Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard to type my Dad because he's traditional and concrete and all that, but he is the black sheep in the family and he is a huge rebel. Set a rule, he'll break it. And he'll be like, MWAHAHAHAHA!

Dad: Definitely a Thinker. Of this I have no doubt. Otherwise, I'm just not really sure of anything. I suspect he is a Sensor, or some type with a strong Si.

• He seems to enjoy time to himself to think.
  • He likes to talk. A lot. About really specific interests which only he holds. Really loudly. At length. If one asks him a question, he will not only answer it, but unleash all his encyclopedic knowledge of the subject, of which he has tons. He also bridges everything to his really specific interests. He blogs a lot and takes it very seriously, like a job.
  • He really loves to mess with people/scare them. Eg. I'm afraid of heights, going across a swinging bridge at a ridiculous elevation. He gets on the bridge and starts jumping up and down and swinging side to side. x_X
  • He can pick up any instrument and play any song by ear. He then proceeds to say that he sucks at it.
  • He gets really upset and starts yelling and cussing over things which the rest of us don't find important at all - things like where silverware is placed in the drawers and things.
  • He works really hard at a stressful, dangerous job to support us financially, and rarely takes a sick day, if ever. He's worked at the same company since before I was born.
  • He went to school majoring in engineering because that's what a career aptitude test said he should be doing, but he never finished. He now wishes he had pursued his interest in becoming a chef.
  • He thinks he's "evil" but he's totally not. He's my daddy. :laughing:
  • He really strongly believes in respecting his family no matter what.
  • HE IS RIGHT! All the time. Even if he's constantly down on himself, he is still correct.
  • Here is how he became my dad: My mom and dad had known each other for years, were friends. My mom had just separated from my biodad and was pregnant with me. One day on a trip together with some of their friends, dad got mom aside and declared his intentions: he said he wanted to date mom, they didn't have to get married, and he thought he could be a great father to me. They did that, and it worked, and dad was there for me when I was a fetus, he was there for my birth, and he was my dad ever since. After my biodad died, my dad adopted me, so he became my legal father and I took his last name. He didn't have to step up like that, he could've bailed out on me at any time, but he never did.
  • He's not very mushy, really, with me or with my brother, but he puts my mother on a pedestal. We all know he loves us, though. That's just... something you never even have to doubt with him... he never has to say it, you just know. He will, though. Well, with his kids, really it's an occasional thing. Ha.
  • He and I have hugged maybe two or three awkward times in memory.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply.

Based on your description of him. He sounds much like my dad who is an ISTJ. I wouldn't hesitate to say that you father is an ISTJ.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply.

Based on your description of him. He sounds much like my dad who is an ISTJ. I wouldn't hesitate to say that you father is an ISTJ.
Thank you! That is what I thought, but I kept second-guessing myself. Poor Dad, he's the only Thinker and Judger in the house! And we're always like, "Why are you stressing out all the time? Relax!" :tongue::crazy:

·
Registered
122 Posts
HE IS RIGHT! All the time. Even if he's constantly down on himself, he is still correct.
INTP, 100% confidence.

Just kidding, it's nearly pointless typing people through other peoples' descriptions of them, imo. I'm not a bad phototypist though, if you have several face pics available.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
INTP, 100% confidence.

Just kidding, it's nearly pointless typing people through other peoples' descriptions of them, imo. I'm not a bad phototypist though, if you have several face pics available.
I really don't think I do. He mainly avoids the camera. *sadface*

·
Registered
122 Posts
I really don't think I do. He mainly avoids the camera. *sadface*
Oh, no, you're not getting me involved in your damned emotions! *srs face* :)

Well, if he decides to post, let me know, I can do that too.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, no, you're not getting me involved in your damned emotions! *srs face* :)

Well, if he decides to post, let me know, I can do that too.
Hmm. I don't think this would be his sort of thing. He like weather blogs and The Consumerist. He's not very interested in personality theory.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Your Dad sounds like a XSTJ, although I will take a personality test for him to confirm it. Basically, I'll just pretend to be him and take it. I do that with some people, and my perceptions are usually accurate. I took the test, and he got ISTJ, and I think that might be true. You said he likes talking about certain subjects, but I don't think he likes socializing in general, which means he's an introvert.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmm. I don't think this would be his sort of thing. He like weather blogs and The Consumerist. He's not very interested in personality theory.
Have you considered some kind of SJ type for him? I'm sure you have, lol.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MilkyWay132 said:
Your Dad sounds like a XSTJ, although I will take a personality test for him to confirm it. Basically, I'll just pretend to be him and take it. I do that with some people, and my perceptions are usually accurate.
Thank you, mine too. :wink: I actually did a basic breakdown in my head, but it was mainly loose guesswork. He and I keep our distance from each other to avoid personality clashes.
Have you considered some kind of SJ type for him? I'm sure you have, lol.
My first thought was probably ISTJ. I knew he was a Thinker and I knew he must have a really dominant Si (because he's always freaking out about things like, "I couldn't get the brand name I was familiar with!"). The problem was that I didn't have any other ISTJs to compare him to.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My first thought was probably ISTJ. I knew he was a Thinker and I knew he must have a really dominant Si (because he's always freaking out about things like, "I couldn't get the brand name I was familiar with!"). The problem was that I didn't have any other ISTJs to compare him to.
For what it's worth, MBTI functions (Si as dominant for ISTJ, for example) are entirely wrong and never helped anyone figure anything out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts