Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I've just found my way to the miraculous world of personality tests and I feel that the descriptions have provided an answer to many of the questions that have ravelled in my mind. According to the tests I am an ENTP, enneagram type 7 with 6 wings and I am glad to know this 'condition' of having too many ideas and interests, and trying to avoid boredom and stuck-up rules is also other people's problem (as well as an opportunity).

I am in the verge of finding myself a career after graduation (done BSc in communication and MA in brand development) and the issue here is that I think I could be relatively competent in many of the positions out there, but I am not sure what profession would make me the most content with my life.

Would really like to hear about your experiences on the matter. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I am in the verge of finding myself a career after graduation (done BSc in communication and MA in brand development) and the issue here is that I think I could be relatively competent in many of the positions out there, but I am not sure what profession would make me the most content with my life.
Basic advice for an entp: avoid jobs with repetition (in the long run. In the short run, you can't avoid it when you're starting). Have you already done some internships in marketing(it sounds like what you're in)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bellisaurus,

Thanks for your super fast reply!

I've done a couple of marketing internships, which have been ok but not very challenging. I've applied to a couple junior posts now but I always feel like I am too much of a creative mess for the employers to take me as a serious candidate. I always feel that in jobs like those you have to be very organised, career oriented/ambitious and perfectionist. but thats just my highly INTUITIVE feel about it, who knows ;)

Aaanyhow will continue trying. Need a future.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, it really feels amazing to read others having the exact same issues.

Thanks and have a great day Bellisaurus!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bellisaurius is right on the money about repetitive jobs...they will drive you crazy. I'm 7w6 and and ENTP, and I go crazy at any sort of repetition in my job. I went into supply chain planning, where even the repetitive components of the role (every job has them) are usually complex problems. My first career job was designing an inbound JIT transportation network for the largest auto manufacturing facility in North America.

However, most entry level jobs are all about repetition. You get the boring stuff that the next levels up don't want to do any more. But don't fret. Spend the extra mental energy (and trust me, you'll have it) finding ways to automate the repetition, improve the database, streamline the process, etc...to overcome the 'monotony'. Don't complain about it - there are Enneagram types that seek out such work, and are too afraid to leave it for something new.

If you don't spend the energy on improving the current job, you might find yourself envisioning yourself as a Manager, a Director, a VP...within a couple of years. It might happen, but odds say it won't. That can get frustrating and as 7s, we lose our frustrations in quick fixes of stimulation. Unfortunately, our brains can learn some bad habits to overcome the boredom...there is a reason why 7s are so prone to addiction.

Just remember, you won't be in your entry job forever. You probably won't be in the same career stream.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I am an ENTP 7w6 also. I work as a Systems Administrator that works in a NOC (Operations side; keeping everything running smooth) and if I wanted to be like the rest of the small town <insert something derogatory>'s here I'd just enjoy doing the same things over and over again and be content. Being an ENTP 7w6, I find ways to automate things and simply tasks. It's insane how much more complex people make things than they have to be. I just pile through the crap and find ways of automating repetitious tasks and find ways to minimize doing the same things over and over again.

When you first start out, you're probably going to get a lot of crappy grunt work that is very boring and repetitious. Try to find ways to do it more efficiently and done faster (with the same or better quality) than others. You'd be surprised how many other people take notice to it and start involving you in other stuff. Remember by making things more efficient, you are adding value to your place of employment. The more value you add, the more valuable you are and the faster you will work your way up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PowerShell and I are on the exact same page. Spend the extra 'head space' to make things better, and then put it into action. At first I found it easy to talk about ideas, but I found making it a reality was much better for more 'concrete' personalities. It may take a few extra non-work hours, but when we 7w6 get going...yikes.

I know a couple of other 7w6, and interestingly enough, we're all ADHD. I wasn't fully diagnosed until I saw the leading expert in adult ADHD a few years ago. Any others that fall in this category?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm an ENTP & works in a multinational food company

In my case it's a bit different. I don't know how it is in another part of the world, but currently in Asia there's a trend in 'Graduate Management Program' made by big companies. It's usually a year which combines daily job with excessive managerial training to bypass the career ladder. College graduates who enter this program usually become managers after just 2-3 years of working. And of course, this program is highly selective in choosing graduates from each university. Yes it's my EGO which made me accept the offer. I sometimes want to kick myself for that :laughing: stupid, unctrollable ego.

What I've learned from this is it's a bit hard for an ENTP to SUDDENLY handle too much management without experience (we're not ENTJs afterall). It's stressing for me because I have to master it in a year (I have a team, I have clients left to none but myself, I have my own projects, and worst I have to do all the FOLLOW-UP until finish, etc) and I don't have much time to play around with my mind & hobbies.

Plus big, established companies usually have 'values' 'tradition' 'procedures' kind of thing & they'll try to brainwash you. Not all of it are bad, but sometimes they can get 'very feely' and tend to push people to publicly share 'their passions, values, humane mission (like CSR)' and such. Something I'm not comfortable telling to everyone. And if you contradict anything, you're considered a MISER.

I think you should consider choosing a small start-up company which you think have potential to expand (expanding products line or expanding business to other countries maybe). My INFP friend (IT major) works in start-up company where she can design the system, the company's mission, products, and such & not many people involved so you'te not tired for keeping track of so many things. Plus the deadline is usually still flexible. Your managerial ability will grow as the company grow, so you won't have initial shock like me.

Hope this helps! What matters is you're happy with the job
@DragonJay yes my psychologist friend actually suspected me of having ADD (without H). Being a pharmacist myself I've studied medical textbooks & the symptoms actually fit. Have you been diagnosed by a clinician?

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
Plus big, established companies usually have 'values' 'tradition' 'procedures' kind of thing & they'll try to brainwash you. Not all of it are bad, but sometimes they can get 'very feely' and tend to push people to publicly share 'their passions, values, humane mission (like CSR)' and such. Something I'm not comfortable telling to everyone. And if you contradict anything, you're considered a MISER.
Policies and procedures are important if they're relevant and are efficient. The problem with a lot of big companies is they move slow and change very slowly. The procedures become outdated or there are so many of them, the process itself is bloated with inefficiency. If you're an ENTP 7w6, it's going to drive you nuts have to do 10 extra steps to get the same thing done you can do a lot more efficiently. I know it does for me. I push to change certain things with varying degrees of success but overall it's like basically trying to hold the water from a tsunami back with a small board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts