadow functions, but that might be digging too deep for an explanation/reason as to why they're both similarly developed.)

I have an assumption that my mother is an ISF* considering my grand-mother was typed ISFJ (she did the quiz first lol), but I don't know for sure. Now having read the ISFJ and ISFP, I didn't relate to ISFP at all, although ISFJ seems very "familiar" and quite plausible. I have my doubts on ISFJ considering Si is their Leading function and I keep getting excellent use of Ni with low Se/Si's.

Either way, thanks for reading and giving me some food for thought on types I hadn't considered :)!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
If I can ask, what about ISFP didn't you relate to? Reading your responses, especially those like #12, seem very much in line with common ISFP cognition patterns. I really do see a strong Ni-Se (as opposed to Si-Ne) axis in your answers--but the way you focus on the present while you dream about the future suggests Se>Ni to me (especially in answers like #14).

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
I believe you to be an INFJ

So I've been previously self-typed as an INFJ, but I'd like to hear what you guy's think! So here are my answers to this questionnaire.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
Too much self-typing – no outside influence or perceptions. I’ve been typed INFJ +/-80% of the time and INFP a couple times too which throws in some doubt, considering the amount of debates found online on this exact subject and the fact that the tests are considerably unreliable.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I yearn to accomplish something big that will leave a positive impact on the world – something in which people will use, cherish or remember even after my death. Sounds like an iNtuitive daydream.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
Working from home – I felt like I could do anything I wanted without superiority or anyone “bigger than me” telling me what’s right and wrong or what to do, only me to decide. Helping clients attain their dreams in architecture/construction – designing restaurants & houses and meeting people made me feel more satisfied than I would ever have imagined. You deciding right and wrong is more feeler, but also hints at intuitive thought. It's a misconception that Fe users do not make up their own mind of what's right and wrong.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
People who are condescending and un-empathetic towards my feelings and thoughts. (I also hate when people are like that to others.) The parenthesis shows that Fe side.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
People weigh on my decisions and they don’t even know it. This is bad tendency as I often neglect what I need for myself… -_-
Neglecting yourself is soooo IFJ. My ISFJ mom does this all the time.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I don’t like having control of the outcome per-say - I usually bring the ideas up, list out a timeline of when things need to be done and how to get them done, line up my ducks and run to the pond. People are often impressed about my ability to structure tasks and accomplish them in a timely manner. Work then play is how I do. This is judgment. You wanting to be prepared ahead of time, sounds like Ni.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
Playing in a band – I was creative, collaborated with friends, pushed ideas into songs, was the main composer of ideas, was out-going and met some people, played guitar learning new tricks and developing my sense of musical-style... You using your Ni to be creative while everyone is having a good time = Ni + Fe heaven.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Definitely more hands-on as I need to be the one to manipulate the object or work in order to decode how it functions. After having that understanding, I’m capable of theorizing and coming up with new conclusions. Memory is my downfall… Don’t even remember what I did last weekend sort of thing. Honestly, most people learn that way. I think that it's you trying to draw out you inferior Se by saying how hands-on you really need to be. You being hand-on is really your Ni creating a vision of what needs to be accomplished.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
I would say I’m organized – others have said I’m very organized. I write lists out and go highlighter crazy when I finish a task. The satisfaction in crunching a list before going to have fun is delightful. Ni

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I try to make sense of the principles behind it and see where it sorts out with all its surrounding implications. Theories and ideas are more interesting to me than factorial information. Ni + tertiary Ti. Since you are currently working from home, I'd assume you're age is 25+. That would mean your tertiary function should be developed already.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I make sure everyone else is doing fine... FeFeFeFeFeFe

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Need to think, know and believe what I have to say before I say it. Writing out my thoughts helps sorting what needs to be said. Sometimes over thinking = never speaking. One on one communication is my forte. Ni preparation meets Fe connection.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I like knowing where I’ll land but am often able to judge the landing in mid-air. Meaning I’m typically quick to adapt either way. Ni

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Despite thinking I should stay in and be lazy, I’d end up going out to have a bit of fun even if it’s not my place to go (like a club for example). It’s much better being with friends than being inside watching tv. I’ll get my well needed alone time after. Fe, I think I've made my point and I'll stop now.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
I tend to either become angsty, sometimes snappy (if I really need my alone time), but usually I mask it all behind a solid wall as I dislike when people know how I’m feeling. When I’m really stressed, I’ll lack judgment and critical thinking and anxiously scatter in my surroundings for distractions or answers.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
When people love to cause conflict or have behavior patterns that are repressing to others. I avoid conflict like the plague and truly believe in equality. Having said that, rarely do I dislike someone or can’t get along anyways.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Music, art, history, conspiracies, ideas, architecture, silliness, more music – although I rarely get to chat about this stuff as it’s seldom that I initiate conversation and lack the ability to quickly open up to people.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life?
Media, mainstream shit like Justin Bieber, what everyone else is doing (aka what society thinks we need to be doing), and I also try to block out some of the negative realities in the world as I can get frustrated by them… Essentially, all external information that won’t help me push forward as a person is what I pay the least attention to.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
Shy, quiet, reserved, observant, introverted, artistic, altruist, good listener, adaptable, intelligent, adventurous, resourceful, determined, sensitive, empathetic, compassionate, perfectionist, “good looking” – which is annoying to be told all the time (as though that’s the only thing that matters in humans?)....
What is wrong about their perception is that the “good looking” thing makes people have huge expectations and sort of seems to make them forget about trying to understand who I really am within my outer-shell. The rest is pretty much spot on other than how I am the entire opposite of a quiet introvert when I’m fully comfortable with a situation or the people surrounding me. (Most don’t believe that to be true – others only know that to be true)

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Hiking and fishing in a secluded provincial park all day to catch the sundown. Nothing more perfect than that. Well, actually give me a guitar afterwards to jam + a bunch of beer with good friends around a fire under a clear sky: that’s an ideal day.
I had to go through this because all the other commentators got your type wrong. As far as you being good-looking, don't be upset that is the only value that 90% of will people will perceive, first impression. Sure, as a person, you are far more than that...and nobody cares. If somebody does care about you and wants to be your friend or partner, than obviously they'd need to care about more than that, especially friends. Romantically, subjective physical attraction is like a cup. You can be full of personality, but if the cup is small, then most of it will spill out and the relationship is unsatisfying. You could also be a smokeshow huge chalice, but with little personality. Somewhere, there are guys content perceive small cups as water towers, while some bitter men make every woman a small cup, in their mind; vice-versa for women. I'd much rather have a larger cup, objectively, than a smaller cup.

Reactions: stuckinsky

·
Registered
615 Posts
commentary
I just think this is so interesting, how people can conclude entirely different things from the same pieces of information. I do see some of the Fe bits, but I still think a lot of that can also come from Fi. As for the Ni pieces, I tend to disagree. I know it can be hard to communicate online, but a lot of these connections seem like too much of a stretch. For example, #2 - not reliant on N/S axis; #3 - nothing to do with N; #6 can be explained by several things, not necessarily an internalized interpretation of abstraction; #7 could just as easily be an Fi-Ne combo; etc.

Here's the big one - #8. This is just not the perspective of an Ni-dom in an academic setting. I used to test as INTJ (still do, actually), but once I got an ISTP result. I tried to keep an open mind while reading, but as soon as it said I probably preferred to learn hands-on and may struggle with abstract theory or its relevance, I threw it out. Hands-on learning is totally valid, but it's totally not me. I hate labs with a passion, and I hate interactive learning opportunities; I don't need a model of the electrons to understand how they are arranged. I do solely abstract concepts; my Ni allows for a pretty quick grasp of that. It's the application of these concepts that I deem a little irrelevant to my understanding, a view shared by all of the Ni-dom and Ni-aux people I know, a view in keeping (I believe) with Ni individuation. For me, the key to interpreting this response was "After I have that understanding", as in "After I have done the Sensing thing, I can dedicate time to iNtuiting," which I believe to be indicative of an S preference. Everyone Senses and iNtuits. Sensors prefer S and then can do N; iNtuitives prefer N and then can do S. Our primary perceiving function shows what information we prioritize as the most important.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
I just think this is so interesting, how people can conclude entirely different things from the same pieces of information. I do see some of the Fe bits, but I still think a lot of that can also come from Fi. As for the Ni pieces, I tend to disagree. I know it can be hard to communicate online, but a lot of these connections seem like too much of a stretch. For example, #2 - not reliant on N/S axis; #3 - nothing to do with N; #6 can be explained by several things, not necessarily an internalized interpretation of abstraction; #7 could just as easily be an Fi-Ne combo; etc.

Here's the big one - #8. This is just not the perspective of an Ni-dom in an academic setting. I used to test as INTJ (still do, actually), but once I got an ISTP result. I tried to keep an open mind while reading, but as soon as it said I probably preferred to learn hands-on and may struggle with abstract theory or its relevance, I threw it out. Hands-on learning is totally valid, but it's totally not me. I hate labs with a passion, and I hate interactive learning opportunities; I don't need a model of the electrons to understand how they are arranged. I do solely abstract concepts; my Ni allows for a pretty quick grasp of that. It's the application of these concepts that I deem a little irrelevant to my understanding, a view shared by all of the Ni-dom and Ni-aux people I know, a view in keeping (I believe) with Ni individuation. For me, the key to interpreting this response was "After I have that understanding", as in "After I have done the Sensing thing, I can dedicate time to iNtuiting," which I believe to be indicative of an S preference. Everyone Senses and iNtuits. Sensors prefer S and then can do N; iNtuitives prefer N and then can do S. Our primary perceiving function shows what information we prioritize as the most important.
I am Ne dom and I prefer learning things hands-on. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean @stuckinsky cannot prefer that method. The only thing more important than hands-on for me is knowing the existential purpose of what I'm learning. You are right, after I intuit, I must sense. But I would not leave out the sensing, as an important part of learning.

You are right that several answers could go either way. You should also know that my conclusions were derived from recognizing the Ni+Fe. After I did this, I went through answers to make sure they could be consistent. Hey, I like getting drunk. You know who else likes getting drunk? People of all types, that's who. As an ENTP, I can say that getting drunk lowers my inhibitions and allows my Ne to frolic freely.

You could break down the answers, individually, but please feel free to create your own proof that Fi-Ne is the correct assessment.

Reactions: stuckinsky

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am Ne dom and I prefer learning things hands-on. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean @stuckinsky cannot prefer that method. The only thing more important than hands-on for me is knowing the existential purpose of what I'm learning. You are right, after I intuit, I must sense. But I would not leave out the sensing, as an important part of learning.

You are right that several answers could go either way. You should also know that my conclusions were derived from recognizing the Ni+Fe. After I did this, I went through answers to make sure they could be consistent. Hey, I like getting drunk. You know who else likes getting drunk? People of all types, that's who. As an ENTP, I can say that getting drunk lowers my inhibitions and allows my Ne to frolic freely.

You could break down the answers, individually, but please feel free to create your own proof that Fi-Ne is the correct assessment.
It's definitely true that you can't just type based on preferred learning methods. I just don't see an Ni-dom preferring to learn in a physically-engaged way while in preference. It's possible, of course, but not very probable.

And oh, I don't actually think Fi-Ne is best. My guess was maybe Fi-Se-Ni, but I'm not all that invested. I'm waiting for his response to TyranAmiros before I do anything further.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do understand how, as an INFJ, you don't need "a model of electrons to understand how they're arranged", but rather do so internally in forms of abstract concepts. Here's an example of how my way of conceptualizing and understanding something comes out of abstract ideas into concrete Se - despite having used the word *After*, explaining the contrary in #8.

When I was a kid, I was taught everything I needed to know about using power-tools as my father, whom I believe is an INFJ, is a wood-works/construction tech high-school teacher. At around the age of 12, my buddy and I decided to make a boat. Quite the stretch of an idea, but with 50$ and a local hardware store, anything was possible in our juvenile minds. So I drew everything I possibly could to make sure this concept of a boat that was stuck in my head would get built right, with the proper materials and ergonomics. In the end, the boat floated for 5 minutes and there wasn't enough caulking on the planet to hold the water out lol...

Hopefully that mini story sort of clarifies things. I've seen this process countless times, especially in my architecture college and through my musical writing. Vivid problems/concepts in head with no way to verbalize or explain to others; touch and play to make it real; more drawing board and constant, I mean, Very very constant thinking and back to real life Se-ing, then a final product.

- I think the Sensing / Manipulating the present, is what engages me into a concept helping me understand things that I wouldn't be able to decipher otherwise. If not, it always remains a concept / stuck in the clouds of my head among all the other elaborate concepts and ideas of mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I do understand how, as an INFJ, you don't need "a model of electrons to understand how they're arranged", but rather do so internally in forms of abstract concepts. Here's an example of how my way of conceptualizing and understanding something comes out of abstract ideas into concrete Se - despite having used the word *After*, explaining the contrary in #8.

When I was a kid, I was taught everything I needed to know about using power-tools as my father, whom I believe is an INFJ, is a wood-works/construction tech high-school teacher. At around the age of 12, my buddy and I decided to make a boat. Quite the stretch of an idea, but with 50$ and a local hardware store, anything was possible in our juvenile minds. So I drew everything I possibly could to make sure this concept of a boat that was stuck in my head would get built right, with the proper materials and ergonomics. In the end, the boat floated for 5 minutes and there wasn't enough caulking on the planet to hold the water out lol...

Hopefully that mini story sort of clarifies things. I've seen this process countless times, especially in my architecture college and through my musical writing. Vivid problems/concepts in head with no way to verbalize or explain to others; touch and play to make it real; more drawing board and constant, I mean, Very very constant thinking and back to real life Se-ing, then a final product.

- I think the Sensing / Manipulating the present, is what engages me into a concept helping me understand things that I wouldn't be able to decipher otherwise. If not, it always remains a concept / stuck in the clouds of my head among all the other elaborate concepts and ideas of mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe you to be an INFJ

I had to go through this because all the other commentators got your type wrong. As far as you being good-looking, don't be upset that is the only value that 90% of will people will perceive, first impression. Sure, as a person, you are far more than that...and nobody cares. If somebody does care about you and wants to be your friend or partner, than obviously they'd need to care about more than that, especially friends. Romantically, subjective physical attraction is like a cup. You can be full of personality, but if the cup is small, then most of it will spill out and the relationship is unsatisfying. You could also be a smokeshow huge chalice, but with little personality. Somewhere, there are guys content perceive small cups as water towers, while some bitter men make every woman a small cup, in their mind; vice-versa for women. I'd much rather have a larger cup, objectively, than a smaller cup.
Thank you for taking the time to go through all that jazz. I also appreciate your final comments. I would have to agree that 90% of people will only perceive what is the first impression and leave it at that - It's exactly that that bothers me most about my "looks" as there's fare more to me, and others for that matter, than what is seen. It constantly seems like people never want to peel away the layers behind what's merely a shell, and in turn, they have totally different expectations of you than what may or may not be true....

Anyways, coming back to the MBTI typing, your conclusions are much more relevant and in tune to what I'm saying, despite perhaps my lack of clarity in some of the answers. As you've highlighted, Fe is dominant in almost all of what I've written, despite Fi showing up here and there (as stated by others). I know as a fact that Fe is one of, if not, my most used cognitive function considering everything I do goes through a decision and thought filter based on others' feelings/vibes. - Which bites me in the ass too often as I don't always end up doing what I want for myself... There's also been too many moments in my life that I've soaked in others' problems and emotions to then be certain that I could help them solve and in hopes that they become happier and a better person. I also always know how to act around people and know how to tap into what gets them going or not, and I always know when someone is up or down or what ever other emotion even when they don't say it/hide the emotion.

As for Ni, I'm still trying to fully get a grip of how it works in my case, but every time I've done the oh so reliable quiz's, it always came up "excellent use"...... Your comment on #2 states an "iNtuitive day-dream", which yeah, you're absolutely right, that whole answer is an extremely condensed and general version of a daydream I had when I was much younger in which I still believe in. I thought about it for days, maybe months, despite it meaning nothing at all, yet meaning so much to me, all the while having the thought spark from nothing at all. I can still write an essay about this concept, but won't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts