Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I filled out this questionnaire thing, and I think I may actually be an ENTP, or something else maybe. Argh, the struggle never ends. Help a confused soul out!

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?

At first I would just be angry and confused. Then, when I found out, I would probably find some way to pity myself; like, “How could this happen to me, I just wanted a normal relationship, now I have to devote time to someone with cancer, ugh.” Then I would feel extremely guilty for thinking that, because you know, I’m not the one with cancer. I would really dread going to the hospital to see her because I wouldn’t know what to say, things would probably get awkward, I would feel obligated to stay with her until she dies, and who knows how long that would take. And I would feel like a horrible person for feeling reluctant to stay with her. Basically, a mess.

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?

Um, I dunno. My feelings would probably be… sad? Just a guess.

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

Oh, of course I would help him! No hesitation here. For a few reasons:

He is only asking me to tutor him, not copy my answers. This is important because it signals he actually wants to learn from his mistakes.
If he doesn’t pass the test, he’ll fail the class. I would never sentence someone to that if I had the chance to save them.
I would never be able to live in the same room as him if I refuse to help.
The professor will never know, so why wouldn’t I?
Now that I’ve helped him with something (and it didn’t even really cost me much), he owes me back.
The sheer social pressure would cause me to cave in.

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?

The fact that he’s my roommate and the fact that the test is very important to him passing the class. If these things weren’t true, I might not help him.

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

As soon as he asked, I would probably agree without thinking. After that I would make up reasons to assure myself that what I did was the right choice (see above).

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

Project 1. It has less to do with my information processing than with the fact that it gives me a chance to interact with people without having to physically approach them in my own time, which is impossible for me. Even though it has a more significant impact, the pressure of the project would be distributed between everyone and I might even get to to slack off a bit. Plus project 2 sounds boring. That said, I actually work much better alone, I just have more fun in a group.

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?

Pretty much entirely the fact that project 1 is group work. Unless I was really interested in the subject material of project 2 (which is unlikely), group work would definitely be more fun and fulfilling.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.

At first I would try and interject how I think the project should go and what we should do, which inevitably would be ignored. Then I would reluctantly decide to just go with what everyone else is saying, and when the groundwork was laid out, I would fence off a quarter of the total available work and claim it as mine. After that it would basically be an individual project, and I would spend the rest of the group time goofing off along with any friends in the group. If the other people are people I don’t know/like much, I might actually focus more.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.

I do not work well with people. Either I’m not inputting much, or I’m essentially planning the entire project. Considering there are 3 other people on the job with a “strong work ethic,” I’m guessing it’ll be the former. My priority with any kind of group work is having fun, which is why I would get the “work” part either finished or transferred to alone time as soon as possible. Also, If I don’t quickly define the amount of work I’m going to do, people tend to dump their work onto me. I don’t know why.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?

Here’s what I would be doing:

Playing whatever video game interests me (if applicable)
Reading whatever book interests me (if applicable)
Going on a walk/hike/bike or visiting some interesting destination near me (if I’m motivated enough to get dressed and out of the house)
Watching Netflix/Youtube
Doing my math homework. This actually helps me relax. Strange, I know.

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?

Positive interactions with people. If I feel like part of a group and people laugh at my jokes, I get a kind of rush of nervous energy that lingers long after. Negative interactions, wherein I get ignored or feel awkward, drain that energy real fast. Unfortunately, these happen more than positive interactions, which is why I tend to avoid people altogether; the risk is greater than the reward.

SCENARIO 6

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor

- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

Engineer, scientist, and artist. Being an engineer (specifically an environmental engineer) is pretty much what I’ve always wanted. It would allow me to make a difference and help make the world a better place, while at the same time using skills that I’m good at (math and science). Scientist is the obvious second choice, with maybe less real world application. I chose artist because I enjoy drawing, but It’s hard for me to force creativity and I’m not always in the mood for art.

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?

Scientist and Engineer were automatic choices. The third one was a bit harder, but I chose artist because it corresponds to things I actually like to do and I can kind of imagine myself being one.

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you, where do you imagine finding the most fulfillment and why?

I wanted a job that would actually be important, first of all. Second of all, I wanted something that corresponds with what I like to do. And… that’s about it. I imagine finding the most fulfillment in the jobs that I chose, for the above reasons.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Choice 1: ESFP
Choice 2: ENFP

E, F and P are definite from my perspective. It's the S vs N that has me confused. I'd say you're borderline S. ESFP my guess.

Reactions: Frigiderm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Choice 1: ESFP
Choice 2: ENFP

E, F and P are definite from my perspective. It's the S vs N that has me confused. I'd say you're borderline S. ESFP my guess.
Hmm, interesting. That's almost the opposite of what I thought before! But now I can actually see how that could work. I do have some concerns, though.

1. I'm interested in math and science above all else, which I hear is pretty rare for an ExFP.
2. Most people would call me shy and withdrawn, and I don't have many friends. I just find it hard to interact with people except for some close friends. I'm incredibly jealous of most people's social skills.
3. Most times I've done the mbti I got INTP. I did get ENFP once.
4. I'm horrible with emotions. People tell me I have a monotone voice, and displaying a wide range of emotions makes me uncomfortable, as well as receiving it from someone else.

This is still a big possibility, though. Could you elaborate on why you think E and F?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Frigiderm said:
1. I'm interested in math and science above all else, which I hear is pretty rare for an ExFP.
Don't listen! ExFP simply means "driving force is to share everything fun with everybody around them," and there's no reason why math/science couldn't be the thing they love sharing.

2. Most people would call me shy and withdrawn, and I don't have many friends. I just find it hard to interact with people except for some close friends. I'm incredibly jealous of most people's social skills.
4. I'm horrible with emotions. People tell me I have a monotone voice, and displaying a wide range of emotions makes me uncomfortable, as well as receiving it from someone else.
OK, now that does sound like I-T-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't listen! ExFP simply means "driving force is to share everything fun with everybody around them," and there's no reason why math/science couldn't be the thing they love sharing.
Thing is, though, I don't love sharing it! I keep my intellectual pursuits to myself in fear of sounding like a nerd. Most people I don't know very well probably see me as comic relief, for my awkward trip-ups in any physical activity or when I have to talk on the spot. Which I think is great, but still!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Thing is, though, I don't love sharing it! I keep my intellectual pursuits to myself in fear of sounding like a nerd. Most people I don't know very well probably see me as comic relief, for my awkward trip-ups in any physical activity or when I have to talk on the spot. Which I think is great, but still!
Hence the second part :wink:

·
Registered
797 Posts
There's a great emphasis on your dealings (the process and the outcomes) with others in your answers. I think you use Fe, but you may be at a stage in life where you are made to use this function more consciously and often. Your Ti (intellectual pursuits you keep to yourself, which I surmise come more naturally to you) thus moves to the back of your consciousness, but it's there.

So I'd say xxTP, since I don't yet have a strong impression of what perceiving functions you use. If I had to jump the gun, I think INTP sounds like a good fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a great emphasis on your dealings (the process and the outcomes) with others in your answers. I think you use Fe, but you may be at a stage in life where you are made to use this function more consciously and often. Your Ti (intellectual pursuits you keep to yourself, which I surmise come more naturally to you) thus moves to the back of your consciousness, but it's there.
Wow, that's actually spooky! Almost exactly my suspicions. And considering I probably don't use Se, that narrows it down again to INTP and ENTP.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hmm, interesting. That's almost the opposite of what I thought before! But now I can actually see how that could work. I do have some concerns, though.

This is still a big possibility, though. Could you elaborate on why you think E and F?
You prefer to be in groups except when working on projects. Could you elaborate if you need to talk to generate ideas or if they come from within? "Brain dumping" is what Extroverts do. It's how we think. If this is not something you use a group for then you are likely I.

F because you can be motivated by guilt. Also you feel empathy for your roommate who is only using you for a grade and has not ever asked you for anything before. T would tell him to beat it.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
I was thinking xNTP so far. Not sure if you're extroverted or if your enjoyment in group work is because you enjoy the generation of lots of ideas^. I think there are signs of Fe/Ti and you didn't come off as an Se user to me, like an ESxP would. The first two scenarios did seem like what an F type response, but maybe this is Fe in an xNTP? Anyway, figuring out your type depends on the reasons behind your motivations :) At the moment you appear slightly more introverted but these are just my thoughts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You prefer to be in groups except when working on projects. Could you elaborate if you need to talk to generate ideas or if they come from within? "Brain dumping" is what Extroverts do. It's how we think. If this is not something you use a group for then you are likely I.
Ideas definitely come from within. I do "dump" my ideas on people to see what they think, but I never really use their feedback, oddly enough. I just want their approval. Whenever someone else gives me an idea, It feels like cheating. The reason I like to be in groups is because it makes me feel socially accepted. Yes, I am that shallow.

F because you can be motivated by guilt. Also you feel empathy for your roommate who is only using you for a grade and has not ever asked you for anything before. T would tell him to beat it.
Can T's not feel empathy or be motivated by guilt!? Humans have emotions, it's a thing. In any case, that wasn't really "empathy." I just feel like they would hate me or think of me as a bad person if I didn't help them. I'm not motivated by his grade so much as my reputation. Although I do still care about that.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ideas definitely come from within. I do "dump" my ideas on people to see what they think, but I never really use their feedback, oddly enough. I just want their approval. Whenever someone else gives me an idea, It feels like cheating. The reason I like to be in groups is because it makes me feel socially accepted. Yes, I am that shallow.

Can T's not feel empathy or be motivated by guilt!? Humans have emotions, it's a thing. In any case, that wasn't really "empathy." I just feel like they would hate me or think of me as a bad person if I didn't help them. I'm not motivated by his grade so much as my reputation. Although I do still care about that.
People pleasing, common trait for us N types. I think you answered your own question. INTP from what I've seen.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wow, that's actually spooky! Almost exactly my suspicions. And considering I probably don't use Se, that narrows it down again to INTP and ENTP.
I thought so, kind of because I had a similar experience while I was typing myself. At one point, I thought I was an Fi type, but my situation at that time called for a greater introspection of my values than I've ever done before.

It takes observation over time to get a big picture over the cognitive functions one uses, mainly because they are not isolated units but they work in conjunction with each other.

What do you think so far are your perceiving functions, based on what you've gathered about them? Why possibly Ne over Se?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you think so far are your perceiving functions, based on what you've gathered about them? Why possibly Ne over Se?
Well, for one thing I'm horrible at hand-eye coordination and just generally dislike anything physical. Se types are supposed to be good with incoming sensory information, and I'm... not. I'm not one for going out and experiencing things, either. Plus I have good reason to think I use Si: I'm quite sentimental, I keep useless things because they mean something to me, and I can get stuck in the past.

I'm somewhat less clear on the intuition functions. I'm not too clear on the distinction between Ne and Ni, and I'm unsure about intuition in general. Basically, I think that I use Ti first and Fe last, and I use Si over Se, so I must be INTP. That's what people seem to think I am, and the descriptions fit me.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well, for one thing I'm horrible at hand-eye coordination and just generally dislike anything physical. Se types are supposed to be good with incoming sensory information, and I'm... not. I'm not one for going out and experiencing things, either.
Then it's sound to place Se lower in your stack of function, if not there at all, making ISTP much less likely.

"Plus I have good reason to think I use Si: I'm quite sentimental, I keep useless things because they mean something to me, and I can get stuck in the past."]Plus I have good reason to think I use Si: I'm quite sentimental, I keep useless things because they mean something to me, and I can get stuck in the past.
Hrm, these are more of common characteristics of Si users (but they don't apply to all of them, which you'll see in the forums) rather than the function itself. Si relates a stimulus to some information in your consciousness that you yourself have processed before, like making associations to past experiences, etc.

At the INTP sub forum, I saw a description of INTPs based on their functions. You might want to check it if anything resonates with you. An INTP Profile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts