Personality Cafe banner

Help me make my homework!

[INFP] 
1K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  davisk 
#1 ·
No, i'm not going to write my assignments down so you all can do them for me, or am i?
No, no i'm not!

For school i have to do a bunch of stuff that includes self-reflection.
I SUCK at this, does anyone have any tips and/or hints on how to do this without violently trashing the place in the process?

#4 ·
I didn't quite understand the work you have to do, can you explain a little bit please ? :unsure:
Are you just asking for motivation or do you need help on the subject you have to study ?
Sorry perhaps I'm just stupid :unsure:

(hahaha this is funny, I want to help you do your homework but I can't motivate myself to do mine :dry: ).

#5 ·
Usually they don't mark too heavily on self reflection because everyone goes through different experiences.

Generally you want to admit a fault then follow it up with how you matured over-time and made a correction on your original view. Not only do some teachers get off to seeing you admit to an insecurity / ignorance, but they also especially like seeing how -they- helped you in some way (meaning, if you go this route then mention a discussion that was in class then relate it to yourself). If you do that, it looks like you pay attention too! Ahhhhhh hahahahaha

It doesn't necessarily have to be true either, I think I once wrote how I thought University life was going to be all parties and all that, but learned I seriously have to buckle down and focus on my studies if I wanted to make the best out of everything. Blah blah blah, there are lots of amazing teachers on campus that are brilliant beyond the curriculum they teach and you can learn more from them if you pay more attention + interact with them, yatta yatta yatta. (Reality? I was the one that buckled down for the first semester of Uni then half assed my way through the rest. Most of it was simple-minded, boring, and worthless, but I needed the extra line on the resume).

#10 ·
Or maybe you should, obviously your opinion of what introversion is, is lacking.

All my teachers are male, so that won't work either :p

And my assignment is pretty much about me writing down about how i see myself and blah blah.
I'm mostly having issues about letting everyone know how i feel about, well anything :p

#11 ·
I still don't completely understand what this assignment is about, but I'll assume it's as straightforward and simple as you stated it...

Here is what helps me when I'm writing: I'll figure out an applicable metaphor/analogy or visual illustration that i want to center my whole idea or topic around - something visual and interesting. And as the concept is in my mind, I begin writing with that concept.

If you don't mind, perhaps I can share what I mean through writing my own self-reflection? For this writing, I will take the concept of self-reflection literally, as in, in order to self-reflect I will look at myself in the mirror, and as I look in the mirror, my face will begin to metaphorically tell me things about myself:

As I peered into the corridors of myself, I was struck with a deluge of thoughts and feelings, none of which would afford me the opportunity to properly consider them. Overwhelmed, I considered how I might be able to catch a better glimpse of myself, and then the spark arose from my thoughts - to self-reflect, what better way than to inspect my own reflection? Carrying this idea with me, I arose and walked to my bedroom mirror, and there I stood face to face with myself. I looked myself in the eye and waited, for what, I did not know.

As I looked into my own eyes, I was reminded of my own perception - how I observe things in this life. For so many years I have seen this world as something so empty, a place that does not fit the ambitions I store inside. But as I stood there I came to realize that perhaps this world is missing these aspects because people like myself have held back from turning our ambitions into something the world can share in and experience. And possibly my own eyes are spent looking so often inward, that I do not recognize these things existent in other people.

I breathed in deeply and exhaled forcefully enough to see a bit of condensation appear on the mirror. As I noticed this I thought about how my life is spent taking things in, and inevitably exuding things outward. The trees also do this, and what they release is oxygen that benefits this whole earth. What do I take in, and what do I give out? My mind was apprehensively coaxed to recognize the many fruitless hours I had spent beholding and engaging in things that ultimately hold no value to me, things that did not help me to produce the things that I want to produce in life. What, then, should I inhale into my being? I realized that what I truly need are those things which spur me to engage life and lead me to gain knowledge and experience that I can benefact others with and experience satisfaction by.

Upon the entrance of these understandings to my heart, the corner of my mouth rose with silent joy. To then see the physical sign of joy evident in the mirror, it magnified my response, and my mouth rose even more until my teeth greeted me in my reflection. "Yes, that is just it!" I said to myself out loud. "That is the effect I want to have on others. I want to take in the things in life that produce joy in my heart, put a smile on my face, so that when others see my smile, they will find a smile within themselves as well."

At that I chuckled, not out of any certain hilarity, but simply to revel in the moment. Hearing the sound of my own chuckle, I began to think about my ears, those strange satellite-shaped things stuck to the side of my head. I realized that I have ears both on the outside and on the inside. I hear the sounds of people and the world, and I listen to the thoughts as they roll by in my mind. But hearing is different than listening. I began to question myself, "What do I listen to?" I cast my eyes downward for a moment, as I admitted to myself that I didn't always listen to the things that would enrich my life. When I heard others speak, my ears were quick to listen to any hint of rejection or criticism, but would handle compliments like hot potatoes. And the same was the case on the inside. The thoughts I most seemed to listen to inside were those that spoke to me about my own limitations, and the thoughts that spoke with confidence would too often fall through the cracks.

"It's time to listen to truth, and listen to uplifting words and thoughts," I said assertively to my own reflection. For a moment I held my head up with confidence, to symbolize my conviction. With my head raised I began to notice the massiveness of my own nostrils. I inhaled through my nose, only to see them gape open all the larger. As I smelled the air, I curled my lip as I detected a faint foul odor. "Oh, dang it. I forgot to take out the trash again," I said. At that moment I noticed how the nose is very much like intuition. It detects things we can't see, and can make deductions based on those readings. It became apparent to me that, like how I had noticed the trash problem, I too often used my intuition to detect negative things...things I expected to happen, things I expected others to do or think, and negative intuitions about the way the world around me is. Yes, I also intuited many good things as well, but the amount of focus on and acuity in detecting the negative things really stuck out to me. "That can't be good," I told myself. The nose can smell so many things, but too often we don't realize what our nose is doing until we smell something bad in the air. I decided that both with my nose and my intuition, I wanted to pay attention to the indicators all around me, and practice noticing the things that would be encouraging to me and others.

At this point my mind was starting to weary of thinking about these things, and I realized that now was a good moment to step back into the world and put these things into practice. I walked down the hall and out the front door, put my chest and arms out and inhaled deeply, looked around, and said to myself, "There is so much here. What should I take in, and what does the world need me to give back?"

------------

Anyway, that was just an example of how to get a rhythm going. Once I came up with the illustration, of looking in the mirror reflection as a mode to self-reflect, and let individual parts of my face become metaphors for aspects of my life, all I had to do was start the writing process. I didn't actually realize how much I'd enjoy writing this, though! I think I'll put it in my blog.

#13 ·
Perhaps copy and paste your MBTI answers, using paragraphs? I had to do this for one of my psychology courses. It's tough, but I was able to complete the task. Does the assignment have pin-point questions or is it completely open-ended?

#16 ·
When it comes down to it, you know who you are. The problem is that you don't know what it's like to be other people. It's hard to give yourself a foil. Foils always make main characters more understandable.
My advice---
Imagine explaining what it feels like to be you-- to your parents or a mother/father figure, your best friend, a teacher. How do you say it to each of them so that they understand exactly what it is going on in your head, while still appealing to everything that they stand for?

This is how the majority of my soul-searching goes. It's more organic than that, of course... it sounds so plotted on paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.