Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new to the forum and looking for help... I have been an ENFP for most of my life but lately have felt different. I think it's the P/J that's changing... I feel like I HAVE to be more structured in order to survive in the "real world", but it's boring. I'm miserable... I miss being energetic and carefree! I don't wanna be organized and weighed down with responsibility! (Does that sound crazy?) Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how did you deal with it?

I've also been going through some tough times and fear that that might be changing me as well. Wondering if my F is changing to T... I miss movies that make me cry! Feel like I'm phoning in a lot, as in acting like I always have but feeling empty/not genuine... like I'm faking it.

Feeling lost, any input would be greatly appreciated :happy:

Thanks a million!!

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
You're okay. F usually doesn't change to T. But your tertiary function (Te) does start kicking in at some point. You don't need to be frightened of it. It's important to integrate your whole personality.

Perhaps you should remember to also honor your Fi as well? Go ahead and journal and let yourself watch sad movies and listen to music every now and then. If your Te is coming in, you are probably using a lot of external environment. This encourages it. So be sure to also get your alone time in so you can get in touch with your Fi and decision making function. You don't want to go into an unhealthy loop.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
the ENFP mullet!!!

To survive at work... and frankly to be able to accomplish anything :) I have learned to act like a J in some ways/circumstances.

It's like a mullet: J in the front; P in the back!

During the week I schedule crap, drive decisions in meetings, blah blah blah
On the weekend I ensure there's a lot of unstructured time to wander mentally and physically. Go on walks, go to new places, be spontaneous, putter around the house, write in a journal, read a book, BE SILLY, etc.

Sometimes I find ways to be a little silly during work hours too. :tongue:

I like the changes because it means I get things accomplished that are important to me. I still use my ENFP super mindreading and mentoring skills ALL THE TIME. And I use my NF visioning and drive towards that vision.

I like to find little ways to impose structure on myself, so I can then be wild and free w/in the structure and still get something accomplished, move in the right direction. For example, I organize information in to tables or slides, then I can be creative filling out the tables and slides, within the overal logical outline.

business in the front, party in the back!!!

Sometimes a little structure helps me be my best.
So long as I have time to be a wild wanderer : )
and give out lots of high-fives.

·
Banned
2,036 Posts
If you always stayed the same, I could see it being a problem.
People do change, as they experience life.
A personality is little more than the way others perceive you.
It is not who you are.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Your type doesn't change, it's innate. Like Pink said, it could be one of your inferior functions becoming more active, but if you are an ENFP then you always will be. Trying to be something you're not will only make you miserable. There are excellent ways of using your Percieving function to be every bit as productive as a Judger, if not more. See Structured Procrastination for instance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts