Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while now I've wondered whether my father and I are on the spectrum. If we are, I would consider myself (and him) high functioning. Low functioning, I'm...idiosyncratic personality at best.

Because of this, I get accused of having personality disorders a lot. Not in the past, but more so now that mental health awareness is an issue and everyone wants to categorize, or label, anything they feels uncomfortable so they have the enemy to stop it*. As a matter of fact, I feel like society has become less resilient over time, because there is a huge push to move things forward (mostly moral/political issues) on a macro level (which is fine), but at the expense of individual understanding.

One of the things I've been labeled with (not by clinicians but society) is Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Recently, I've even had someone tell me that the inability to remember names or faces is a symptom of NPD. I don't think that's necessarily true, and I don't consider myself a narcissist...So...I would like to see if you peeps and I can gather the same conclusions on some very basic picture analysis. There are several things I'm looking at here....This is basically going to be kind of like a rorschach for society, but not really.

What I would like you to do:

View this pic for about 30 seconds and tell me what you see in it. Please....for science.

*That's next level thread worthy, but not something I'm asking with this.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,595 Posts
For a while now I've wondered whether my father and I are on the spectrum. If we are, I would consider myself (and him) high functioning. Low functioning, I'm...idiosyncratic personality at best.

Because of this, I get accused of having personality disorders a lot. Not in the past, but more so now that mental health awareness is an issue and everyone wants to categorize, or label, anything they feels uncomfortable so they have the enemy to stop it*. As a matter of fact, I feel like society has become less resilient over time, because there is a huge push to move things forward (mostly moral/political issues) on a macro level (which is fine), but at the expense of individual understanding.

One of the things I've been labeled with (not by clinicians but society) is Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Recently, I've even had someone tell me that the inability to remember names or faces is a symptom of NPD. I don't think that's necessarily true, and I don't consider myself a narcissist...So...I would like to see if you peeps and I can gather the same conclusions on some very basic picture analysis. There are several things I'm looking at here....This is basically going to be kind of like a rorschach for society, but not really.

View this pic for about 30 seconds and tell me what you see in it. Please....for science.

View attachment 883851

That looks like worry/fear/anxiety to me.

As for an inability to remember faces or names, I saw a 60 Minutes segment about face blindness. People literally cannot remember faces and put names to them.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Names are arbitrary and require by rote learning so that's understandable, but faces? Yeah, as tan mentions, look into face blindness.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts

View attachment 883851

The worry here is accompanied by oral fixation, thumb sucking, a slouch, rounded features. The self-indulgence is RANK. This is a desire person, concerned with image, yet unable to quell her own self-indulgence sufficiently.

The fear/worry there THUS is ruled by desire entirely, not pragmatic enough. Organization has become the slave of presentation.

The result is a player in a game within which the BEING of the person has little chance (of socially defined success). The anger factor is too low. Confidence is almost absent. The only confidence this person will express is embedded in their own delusional self-indulgent idealism. Virtue signaling will be rampant. Actual discipline with virtue itself will be rare.

Reactions: BadGirl

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Stressed, worried, nervous or anxious about something that either has happened or is about to happen.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,345 Posts
She looks like she's worried or concerned (eyebrows drawn up in the center), possibly feeling sypathetic worry on behalf of another person she's listening to, or she's reflecting inwardly about her own concerns. I see a bit of disbelief in her expression (like 'how could this happen?') it's something about the eyes or height of the eyebrows, and a not knowing what to do in the way her arms are pulled in towards herself and her hand by her mouth, like she's trying to think and can't find words.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The facial expression in that image is 100% fake, there is no point in analyzing 30 seconds because you realize it after 2 seconds. I don't even know what it wants to convey, I'm not interested. I'm not impressed by fake emotions. I have nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Looks worried or distressed.

You talk about remembering names and faces in your post, then ask us to identify an emotion. I don't see the connection.
As a matter of fact, I feel like society has become less resilient over time, because there is a huge push to move things forward (mostly moral/political issues) on a macro level (which is fine), but at the expense of individual understanding.
It's not clear to me how that makes or indicates that society is less resilient. I understand that this is not the point of your post.

One of the things I've been labeled with (not by clinicians but society) is Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).
How many people have labeled you thus?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Edit previous post: you didn't ask us to identify an emotion.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I see a dimly lit (what I assume to be a) bedroom, a color scheme I don't like, and someone who looks distressed and has prominent eyebrows.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm having a learning curve when quoting...

Anyway, yeah, those videos are cool. I'm not that bad. I do recognize faces sometimes, but at others...If I don't interact with you at least 80% of the current time, I won't be able to recognize. It's like a very small window of facial recognition. Much larger for names.

For example, I once spent an entire school performance, looking at the wrong kid....It wasn't like I couldn't recognize my own, it's that I saw one and was like, "Yup, that looks about right." Then later I saw mine, and was like, "OMG!!!!! What a horrible human being..." Lol!

What does it mean if you have this and/or can't recognize people? I recently had someone tell me it was a symptom of NPD...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, all I see in her eyes is desire. Want. Hope. Stemming from something unfortunate.

So, desperation.

Like someone who let's it all ride. Because they have nothing left to lose. She's comforting herself in anticipation for bad news and still looking forward with horrible regret in her eyes. This is a gambler.

·
INFP
7,063 Posts
I see a room with a cozy feel, earthy colours, evening light, an upset girl/woman sitting on a bed, a lamp behind her, striped jumper, dark curly hair, a bit longer than shoulders, with a shape where it grows that make the forehead narrow, with a nose that is also rather narrow, a bit drop-shaped, big eyes with.. shapes that I don't know how to describe, something about the upper inner area, and the tilt at the outer side, dark thick eyebrows, with a kind of wave to it, and some not quite wrinkles, but almost, between the eyes, rounded cheeks, in a not puffy way, and clear darker skin, and the corner of the mouth has a kind of shape that I think is important to the face but don't know how to describe. She holds a hand in front of her mouth, and the arm of the jumper is pulled up a bit over the hand, both these two thing give me the impression of wanting to protect oneself in some way, emotionally. I am not sure what the emotion is, but it is negative, and there is anxiety involved I think, but I am not sure if it is a strong emotion in itself or trying to project something to a person it is communicated to. It could be sadness, or just stress/anxiety, strong worry about something that happened or will happen. Possibly a feeling of... trying to push away something "oh no, that can't be... no, no, no..." "I don't want to, I can't...no, no, no" but that is a guess.

I am not sure this test is all that useful if the purpose was comparing to other people about face recognition, as it seems it is not so much a conscious process (thinking about the upside down faces in the 60 minutes video). My spouse is not fully faceblind, but somewhat probably, and did a test some time ago, where I could tell all but one face, and he could tell two only, missing people like marilyn monroe and madonna, elvis... who I know he knows well. But he does recognise some people, so it seems it hasn't got to be all or nothing. He recognize close people, but have trouble with fairly close aquaintances often. They stop him on a street and talk and he comes home telling about it and wondering who it was, or tells how he realised after talking for some time.

·
Registered
INFJ - 4w5 (459) - so/sx
394 Posts

View attachment 883851

Sadness for another or concern. Her emotion is directed outwards toward the tv or whatever and she's feeling bad for another. If she was feeling bad for herself she'd be looking around with wider eyes.

I not good with names either but I'm okay with faces. I can talk to people for months and not remember their names, unless they have an emotional impact on me. It's the worst when my dad tells me all his relatives names and I can't remember them when they quiz me on it. I wanted to kill myself.

·
Registered
859 Posts
(everyone has already said what was on my mind)
So, I’ll describe with emoticons: 😥😟

So people who would read this expression as "worried, fear, sadness, negative" are "normal" and people who read otherwise like "happy, angry, surprised, disgust" are abnormal? Perhaps emotional blindness?

I see these professional body/facial language interpreters on YouTube (deconstructing video apologies, or public statements) sometimes humbly stating “We can’t actually read their minds... There’s a probability that this is the case... But very hard to tell with 100%”certainty, though there are tells which they may not be conscious of controlling which conflict with other signs, particularly for people trying to hide their intentions.”
(Respect them for it.)

·
exploring space
10,328 Posts
I saw worry first but can glimpse the other emotions you describe. Ultimately I don't think it's a good idea to rely on acted emotions as they're bound to be mixed up or wrongly reconstructed since they're not real.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts